Groked that my thoughts are not mine.....

I just love Adya and I think he deserves his own forum.

Groked that my thoughts are not mine.....

Postby Cheshirecat » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:22 am

Had an interesting experience yesterday. I was at an inservice. I usually dread going to inservices. But this one I had not.

I had been enjoying the inservice and it was about lunch time, when I had a thought that said " I can't wait to get home". In fact it was so there that I said it outloud. What was weird is immediately after saying it. I thought....that's not how I feel. I'm not in a hurry for the meeting to get over.

At that moment I really new the thoughts I have are not my own. :wink:

Just wanted to share.
If you see me before I get back....ask me to wait. Cheshire Cat
Cheshirecat

Re: Groked that my thoughts are not mine.....

Postby kiki » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:47 am

Good one - glad you've had this kind of breakthrough. I can be speaking to a class and hear the words come out and feel that they are just appearing out of silence, and that they aren't really "mine". I am so anchored in silence that the words just don't seem real.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Sighclone » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:50 am

Listening to yourself can be very liberating. For most, it's a bit scary. "Who is that speaking!?!?!"

In management classes, we are taught to listen to ourselves, first on recordings, later "in the real time speech." There can be a distance.

I've also found, however, that if we are not "invested" in our message, that our speech lacks impact. Getting lost in the message, however, does not mean you can't listen to it and hear it...it is a fine line.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Cheshirecat » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:50 pm

Thanks for the replies...

Sighclone I like the name. Made me chuckle.

I'm looking forward to experiencing more silence.

Getting lost in the message....I call that going "Zombie" I don't do that too much anymore. Where I'm at right now is being aware of the
message/noise/ brainwash and knowing its not me and acting on it anyway, especially with my eating.

Had a huge break through with knowing I'm not "me". That came from hearing Adya talk about how when one gets alsiemers it wipes our mind out and with hearing that it really knocked me into knowing I'm not " me". If all I am can be wiped out by alsimeirs then how can I be real.

Again thanks for replying it's good to connect with other that know. Can't talk to many people anymore about my journey without sound crazy. LOL
Cheshirecat

Postby Cheshirecat » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:19 am

The ego
I just had an aha go deeper.

I just bought some new clothes and had some thoughts about how fun tomorrow was going to be because of my new clothes. followed by being aware that it would not be enough though because it never is.

Now comes the deeper aha. I really don't think my ego has the ability to get this connection. I really feel my ego thinks it will be enough everytime.

Hope this is make sense. I can see that it's never enough but it feels like my ego gets fooled again and again and again.
Cheshirecat

Postby Sighclone » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:57 pm

Cheshire -

Recognizing the "my ego" is not me is large. However, expecting the impulses from the ego to just disappear after that discovery is not realistic. You have spent many years listening to the ego. Eckhart said, in an Oprah webinar, that he liked his new furniture. It had a nice shape. My point is that having a brief bit a pleasure at the new blouse is not a deal-breaker. The shoes are pleasant. They are not going to 1) satisfy the ego forever, 2) make any difference at all to Being.

I have a friend who buys many things she does not need, puts them in drawers in her house and buys more. She is miserable. I wish she had your insight...

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Return to Adyashanti