The end of your world

I just love Adya and I think he deserves his own forum.

Re: The end of your world

Postby James » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:43 pm

Glad to see moonmissy here again.

Brad, I really like The End Of Your World too. I went through periods of meaningless in the past, I think for most people it is a passing phase. Eventually it seems the emptiness wants to dance, (to echo moonmissy). Although perhaps life can manifest through some individuals as complete emptiness, who knows for sure? I would just be OK with it when it is happening, it does not need to be a problem, there can be a paradoxical experience of peace and contentment in that meaningless/emptiness. Let it happen on its own.

I'm reminded of a bible passage. Jesus supposedly said that you cannot put new wine into old bottles. I take it to mean that the old wine, the false concepts, are dumped out first... thus emptiness. Or perhaps even the entire bottle or container needs to be discarded, (the old sense of self). We could say the new wine is the dancing part, (just don't drink to much of it, hehe). But I think it is best not to anticipate what that will be like in the future, it will arrive in its own time and way; if that is how it is to be expressed through you. Be open to unknown, unlimited possibilities.

james
James

Postby occam » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:06 am

moonmissy wrote:Hi BradD,
Like Adya say.....when you still see that there is someone there on the way to getting enlightenment, you're not there yet.
The world is just what it is...even the illusions are all expression of one.

There is no personal "I" to love another, to be depressed...to be sad....there is love, sadness....like waves on the oceans, it happens.

Adya is one big faker!
You see your quote above?
Why not quote him where he says that he gets frustrated with his computer?
Velcro thoughts he calls them
One minute he's proclaiming that he is this ocean of awareness, then the next he admits that he gets frustrated with a computer - blah!!!!
Where's the 'abiding' enlightenment there?

Also, you ever noticed how often he says "as a spiritual teacher"?
massively identified and likes to promote himself too
would the most effective teacher have few or many students?
occam

Postby DWBH1953 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:55 pm

[quote="occam"sad....there is love, sadness....like waves on the oceans, it happens.[/quote]

Adya is one big faker!
One minute he's proclaiming that he is this ocean of awareness, then the next he admits that he gets frustrated with a computer - blah!!!!

massively identified and likes to promote himself too[/quote]

Yes I noticed, be careful Occam idol destroying is a dangerous business, I hope you put on your bulletproof vest after that last comment!
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana
DWBH1953

Postby Craig » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:23 pm

occam wrote:Adya is one big faker!

Just because someone's awakened doesn't mean that emotions and feelings disappear. If "abiding in enlightenment" means that there are emotions, it's going to be an eternity before the abiding occurs.

As for promotion and identification, that could be, but I'm not sure how much one can effectively "judge" whether or not another person is awakened. Furthermore, it has been acknowledged in many spiritual teachings that awakening is an ongoing process; there can be a deep realization of there being no one, and yet that might not always be the case in every day existence.
Who am I?
Craig

Postby randomguy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:43 pm

occam wrote:Adya is one big faker!

One day years ago at work I happened to see a keyboard flying out an office door and crashing against a wall followed by some choice obscenities from the mouth of my good friend and frustrated computer user. If he were to get up from his desk, walk over to me and say, let me tell you about abiding awakening, I might have a good laugh and feel something similar to what you have described above. So I understand what you are saying.

Hypocrisy is not tough for the mind to find in most teachers. The measure is in the value of the teaching.

A faker might be careful to conceal his experiences with thought identifications from computer use. Adya's teachings level with his students regarding the awakening process, imperfections, mythology, etc. My dishonesty alarms haven't rung yet. I heard the interview regarding the computer frustration and abiding awakening. He implies a nearly certain permanent awakening for himself but does not absolutely claim knowing full freedom from mind identification in the future. Frankly, I resonate more strongly with Katie's statement that there is no such thing as permanent enlightenment because that implies knowledge of the future.

It could be as simple as Adya considering recognizing as false thoughts about computers as relatively slower than other thoughts from his own perspective (not necessarily as compared to his past unawakened self). Really, can you see him slamming his keyboard around? He also says those thoughts are quickly recognized. But who knows. I still intend to listen to his teaching.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Postby DWBH1953 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:55 pm

A faker might be careful to conceal his experiences with thought identifications from computer use. Adya's teachings level with his students regarding the awakening process, imperfections, mythology, etc. My dishonesty alarms haven't rung yet. I heard the interview regarding the computer frustration and abiding awakening. He implies a nearly certain permanent awakening for himself but does not absolutely claim knowing full freedom from mind identification in the future. Frankly, I resonate more strongly with Katie's statement that there is no such thing as permanent enlightenment because that implies knowledge of the future.

It could be as simple as Adya considering recognizing as false thoughts about computers as relatively slower than other thoughts from his own perspective (not necessarily as compared to his past unawakened self). Really, can you see him slamming his keyboard around? He also says those thoughts are quickly recognized. But who knows. I still intend to listen to his teaching.[/quote]

It is good to keep listening, all I can say about Adya is that he have a great stage appeal and a wonderful talker and is very intelligent you put those 3 things together and he would do well in selling anything including non duality. Only the person that says they are awake can tell you if its true or not and also error as there are people who have convinced themselves they are awake and are not.
I do feel that awakening is a process and continues on.
My gut feeling is Adya is not faking but he is also not all that is claimed to be and I could be wrong. He makes bundles of money now and his group is getting very large and is mostly the case when people grow so fast so quick something changes and it becomes more about the money, the organization than about just sharing truth.
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana
DWBH1953

Postby Javonni » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:48 pm

If that is the worst thing you can find on Adya, then I believe he is okay, in my book anyway.Geez, he has never claimed to be absolutely perfect.

Javonni
When someone asks me who they are or what God is, I smile inside and whisper to the Light: "There you go again pretending."
~Adyashanti
Javonni

Postby Lee28 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:10 am

I've just started reading the end of you're world. I am new to adya's teachings and find this book a good pointer. In fact, i think its great. hehe. even if that may be a thought of the ego. :D
Lee28

Postby Sighclone » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:37 am

Randji -

I was about to say something on this subject, but you nailed it; thanks for that post and not copying 500 words above it. He is close enough to being awake for me to learn from - if that puts me in kindergarten, so be it.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby +Jim+ » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:59 am

Lee28 wrote:I've just started reading the end of you're world. I am new to adya's teachings and find this book a good pointer. In fact, i think its great. hehe. even if that may be a thought of the ego. :D

Pointers only have value if you wake up!
Otherwise you will make a pretty map of what you 'learn', you then forget that it's a map and then spend years trying to find your way out of the maze that you created.

Sighclone wrote:He is close enough to being awake for me to learn from - if that puts me in kindergarten, so be it.
Namaste, Andy

"Close enough", hmmm you ever heard the phrase "a miss is as good as a mile"? That's more than applicable when it comes to awakening.

There is nothing to learn Andy - that's where you step into the mind maze.
Awareness needs no time and needs no content.

Javonni's signature
When someone asks me who they are or what God is, I smile inside and whisper to the Light: "There you go again pretending."
~Adyashanti

is a perfect example of Adya's spiritual pretentiousness. His publications are full of such self-aggrandizement.
Intellectual understanding is totally inadequate for meeting daily life.
It's like attempting to nourish yourself on the memory of yesterday's lunch!

http://simplyenlightening.wordpress.com/about/
+Jim+

Postby Sighclone » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:21 am

Hi, Jim!

Believe it or not, I actually agree that Adya is not a perfect teacher...that he sounds pretentious from time to time. So does Eckhart, so do I and so do you.

You say
There is nothing to learn Andy

But in your blog you say:

If you truly ask and don’t answer from memory you will discover the true nature of thought - it will be revealed.
This cannot be over-emphasized…… if you don’t accept a single second-hand answer then there will be revelation.

Now any question can be asked and the truth discovered.
What is suffering? What am I? Who am I? What is time? What is love?

Sounds like a big lesson to me...seems like many of us have much to learn.......what do they say about glass houses?

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby +Jim+ » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:25 am

Sighclone wrote:Hi, Jim!

Believe it or not, I actually agree that Adya is not a perfect teacher...that he sounds pretentious from time to time. So does Eckhart, so do I and so do you.

Andy, do you think that everything is just a matter of opinion?

You say
There is nothing to learn Andy

But in your blog you say:.......

You and I mean something totally different when we talk about learning.
You mean accumulate, I mean insight.
Insight cannot be stored, it is ever new.
Insight into thought ends the confusion of concepts - now all is revealed and any human subject is realised in a glance.

+Jim+

Postby bosbrownie » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:24 pm

Sounds like you've been in the "so what, now whats." I had months of this after the shift. I think it's quite common. You wake up out of the Ego and don't feel much purpose or connection with Life. It passes, I promise.

Laura
bosbrownie

Postby great2be » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:01 am

bosbrownie wrote:Sounds like you've been in the "so what, now whats." I had months of this after the shift. I think it's quite common. You wake up out of the Ego and don't feel much purpose or connection with Life. It passes, I promise.

Laura

Are you on drugs?
what relevance does this have to the previous posts?
An imaginary seeker, seeking an imaginary goal.
Realise the nature of imagination and the fallacious effort ends.

Have you ever seen a dog chasing it's tail?

What happens when the dog runs faster?
great2be

Postby +Jim+ » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:30 am

Craig wrote:Just because someone's awakened doesn't mean that emotions and feelings disappear. If "abiding in enlightenment" means that there are emotions, it's going to be an eternity before the abiding occurs.

Frustration is wanting things to be other than they are - arguing with what is.
When that happens one is truly not awake!

As for promotion and identification, that could be, but I'm not sure how much one can effectively "judge" whether or not another person is awakened.

When one is awake it is very clear where another is speaking or writing from.

Furthermore, it has been acknowledged in many spiritual teachings that awakening is an ongoing process; there can be a deep realization of there being no one, and yet that might not always be the case in every day existence.

That's a description of - to use Adyas words - non-abiding enlightenment, but doesn't he puts himself in the 'abiding' category?
There is no such thing as 'permanent' anything, as the future is wholly unknown.

+Jim+

PreviousNext

Return to Adyashanti