Dilemma: Structure of "I AM THAT"

vendicate

Dilemma: Structure of "I AM THAT"

Post by vendicate » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:40 pm

When I read "I AM THAT", I notice that the Questioner asks questions based on his domain of knowledge. And Maharaj answers based on the Questioner's domain of knowledge. That bothers me because I know that Maharaj could be directing the conversation therefore leading us in a right path. Rather then him indirectly leading us to the right path through answers to limited questions.

dobro

Re: Dilemma: Structure of "I AM THAT"

Post by dobro » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:10 am

Mm...yeah. But two things. First, there's a really, REALLY strong possibility that by answering the question in the listener's domain of knowledge, the answer will be understood and remembered. (Student-centered learning is usually a more intelligent approach than teacher-centered.) Next, if you've read I Am That, you'll have noticed how many times Nisargadatta shocks the listener with a sudden change of expected direction in the answer. So the questioner asks about A, and suddenly the conversation's taken this quantum leap to a whole other place -B.

I think Nisargadatta gave the questioner exactly what the questioner needed, whatever it was that was needed. In I Am That he says that he doesn't think of the answer, it just comes.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:17 am

I certainly can't speak for Nisargadatta's methods of directing those who ask him questions, but I do recognize the point of all paths leading to the same origin. Rather than follow paths that lead around the mountain, take the one that begins and ends where you are now. The path to freedom is the one that leads us out of thoughts and things, and into clarity and presence. The truth is known without the aide/distraction of thought. It is the direct experience of being here now - fully accepting of the moment as it is. Not to say you agree with it, but you acknowledge that it is what it is. When that clarity is recognized, the turmoil of the moment becomes like the ripples on the ocean - with no force to keep them stirred they soon settle down and return to the sea from which they arose.

WW

vendicate

Post by vendicate » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:34 am

I think Nisargadatta gave the questioner exactly what the questioner needed
Exactly. I am not the questioner.

dobro

Post by dobro » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:02 am

vendicate wrote:
I think Nisargadatta gave the questioner exactly what the questioner needed
Exactly. I am not the questioner.
Hm? What's your role got to do with your complaint about how N. answered people's questions?

vendicate

Post by vendicate » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:11 am

I am not complaining about how he answered the questions.

dobro

Post by dobro » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:27 am

"And Maharaj answers based on the Questioner's domain of knowledge. That bothers me because I know that Maharaj could be directing the conversation therefore leading us in a right path."

Isn't this something like a complaint?