Reading "I Am That" makes me sad

D'ray

Reading "I Am That" makes me sad

Post by D'ray » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:36 pm

Has anyone else noticed it?

Kind of weird. I don't know why it's happening. Nisargadatta has make the most profound "hit" on me but it isn't a pleasure to read his writings :lol:
There's no "I" to become enlightened. The "I" can have spiritual experiences.

DON'T resist the RESISTANCE! The resistance is there. Walk into it. Feel it. Become one with it.

Sighclone

Re: Reading I Am That makes me sad

Post by Sighclone » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:53 am

I sort of agree. And Balsekar, his primary translator has the same effect. Frankly, I think Nisargadatta and Jac O'Keeffe, and UG Krishnamurti and sometimes Osho are pretty direct in their phrasing -- this can seem harsh. It doesn't make me sad, but it is so direct that it's a little scary at times...

my 2 cents...

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Webwanderer

Re: Reading "I Am That" makes me sad

Post by Webwanderer » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:38 pm

What is it that generates such sadness other than the last vestiges of a perspective of being that fears for its identity? That sadness is a blessing in that it's an indicator of what yet needs to be addressed. It's sort of like the sadness one feels when putting aside a favorite toy now outgrown.

WW

Amritam

Post by Amritam » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:49 pm

Webwanderer wrote:What is it that generates such sadness other than the last vestiges of a perspective of being that fears for its identity? That sadness is a blessing in that it's an indicator of what yet needs to be addressed. It's sort of like the sadness one feels when putting aside a favorite toy now outgrown.

WW
Great insight. Thank you WebWanderer.
To have a mind that is open to everything and attached to nothing.~ Tilopa

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:20 pm

:D

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:50 am

That said, the recent Balsekar videos in another thread are wonderful!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

dobro

Post by dobro » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:49 am

Reading Nisargadatta doesn't make me sad at all. Reading the transcriptions of his talks just engages my interest and love and leaves me feeling relief.

What is it about his teachings that triggers the sadness? Since it's idiosyncratic, it might be useful to identify it so that you could out-light it sooner rather than later. :-)

rideforever

Post by rideforever » Thu May 03, 2012 10:04 pm

I feel sad too sometimes, when the past is active and I am regretting the loss of my dreams.

But sometimes as I read I have a moment of waking and then I don't feel sad ... more shocked and super-alert, I can't say what really.

It's very hard to understand I think, but awakening is on such a vast scale that looking at the ordinary human frame of mind is like looking back on something quite constricted.

Although I don't fully understand it, I have read the human form is required for existence to be grasped beautifully ... a rock may be enlightened by cannot grasp enlightenment to the same level as a human ... and evolution rolls on so presumably future forms will have a deeper relation with existence.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small

Dimo

Post by Dimo » Fri May 31, 2013 1:10 pm

D'ray wrote:Has anyone else noticed it?

Kind of weird. I don't know why it's happening. Nisargadatta has make the most profound "hit" on me but it isn't a pleasure to read his writings :lol:
Nisargadatta has make the most profound "hit" on your ego not on you. Use the correct words :mrgreen:
This is a sign that NIsargadatta's words work on you :)

doublec

Post by doublec » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:37 pm

I have the opposite reaction to I Am That. It always lightens the load.

vivianamis

Post by vivianamis » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:48 am

I agree with Dimo. Spirit can never be hurt nor feel sad. Emotions are reactions to thought. When we feel an emotion such as sadness, it just means that the belief in a separation from "God" (also known as ego) could come to an end..... but what is death to ego is life to spirit : )
"To know the Truth, you have to be out of your mind"