A quote

A quote

Postby goldieflower » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:35 pm

To understand suffering, you must go beyond pain and pleasure. Your own desires and fears prevent you from understanding and thereby helping others. In reality there are no others, and by helping yourself you help everybody else. If you are serious about the suffering of mankind, you must perfect the only means of help you have, yourself.

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

haha - no one to blame except goldie! And she's not real! hee hee hee hee :D
goldieflower

Re: A quote

Postby Amritam » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:45 pm

Thanks for that quote GF. Nissie is one of my favs.
To have a mind that is open to everything and attached to nothing.~ Tilopa
Amritam

Postby goldieflower » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Amritam wrote:Nissie is one of my favs.

Joy, Laughter, Lover, Teacher, Instructor ... and always Here.

:D

Nisargadatta Gita:

http://www.stillnessspeaks.com/The_Nisagardatta_E-Books
goldieflower

Postby goldieflower » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:57 pm

I read about the N/Gita from this quote from Ed Muzika. I was an excellent student, with A-itis to please my profs, so this instruction fits well:

About every other Satsang, Robert would tell us: "Your mind is not your friend". Often he'd stop in the middle of a talk and just say: "Stop thinking!" as loudly as he could, two or three times. Seung Sahn Soen Sa used to tell me all the time, mainly because I was always thinking too much: "You must become very, dumb, dumb as a brick". He would also say: "Go straight ahead!", meaning don't constantly try to figure things out with your mind even including the correct practice. But so many of you who read this are trying to figure things out with your mind. You ask: "What is the best practice? Am I doing this right? What about what Ramana said one time? Nisargadatta said this at one time, what do you think about that?" Your mind is always stopping you from getting deeper than mind. You are deeper than your mind and even deeper than consciousness, but until you stop following the lead of your mind, you will never get below mind, you will never find freedom. I did all that self-doubt, self-checking, got distracted, worried about making money, employment, played endlessly with philosophical and spiritual concepts, and just plain dawdled for 27 years. I could have done it in half the time if I hadn't 'wobbled' so much. Therefore, based on my own experience, I urge you to stop thinking. Just get hold of the Nisargadatta Gita, download it, print it out and read it every morning and evening. Then sit and ponder the meaning. Then sit as strongly as possible, find the 'I Am' feeling, and dwell in it, abide in it, immerse your attention in it. If you do it strongly and continuously, in a very short time you will begin to feel happy, and all your questions will begin to go away. Just go straight ahead with that practice. It is a matter of persistence and focus. All the experiences you have along the way are irrelevant, meaningless distractions. Just follow the deepening peace, the deepening 'I Am' until the 'I Am' disappears. This is when 'self-discovery' becomes really, really interesting. But until you reach this point, just follow the 'I Am'. Stop checking to see if you are making progress by comparing what I or anyone said about anyone's understanding or progress. ~ Ed Muzika
goldieflower

Postby runstrails » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:07 pm

Thanks, Goldie for the link to the Gita. It's wonderful. I've started highlighting my own favorite quotes from it that I can easily come back to.
runstrails

Postby Amritam » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:49 pm

Thank you Goldie for the link. I will be reading the Gita!!
To have a mind that is open to everything and attached to nothing.~ Tilopa
Amritam

Postby goldieflower » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:17 pm

Welcome! :)
goldieflower

Postby rachMiel » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:45 pm

Downloaded. :-) Thanks for the link, Goldie!

For those of you who are interested, here's a link to a another short (abridged) non-dual classic that a dharma friend recommended to me a few years back:

Yoga Vasishta Sara

From Wikipedia:

The Yoga Vasistha is a syncretic work, containing elements of Vedanta, Jainism, Yoga, Samkhya, Saiva Siddhanta and Mahayana Buddhism, thus making it, in the opinion of one writer, "a Hindu text par excellence, including, as does Hinduism, a mosaic-style amalgam of diverse and sometimes opposing traditions", providing an example of Hinduism's ability to integrate seemingly opposite schools of thought.

Enjoy! :-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Re: Another quote

Postby goldieflower » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:30 pm

Q: Can you enter into the mind and heart of another man and share his experience?

M: No. Such things require special training. I am like a dealer In wheat. I know little about breads and cakes. Even the taste of a wheat-gruel I may not know. But about the wheat grain I know all and well. I know the source of all experience. But the innumerable particular forms experience can take I do not know. Nor do I need to know. From moment to moment, the little I need to know to live my life, I somehow happen to know.

http://www.biogetica.com/i_am_that.pdf
Teaching 55
goldieflower

hee hee

Postby goldieflower » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:29 pm

You need not know all the 'why' and 'how', there is no end to questions. ~ Nisargadatta Maharaj

But ... but ... :)
goldieflower

Postby goldieflower » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:23 pm

Each pleasure is wrapped in pain. You soon discover that you cannot have one without the other. ~ Nisargadatta Maharaj
goldieflower

Postby goldieflower » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:52 pm

As long as you pay attention to your ideas, your own or of others, you will be in trouble. But if you disregard all teachings, all books, anything put into words and dive deeply within yourself and find yourself, this alone will solve all your problems and leave you in full mastery of every situation, because you will not be dominated by your ideas about the situation. ~ Nisargadatta Maharaj
goldieflower

Postby azooo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:53 pm

In each school of yoga, one can progress up to the point when all desire for progress must be abandoned to make further progress possible. Then all schools are given up, all effort ceases. In solitude and darkness, the last step is made which ends ignorance and fear for ever.
azooo

Postby azooo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:42 pm

You people have been coming here hoping all the time that I would give you a programme of what you should do in order to get 'liberation.' And what I keep telling you is that since there is no entity as such, the question of bondage does not arise; and that if one is not bound there is no need for liberation. All I can do is to show you that what you are is not what you think you are.

But what I say is not acceptable to most of you. And sortie of you go elsewhere, where they are happy to be given a list of do's and dont's. What is more, they act on such instructions with faith and diligence. But what they do not realize is that whatever they practise as an 'entity' only strengthens their identification with the illusory entity and, therefore, understanding of the Truth remains as far away as ever.
azooo

Postby goldieflower » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:21 pm

Realize that every mode of perception is subjective, that what is seen or heard, touched or smelt, felt or thought, expected or imagined, is in the mind and not in reality, and you will experience peace and freedom from fear. ~ Nisargadatta Maharaj
goldieflower

Return to Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj