What is Adyashanti's view on free will?

I just love Adya and I think he deserves his own forum.

Re: What is Adyashanti's view on free will?

Postby kiki » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:16 pm

I reach a point during meditation where my mind spontaneously stops, my hearing becomes very aware of sounds and there is only present-moment consciousness. It's so peaceful. Like Adya says, it's a spontaneous awakening. Just like waking up, it just happens. Has anyone else experienced this in meditation?

Then your meditation is helpful.

If you get hung up on "meditating" for the sake of meditating you'll miss the point of it. Too many people turn it into a "practice", a ritual that "must" be done. That only keeps the "meditator" locked into the mind. The most important point in meditation is when the practice simply stops and there is no more mental input or impulse to keep a technique going.

It's weird, because on one level I know the answers,

That's right. The "level" the answers are known comes from what you are.

but on another I don't.

That's right, too. On the level of mind you don't. It's on the level of the mind that struggling to understand takes place.

Any suggestions from experienced meditators?

Be willing to let go of technique and simply be.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby James » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:26 pm

Rather than being a meditator with a schedule and a goal, can you be the space (no person), for meditation to happen, when it wants to happen?

james
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."
James

Postby Sighclone » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:44 am

No mind-blowing revelations yet. It's weird, because on one level I know the answers, but on another I don't.

The more I talk to people, the more I am convinced that each individual "awakens" in his or her own way, at his or her own pace, and with his or her own experiences, and that the differences in perception and explanation of the event/non-event are very broad, too.

Regarding the enquiry "Who am I," I recommend both Gary Weber's fine book "Happiness Beyond Thought," and Jac O'Keeffe's very different, but equally wonderful new book, "Born to be Free." Both of these teachers are devoted student of Ramana and have techniques for enquiry that go beyond the mental...

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby steve247 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:37 pm

Thanks for all your comments and recommendations.

My meditation is based on Adya's True Meditation. I start with a technique of watching my thoughts and then as I go deeper the technique loses it's significance until it's not needed at all, my mind stops and I just feel "beingness". I'm really enjoying it at the moment, I'm just not sure whether it's better to just "be" when my mind stops or to inquire. I think maybe the former.

Is it enough to just "be" as much as I can in order to awaken? Probably not but sometimes I do wonder if all the thinking about awakening could be counterproductive. :?
steve247

Postby Ananda » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:41 pm

steve247 wrote:Thanks for all your comments and recommendations.

My meditation is based on Adya's True Meditation. I start with a technique of watching my thoughts and then as I go deeper the technique loses it's significance until it's not needed at all, my mind stops and I just feel "beingness". I'm really enjoying it at the moment, I'm just not sure whether it's better to just "be" when my mind stops or to inquire. I think maybe the former.

Is it enough to just "be" as much as I can in order to awaken? Probably not but sometimes I do wonder if all the thinking about awakening could be counterproductive. :?

Of course, it is enough just to be. That's the whole of it. To be is to be awakened, to be who you truly are. Everything else will reveal itself as long as you abide in yourself :)
Ananda

Postby Sighclone » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:53 am

I do wonder if all the thinking about awakening could be counterproductive.

Maybe. Papaji speaks of "managing" the mind. But that seems like there is a controller controlling something - duality...subject and object. "Not this, not this" is part of the process of asking "Who am I?" In general, thinking is not the route to self-realization, but some cognitive exercises on the discovery path to "Who am I" are recommended at the start, by some teachers.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Webwanderer » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:44 pm

Is it enough to just "be" as much as I can in order to awaken? Probably not but sometimes I do wonder if all the thinking about awakening could be counterproductive.

I find this most "productive". Explore the nature of awareness without the use of thought. That is look directly into what constitutes being in clear silent presence.

WW
Webwanderer

Previous

Return to Adyashanti