I Am That

Craig

Re: I Am That

Post by Craig » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:19 pm

A quote from "I AM THAT". Notice how the spiritual teaching of Advaita, of watching the thoughts and the mind, appear again and again in non-duality teachings:

Maharaj: You can do nothing to bring it [the self] about, but you can avoid creating obstacles. Watch your mind, how it comes into being, how it operates. As you watch your mind, you discover your self as the watcher. When you stand motionless, only watching, you discover your self as the light behind the watcher. The source of light is dark, unknown is the source of knowledge. That source alone is. Go back to that source and abide there. It is not in the sky nor in the all pervading ether. God is all that is great and wonderful; I am nothing, have nothing, can do nothing. Yet all comes out of me-the source is me; the root, the origin, is me.
Who am I?

joe

Post by joe » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:54 am

So when he says to dwell in the "I am", what is he referring to?

kiki

Post by kiki » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:11 am

So when he says to dwell in the "I am", what is he referring to?
To consciously abide in awareness, one's essential nature. Become aware of awareness and rest there.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:28 pm

joe wrote:So when he says to dwell in the "I am", what is he referring to?
What is left of awareness when not engaged in thinking?
What exists of being when experience is undefined?

WW

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:50 pm

That which was prior to all forms and concepts...is during all forms and concepts...and will be after all forms and concepts.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
Blog at http://www.EngagedNonduality.com - Insights into Nondualism and Living Awake & Engaged

Mason

Post by Mason » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:18 am

One might say "I am a Buddhist", "I am a college graduate", "I am a cat lover" ... "I am" is prior to any of those assertions. It is the original thought which comes into being before it is asserted "I am this" or "I am that"

Murali

Post by Murali » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:43 pm

Joe,

Kiki has summed it up very nicely in a reply to another poster. She said:''Nisargadatta is trying to point to what you already are, consciousness; there is no doing involved in being what you already are, but his teaching to refuse all other thoughts except one, "I am", can be misleading because it seems to direct you to keep the mind busy. That phrase, however, isn't meant to be kept in the mind. Instead, it is meant to be a reminder to turn attention onto awareness/consciousness and not on any thought, to let awareness rest within itself rather than having attention wrapped up in thought. There is no thinking necessary to know that you are - "I am" is meant to express that which cannot be put into words. This is why talking about this is so difficult - there literally are no words that can express the inexpressable'

It might be helpful to read Maharaj's teachings with this interpretation of 'I AM'.

Best,
Discover all that you are not -- body, feelings thoughts, time, space, this or that -- nothing, concrete or abstract, which you perceive can be you. The very act of perceiving shows that you are not what you perceive." -Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:08 am

In a way that is hard to describe, the concept of "I am" is somewhat dualistic. There is no "I," really. At least there is no "I" which is separate from "thou". "Am-ness" or "awareness" is. So, in a way "I" do not exist, and, to complete the circle: "I am not."

(If you can figure out all that, then you are enlightened, and we will send you a business card that says so... :D )

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:48 pm

Consciousness comes and goes, awareness shines immutably. When there is a person, there is also consciousness. "I am", mind, consciousness denote the same state. If you say "I am aware", it only means "I am conscious of thinking about being aware". There is no "I am" in awareness. Witnessing is of the mind. The witness goes with the witnessed. In the state of non-duality, all separation ceases. (488)
It [the witness] is both [real and unreal]. The last remnant of illusion, the first touch of the real. To say: "I am only the witness" is both false and true: false because of the "I am", true because of the witness. It is better to say "there is witnessing". The moment you say "I am", the entire universe comes into being along with its creator. The witness is merely a point in awareness. It has no name and form.
Nisargadatta Maharaj
Peace

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:58 pm

Thanks, HL -- the old cigarette salesman, as translated by Balsekar, is so clear...and granular, too!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

monkinmerc

Post by monkinmerc » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:14 am

Sri Ramana Maharshi advised to ask repeated questions like..
Who am I..?
Am a doctor?
Who is saying I am a doctor?
My mind is?
Who's mind is it?
Mine?
Who am I? ;) etc etc...

Actually, like Nisargadatta Maharaj said, its a pretty natural state. We have been in it now and then.
Some say, Just be. Don't try/do anything.

In my experience, you will get a hang of it if you continue trying. Sit and just let all your feelings be, thoughts be, yourself be as you are, Just be...
Aarrgh! Trying to explain this is like trying to grab water! :D
You'll do it. Just keep at it. May be ask the guru's for help in your mind. Bless you!

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:50 pm

Candice O'Denver, through her website greatfreedom.org offers some exercises...brief moments of clarity, repeated frequently.

Andy

rontant

Post by rontant » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:48 am

I am still in middle of reading the book and I already feel like I am a being from a 2D world trying to understand what a 3D world is like... but I guess I should just relax and accept my own limited capacity to understand and be comfortable of not undersanding.

See Carl Sagan's explanation about 2D and 3D: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VS1mwEV9wA

Elle

Post by Elle » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:36 pm

I found a copy online and am reading it very slowly... :D

unbornawakened

Post by unbornawakened » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:20 am

From I am That:
The world is there because I am, but I am not the world. God is not running the world, All happens by itself.
The supreme is not conscious, but it gives rise to consciousness. The supreme state is entirely one and indivisible, a single solid block of reality. The only way of knowing it is to be it. The mind cannot reach it. To perceive it does not need the senses; to know it, does not need the mind.
The world and the mind are states of being. The supreme is not a state. It pervades all states, but it is not a state of something else. It is entirely uncaused, independent, complete in itself, beyond time and space, mind and matter.
M: Within the prison of your world appears a man who tells you that the world of painful contradictions, which you have created, is neither continuous nor permanent and is based on a misapprehension. He pleads with you to get out of it, by the same way by which you got into it. You got into it by forgetting what you are and you will get out of it by knowing yourself as you are.
Q: God will help.
M: To help you God must know your existence. But you and your world are dream states. In dream you may suffer agonies. None knows them, and none can help you.
Last edited by unbornawakened on Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.