Advantage of Awakening?

jamesp1013

Advantage of Awakening?

Post by jamesp1013 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:08 am

Nisagardatta concludes that the Absolute is the end of the search for awakening, but my interpretation of the Absolute is that is somewhat like a blob of nothingness, without awareness, consciousness, bliss, happiness or any sort of feelings. Therefore, why do we seek this? Is it because we think (A) bliss awaits us,? (B) it's better than the alternative, ?(C) we have no other choice, (D) Other people have told us we should? or (E) Something else.

I've spent many, many hours reading all of the popular teachers and spiritual literature, but it seems to me that none or at least very few of these take a common sense approach and gives simple answers which people without a lot of formal education, those without degrees and an extremely extensive vocabulary could understand. Maybe there's something obvious I'm missing, but I really don't think I'm alone.

This to me is a burning question, so I hope someone can relate and can fill in whatever I may have been missing all this time.

disengaged

Re: Advantage of Awakening?

Post by disengaged » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:59 pm

It's a burning question for you because you created it out of confusion. You asked for simple answers and the answer is indeed simple. No, no one is seeking the Absolute you are seeking -- a blob of nothingness, without awareness. You see your mind made up a concept about Absolute and fools itself into questioning what for.

My humble advice for you is not to think about Absolute for now. It's your true nature and it will be revealed to you in time. I would also venture to say that the most critical task for you is to listen to the voice in your head and stay unaffected by it. Eventually you can reread what Nisagardatta said and then you will understand a lot more than now.

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:26 am

I'd say, no spiritual teacher can make their truth your truth...it's filtered through a different perspective then yours. It took me a long time to realize this, I always thought I had to mold my thinking like theirs or I wasn't speaking from truth. They have wisdom, yes, but ultimately once you've tasted "it" on your own, you no longer need them in the same way or at all. The "it" is your true nature, who you really are. I think it's good you've read many spiritual teachers, they all have the same message it's just filtered differently. Oh, and it's not nothingness, it's no-thing. I'd also say keep posting on the forum it may help...
Take what you like and leave the rest.

EnterZenFromThere

Post by EnterZenFromThere » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:12 pm

I relate! :)

To be honest I find the whole, seeker / finder thing pretty unpleasant. To me, it implies there is a 'something' to attain, and that when this is done, your life is complete and that's it - you don't have to worry about all those stupid feelings, thoughts and behaviours any more. As if they are an enemy to be overcome and once that's done you can finally rest and forget about this horrid human experience.

I don't see Life like that. I see Life as a Joy!!! Every Feeling, Thought and Behaviour is to be Celebrated! I Am in the midst of Creation, flowing with Experience, Aware of my own Uniqueness and simultaneously the Wholeness within Every Amazing Thing!

This is how I see it at the moment from my own limited perspective. I don't know much about Nisargadatta, but I know he isn't me. His Way is His Own. My Way is My Own. His words speak through the filters of his own experience and pass through ours for us to interpret. Just like anyone else. There is so much room for mis-interpretation. He isn't God (not directly), though he is connected to and seemingly aware of the God in Him. You are connected to the God in You too. I see awakening as an increasing awareness of this - the God in You. But an awareness of this isn't the only purpose we are here. We are embodied in the Human Experience to Experience It!!! That includes all the Human stuff as much as the Divine stuff. I see My Life as an Exploration of every Aspect of my Experience and through that a Creative Expansion of My Experience. A Harmonisation of every Experience, be it Individual, Cosmic, or Divine.

I feel that striving for some idea of enlightenment as a means to an end misses the point a little. We are the Creators of Our Experience. I'd rather Create an Experience of Love and Light than hunt after someone else's words as if they are gospel.

Just my opinion. Other opinions are available :P

Love,

Jack

EnterZenFromThere

Post by EnterZenFromThere » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:31 pm

It just occurred to me that Nisargadatta didn't read or write and didn't speak English. So there are potential translational issues with any word attributed to him. Also, he spoke to an individual, one-on-one, and answered specific questions for one specific individual's perspective at one specific time. So any information from him that is taken out of the context of that one specific individual has the potential to deviate from Nisargadatta's reason for saying those specific words. I find it helpful to be aware of the limitations of perspectives when deciding whether or not to align with them. Obviously, that includes my own perspective and my own words :P

Love!

Jack

Enlightened2B

Post by Enlightened2B » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:17 pm

jamesp1013 wrote:Nisagardatta concludes that the Absolute is the end of the search for awakening, but my interpretation of the Absolute is that is somewhat like a blob of nothingness, without awareness, consciousness, bliss, happiness or any sort of feelings. Therefore, why do we seek this? Is it because we think (A) bliss awaits us,? (B) it's better than the alternative, ?(C) we have no other choice, (D) Other people have told us we should? or (E) Something else.
I'm not so sure where you derived of your own interpretation of the Absolute from. I forget, but is this what Nisargadatta said? He, along with many other contemporary and older Advaita gurus might have had strong experiences/realizations of the Self, but many of these gurus did not know how to integrate it into their human experience and therefore as DJ said above, their teachings are filtered through their own interpretations.

I don't buy into enlightenment ideas anymore to be honest, at least not in the way that many eastern teachers portray it. I read a spiritual blog where the author who practices Vedanta recommended that it could potentially take 27 years (as it did for him) to fully attain enlightenment through constant spiritual work/searching. This is the silly stuff being sold in the spiritual community. That's basically a waste of a human life if you ask me.

True enlightenment doesn't have to be a destination or a constant 'state' or something to attain as Jack wonderfully posted above. Instead, to me, it is a number of factors including expanding your perspective and being able to step out of the limitations of the human mind, by making the unconscious....conscious (integrating old emotions and unconscious beliefs) and becoming more aligned with that feeling of 'unconditional acceptance' towards life itself. You can't just 'feel' unconditional love unless you can actually go beyond the judgement/labels taking place in the mind and start to see how life merely 'just is' and it's all beautiful. We all still judge and place labels, which is perfectly fine because....we are after all....being....human and it's human nature to create opinions about this, about that, etc. :D You can start to become more conscious though when you see the judging happening, by being more attuned with your experience. Deep breathing/self inquiry/meditation/inner body awareness are all wonderful methods to recognize this nature beyond thought.

vivianamis

Post by vivianamis » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:13 am

There are some advantages that come with "Awakening". For one the search is over. Everyone is seeking consciously or not. It may seem that we are all seeking something else, but in the end its all the same.

For those that actually reach the goal, it was not because of any gifts or rewards that pushed them "over the edge" . It was a matter of life and death.
"To know the Truth, you have to be out of your mind"

nowlove

Post by nowlove » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:07 pm

I haven't fully attained it so I can't correctly answer your question. However I've had glimpses of it every now and then after doing my spiritual practises and I must say its amazing. The main advantage for me is the profound bliss and peace that you experience. Its so deep and powerful and you just have this deep knowing that All is Well :-)