Anthony De Mello

piotr624

Anthony De Mello

Post by piotr624 » Fri May 02, 2008 1:13 am

Hello friends,

I believe it was forum user "Chris" who introduced me to this man (indirectly). After reading some of his articles on his main website, I realized that this is the kind of spiritual help that I could really be in tune with, or learn better from, as an alternative to Eckhart Tolle.

The thing is, with Eckhart, often he says many things where I don't understand how he reached the conclusion he did. But with De Mello I can understand his reasoning, and finally resolve the inner demons within me that tell me: Just follow Eckhart, you know he's right, and: No, stop you fool! How can you let yourself become a cultist and go through life not understanding anything, enforcing the practise of awareness on yourself?!

In the end, the latter me was right. In fact, due to my misunderstanding, I wasn't practising awareness at all but just concentration. I learned from De Mello that awareness is like a floodlight - a state in which one can not be easily surprised by other things. In my so-called state of "awareness" that I created for myself, I was entirely focused on my body, and completely ignorant of everything else. I was drained of energy, and I kept getting signs from my spirit guides that I was not going on the right path.

I can understand now that the insanity of the mind is indeed understandable; I was incorrect to assume that anything to do with consciousness could never be understood with the mind. It is the awareness of the mind, and the understanding of how you operate that can lead you to discover the truth for yourself. I was just confused...I thought the mind could not understand anything useful, or spiritual...but here I am, reading DeMello's work, and seeing him type up a long essay talking about how a lucky reader may be able to snap into awareness and the true reality just be reading his words.

In fact, this is probably what Eckhart Tolle said too. I recall him talking about how just a few important sentences can be enough to awaken a person. So it seems to me the mind does play an important part - it needs to understand these things, and it can. It is just a matter of letting go, and I seem capable of doing that. I guess I really don't understand the distinction between the mind and me...so to deny one appears to deny the other. Oh, confused mind!

Anyways, suffice to say De Mello is a great and easily understandable author, and I feel many could derive great benefits from reading his works. Find them at this website!

http://www.demello.org/

dancer

Re: Anthony De Mello

Post by dancer » Fri May 02, 2008 3:02 am

Oh, confused mind!
The mind is confused because it's trying to grasp something. It's trying to know, to understand.

A quiet mind is like a clear calm peaceful lake.
:)

Craig

Post by Craig » Fri May 02, 2008 11:59 pm

Piotr,

I like De Mello too, and it's because the emphasis is not the same as Eckhart. Both are very valuable, and if you re-read Eckhart, you will probably notice or understand things that you missed before. What Anthony does very well is indicate how self deceived we are about many of our motives, and also about how much we care about things from society and other people that are truly unimportant- things such as whether or not we are liked, needed, appreciated, and so forth. I think one of the great strengths of De Mello is his emphasis of that "sociological side"- if you will- that we may not be aware of.

I also really liked how he deals with awareness, such as his instruction to observe what's happening as though it were happening to another person, and also his advice on watching what you say, what you do, what you act, what you think, and what your motivations are. I have found that the latter is particularly important, since most of what you say, think and do is a product of motivations that you may not be aware of. Just being aware of where your motivations are coming from reduces the effect of the ego. Here, Tolle's writing also is of value, since Tolle describes some of the fundamental problems of the ego, such as the belief that "I am not enough", which leads to most forms of role playing. In other words, Tolle points out little truths about the ego that help you become more aware of your motivations.
Who am I?

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat May 03, 2008 12:15 am

piotr624 wrote:The thing is, with Eckhart, often he says many things where I don't understand how he reached the conclusion he did. But with De Mello I can understand his reasoning, and finally resolve the inner demons within me that tell me: Just follow Eckhart, you know he's right, and: No, stop you fool! How can you let yourself become a cultist and go through life not understanding anything, enforcing the practise of awareness on yourself?!

In the end, the latter me was right.
Good choice. Cult followings are the last thing that ET would endorce. Anyone who blindly follows any teacher or teaching is looking at shadows. Eckhart Tolle, Anthony De Mello, William Samuels, Adyashanti and a host of other fine teachers point to the same essential truth. It is a truth that must be seen directly to be realized, and not rationalized through some conceptual perception of a written or spoken word. The actual taste of an orange is far sweeter than any discussion of it. Once experienced directly, discriptions and pointers pale.

So follow your instincts, and take what teaching serves you best in your own awakening. In the end, it is you who is responsible for your own choices. Be open to truth whatever it may be.

fifi

Post by fifi » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:57 pm

There are many good teachers around today, and De mello is a damn hottie!

and then there are 'the others', them kind that just pop up from nowhere and there's just no getting away from them :roll:

Natalie

Post by Natalie » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:28 am

One of the reasons why I love watching De Mello’s videos is to see the puzzled facial expressions of some of the members of the audience, probably devout Catholics who thought they had signed up for a boring religious retreat. :lol:

This is my favorite De Mello’s quote:

"Most people tell you they want to get out of kindergarten, but don’t believe them. Don’t believe them! All they want you to do is to mend their broken toys. "Give me back my wife. Give me back my job. Give me back my money. Give me back my reputation, my success." This is what they want; they want their toys replaced. That’s all. Even the best psychologist will tell you that, that people don’t really want to be cured. What they want is relief; a cure is painful."

This is a sample of his great work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GLzduey ... re=related

Enjoy, Natalie

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:46 pm

DeMello is great.

Here is another video. It is called "How to Pray" but touches on many topics. One aspect of DeMello's approach I enjoy is the many stories, anecdotes and jokes.
Google Videos DeMello How to Pray
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho