Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Post by LOVE BOMB » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:59 am

The root of frustration which the civilized man feels today lies in
the fact that he lives not in the present moment but for the illusory
future, the future which is only a creation of brain and therefore a
mere inference based on memory, a futile abstraction at best.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It is impossible in life to have the pleasure that is wanted without
the pain that is not wanted. They are in fact mutually
interdependent and therefore inseparable.

As long as the sense of Being or the consciousness dwelling in the
body does not realize its true nature, it is bound to identify with
the body and all its actions by claiming doership. But as a result
of this claim, it is subjected to intense suffering when the body
goes into disintegration and approaches death.

Breathing goes on by itself while the deluded individual thinks it is
he who is breathing. Thoughts come from outside, arising
spontaneously through intervals of mental vacuum, and he thinks it is
he who is thinking. The thoughts get transformed involuntarily into
action, and he thinks it is he who is acting. All the while, he is
doing nothing but to misconstrue the actions of the Totality as his
own action.

Just as the flow of a river ceases once it reaches the sea, so also
do all disciplines and effort for liberation cease when one meets the
guru. Meanwhile, what is the use of accepting the illusory nature of
the universe and everything in it while excluding yourself?

Post by heidi » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:11 pm

Jose - Thanks so much for those gems! The site just got richer.
wonderment on the third wave

Post by LOVE BOMB » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:08 pm

"The world is but the surface of the mind, and the mind is infinite.
What we call thoughts are just ripples in the mind. When the mind is
quiet, it reflects reality. When it is motionless through and
through, it dissolves and only reality remains. This reality is so
concrete, so actual, so much more tangible than mind and matter, that
compared to it even a diamond is soft like butter. This overwhelming
actuality makes the world dream-like."

Post by LOVE BOMB » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:28 am

What is generally understood to be prayer is nothing more than one
fictitious entity called 'me' begging for something from another
fictitious entity called 'God'.

Post by quitesane » Sun May 15, 2005 10:13 pm

Here is a link with a lot of Nisargadatta on in:

Post by be-lank » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:15 pm

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj answers questions.

Absolute Perfection is Here and Now

Q- The war is on. What is your attitude to it?

A- In some place or other, in some form or other, the war is always on. Was there a time when there was no war? Some say it is the will of God. Some say it is God’s play. It is another way of saying that war is inevitable and nobody is responsible.

Q- But what it your own attitude?

A- Why impose attitudes on me? I have no attitude to call my own.

Q- Surely somebody is responsible for this horrible and senseless carnage. Why do people kill each other so readily?

A- Search for the culprit within. The ideas of “me” and “mine” are at the root of all conflict. Be free of them and you will be out of conflict.

Q- What of it that I am out of conflict? It will not affect the war. If I am the cause of war then I am ready to be destroyed. Yet it stands to reason that a thousand like me will not stop wars. They did not start with my birth nor will end with my death. I am not responsible, who is?

A- Strife and struggle are part of existence. Why don’t you inquire who is responsible for existence?

Q- Why do you say that existence and conflict are inseparable? Can there be no existence without strife? I need not fight others to be myself.

A- You fight others all the time for your survival as a separate body-mind, a particular name and form. To live you must destroy, From the moment you were conceived you started a war with your environment- a merciless war of mutual extermination, until death sets you free.

Q- My question remains unanswered. You are merely describing what I know- life and its sorrows. But who is responsible you do not say. When I press you, you throw the blame on God, or karma or my own greed and fear- which merely invites further questions. Give me the final answer.

A- The final answer is this: Nothing is. All is a momentary appearance in the field of the universal consciousness. Continuity- as name and form- is a mental formulation only. Easy to dispel.

Q- I am asking about the immediate, the transitory, the appearance. Here is a picture of a child killed by soldiers. It is a fact- staring at you. You cannot deny it. Now, who is responsible for the death of the child?

A- Nobody and everybody. The world is what it contains and each thing affects all others. We all kill the child and we all die with it. Every event has innumerable causes and produces numberless effects. It is useless to keep accounts, nothing is traceable.

Q- Your people speak of karma and retribution.

A- It is merely a gross approximation; in reality we are all creators and creatures of each other, causing and bearing each other’s burden.

Q- So the innocent suffers for the guilty?

A- In our ignorance we are innocent, in our actions we are guilty. We sin without knowing and suffer without understanding. Our only hope; to stop, to look, to understand and to get out of the traps of memory. For memory feeds imagination and imagination generates desire and fear.

Q- Why do I imagine at all?

A- The light of consciousness passes through the film of memory and throws pictures on your brain. Because of the deficient and disordered state of your brain, what you perceive is distorted and colored by feelings of like and dislike. Make your thinking orderly and free from emotional overtones, and you will see people and things as they are, with clarity and charity.

The witness of birth, life and death is one and the same. It is the witness of pain and of love. For while the existence in limitation and separation is sorrowful, we love it.

We love it and hate it at the same time.

We fight, we kill, we destroy life and property and yet we are affectionate and self-sacrificing. We nurse the child tenderly and orphan too. Our life is full of contractions. Yet we cling to it.

This clinging is the root of everything.

Still it is entirely superficial. We hold on to something or somebody with all our might, and the next moment we forget it. Like a child that shapes his mud-pies and abandons them light-heartedly. Touch them and he will scream with anger. Divert the child and he forgets them.
For our life is Now, and the love of it is Now.

We love vanity, the play of pain and pleasure, we are fascinated by contrasts. For this we need the opposites and their apparent separation. We enjoy them for a time and then get tired and crave for the peace and silence of pure Being. The cosmic heart beats ceaselessly. I am the witness and the heart too.

Q- I can see the picture, but who is the painter? Who is responsible for this terrible and yet adorable experience?

A- The painter is in the picture. You separate the painter from the picture and then look for him. Don’t separate and don’t put false questions. Things are as they are and nobody in particular is responsible. The idea of personal reasonability comes from the illusion of agency. “Somebody must have done it, somebody is responsible,” Society as it is now, with its framework of laws and customs, is based on the idea of a separate and responsible personality, but this is not the only form a society can take. There may be other forms where the sense of separation is weak and responsibility diffused.

Q- Have you no problems?

A- I do have problems. I told you already. To be, to exist with a name and form is painful, yet I love it.

Q- But you love everything!

A- In existence everything is contained. My very nature is to love; even the painful is loveable.

Q- It does not make it less painful. Why not live in the unlimited?

A- It is the instinct of exploration, the love of the unknown, that brings me into existence. It is in the nature of Being to see adventure in Becoming, as it is in the very nature of Becoming to seek peace in Being. This alteration of Being and Becoming is inevitable; but my home is beyond.

Q- Is your home in God?

A- To love and worship a God is also ignorance. My home is beyond all notions however sublime.

Q- But God is not a notion! It is the reality beyond existence.

A- You may use any word you like. Whatever you may think of, I am beyond it.

Q- Let us say you were asked to help the war victims. Would you do it?

A- To work or not to work is one in the same thing to me. There may be others better endowed with such tasks than I am. But my attitude is different. I do not look at death as a calamity, and I do not rejoice at the birth of a child. The child is out for trouble while the dead is out of it.
Attachment to life is attachment to sorrow. We love what gives us pain. Such is our nature.
For me the moment of death will be one of jubilation, not of fear. I cried when I was born and I shall die laughing.

Q- What is the change of consciousness at the moment of death?

A- What change do you expect? When the film projection ends, all remains the same as when it started.

Q- Why don’t you take part in social work?

A- But I am doing nothing else all the time! And what is the social work you want me to do? Patchwork is not for me. My stand is clear- produce to distribute, feed before you eat, give before you take, think of others before you think of yourself. Only a selfless society based on sharing can be stable and happy. This is the only practical solution. If you don’t want it- fight.

Q- Is there not a state of absolute perfection that does not decay?

A- Whatever has a beginning must have an end. In the timeless all is perfect here and now.

Q_ But shall we reach the timeless in due course?

A- In due course we shall come back to the starting point. Time cannot take us out of time, as space cannot take us out of space. All you get by waiting is more waiting. Absolute perfection is here and now, not in some future near or far. The secret is in action- here and now. It is your behavior that blinds you to yourself. Disregard whatever you think yourself to be and act as if you were absolutely perfect- whatever your idea of perfection may be. All you need is courage.

Q- Where do I find such courage?

A- In yourself, of course. Look within.

Q_ Your grace will help.

A- My grace is telling you now; look within. All you need you have. Use it. Behave as best you know, do what you think you should. Don’t be afraid of mistakes- you can always correct them. Only intentions matter. The shape things take is not within your power. The motives of your actions are.

Q_ How can action born from imperfection lead to perfection?

A- Action does not lead to perfection, perfection is expressed in action. As long as you judge yourself by your expressions, give them utmost attention, when you realize your own Being, your behavior will be perfect- spontaneously.

Q- If I am timelessly perfect, then why was I born at all? What is the purpose of this life?

A- It is like asking, what does it profit gold to be made into an ornament? The ornament gets the color and the beauty of gold; gold is not enriched. Similarly reality is expressed in action makes the action meaningful and beautiful.

Q- What does the Real gain through its expressions?

A- What can it gain? Nothing whatsoever. But it is in the nature of Love to express itself, to affirm itself, to overcome difficulties. Once you have understood that the world is Love in action, you will look at it quite differently.

But first your attitude to suffering must change.

Suffering is primarily a call for attention, which itself is a movement of Love.

More than happiness, Love wants growth- the widening and deepening of Censoriousness and Being.

Whatever prevents becomes a cause of pain, and Love does not shirk from pain.

When obstructed it turns against itself and becomes destructive.
Whenever Love is withheld and suffering allowed to spread, war becomes inevitable. Our indifference to our neighbor’s sorrow brings suffering at our door.

Post by Golfer » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:41 am

Thanks be-lank, good post , liked the bit about us all (child) with our mud pies that we think are so important if somebody touches them & yet later we abandon so easily.

Post by dancer » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:55 am

Wow! Great post!!!

"But God is not a notion! It is the reality beyond existence.

A- You may use any word you like. Whatever you may think of, I am beyond it."

Post by flower » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:35 pm

Sunset, if you're reading this, I'm sorry!! I can't help pinching your quotes...I love them so much!!

What is really your own, you are not conscious of.

Post by flower » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:37 pm

Leave your mind alone, that is all. Don't go along with it. After all, there is no such thing as mind apart from thoughts which come and go obeying their own laws, not yours. They dominate you only because you are interested in them.

Post by Anois » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:55 pm

That's it. Never mind !

Re: Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Post by goldieflower » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:05 pm

All are mere words, of what use are they to you? You are entangled in the web of verbal definitions and formulations. Go beyond your concepts and ideas; in the silence of desire and thought the truth is found.

Post by karmarider » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:27 pm

Thanks, goldieflower!

I love Nisargadatta because, unlike ET's, his awakening was not accidental. He used and proposed just one thing, one single, straightforward technique: look at the sense of I AM.

He says a lot of other stuff, but he repeatedly tries to come back to this one thing which works.

The "sense of I AM" can be difficult to understand for some people, perhaps because of all the irrelevant words around it. John Sherman is particularly good at clarifying it.

Post by goldieflower » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:41 pm

karmarider wrote: ... he repeatedly tries to come back to this one thing which works.
His words are snipping away at the rope. Three years, three days, three seconds, it doesn't really matter, it's all I have to do. :)

When I met my guru, he told me: 'You are not what you take yourself to be. Find out what you are. Watch the sense "I am", find your real self'. I obeyed him, because I trusted him. I did as he told me. All my spare time I would spend looking at myself in silence. And what difference it made, and how soon! It took me only three years to realize my true nature.

Post by acmetiger » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:25 am

Nice to find some people who also find Nisargadatta powerful here on the Tolle forum. I first read Power of Now and then came to I Am That, which is a great adjunct.

I believe that the "I Am"--which I found obscure, too ("but I thought I was eliminating the I!")--could also be thought of as the deathless sense: the thing that never moves in our awareness at the center of all the other stuff that is constantly in motion. We don't know exactly what's going on in the universe or in our awareness, but we know without question that something is, which is, I think, enough.

Nisargadatta basically says as much, recommending on occasion to simply find the constant, deathless factor in every experience, and to stay with it, until you merge with it.