Anthony Demello

Re: Anthony Demello

Post by Juniper22 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:46 am

"Awareness" - Great book, read it some years back. I really appreciated the mans directness.
"Don`t think of goodness; don`t think of evil; at this instant, what is your original face?" Hui Neng

Post by Anois » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:52 pm

There is another little gem by De Mello called "The Way to Love". It suggests ways to to break out of your conditioning - to turn off the radio in your head and to be who you are.

Post by eagle2phoenix » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:58 am

I found his books The Prayer of the Frog I & II so zen. As a Catholic, I see him as a Universal teacher although radical to the Church. I know several Jesuit priests. Some are very open and zen like he was. That's how I learned about the line "Be still and know that I am God". As I mentioned in some other threads, the Church is changing, slowly but surely. After all, the Catholic Church is the largest organized religion.

I am not defending the Church but pointing out that there is some awakening happening.
Life is fascinating. Nature is beautiful. Live life with nature.

Post by nutrition » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:44 pm

De Mello is incredible. I think ET must have listened and read a lot of his stuff because many of ET talks contain a lot of de mello ideas and insights. DM is a lot more dynamic than ET. ET is getting into big business unfortunately. I hope he will be able to keep his integrity.
DM died at 56, and after reading what the vatican has written about him....I would question the way DM died

Post by olive » Wed May 19, 2010 8:03 am

I just listened to some of De Mello's audios. He is amazing.
Realization must be amidst all the turmoils of life. ~Ramana Maharshi

Post by peleke4 » Sat May 22, 2010 3:26 am

If you think Anthony Demello is amazing, I STRONGLY recommend you look into Vernon Howard.

Post by karmarider » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:18 pm

I watched de Mello's talks on youtube and find him highly resonant. I haven't read his books. I wonder if Tolle was influenced by him, because they use similar words.

I wonder if anyone knows about the circumstances around his death. He was relatively young at 56, and generally in good health, and was suddenly stricken by stomach pain, while traveling to NYC to give talks. The Vatican was clearly threatened by him and interestingly, de Mello mentions the discomfort that traditional religions have felt about the truth of awakened teachings.

Post by Sighclone » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:31 pm

Here is an interesting commentary: ... e-Mello-SJ

A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Post by Natalie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:22 am

I also love De Mello. He is very dynamic and quite charismatic. Love watching his videos on youtube.

I read something by his brother about how he died. According to the brother, they had dinner together at a hotel in NY and soon after, De Mello complained of a stomach ache and went to his room, where he collapsed and died. I believe his death was ruled a heart attack.

Will read Andy's link later and will also order Awareness on audio, if available.

Post by Barnabas » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:41 pm

I read Mello's awarness before i found Tolle.

And after reading Tolle's books i realized what Mello was talking about (why the question who am I is so important).

I feel like Mello does not go so straight to the thing as Tolle.

Tolle reveals the thing more openly in his books, when i feel that mello just gives hints about it.
It may be because of the audience. If Mello would have said it out loud in that situation what awarness is based on, many of the audience would not probably have handled it.

I found it nice that awarness is in Tolle's recomended reading list.

Do you know if Tolle has ever talked anything about Anthony De Mello?