How to avoid spiritual bypassing

alchemizt

How to avoid spiritual bypassing

Post by alchemizt » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:18 pm

The self inquiry style done by Byron Katie is working real well for me but I'm a bit worried about spiritual bypassing. There's some things I feel REALLY BAD about, things that happened in the past, if I use the The Work questions on this its like I'm choosing to not take responsibility for what happened. I feel so unbelievably bad about these things that they be tearing me apart but not taking responsibility, that'd just be an escape from the pain wouldn't it? At the same time feeling so broken and being in so much pain over these mistakes makes them 1000 times worse because if I was emotionally well I could actually rectify the mistakes (a big part of the damage done is other people seeing what a low state I've fallen into, its a messed up vicious cycle cuz I'm feeling bad about feeling bad which is amplifying the problem) so I can see how it might just well be a huge help but where does spiritual bypassing begin when it comes to things like this?

randomguy

Re: How to avoid spiritual bypassing

Post by randomguy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:51 am

I know that feeling of feeling bad about something in the past, feeling regret, and reliving past pain. There are probably better experts on spiritual bypassing. I'll take a stab at it anyway. Spritual bypassing would occur if you felt that these feelings were unworthy of your true spiritual higher nature so a conclusion is reached to ignore them and focus instead on the feelings of spiritual escape or bliss. I think a good rule of thumb is to 'feel feelings all the way through' when they happen to arise on their own. Feel the pain and see what it shows. Just be with it for a while and try to avoid any knee jerk reactions to stuff it away. To me that willingness is the opposite of spiritual bypassing.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho