Finding the Core of Story's

Plorel

Finding the Core of Story's

Post by Plorel » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:39 pm

Hey everyone

I got a question concerning The Work of Byron Katie.
I've read "a thousand names for joy" and I was so fascinated that I`m eager to test The Work myself.

Here comes my question:
They say you should at first judge other people because its easier and the outside is a reflection of the inside anyway.
But I dont have a problem with anyone, I know that everyone's doing their best all the time. But when I try to do the work with me, I dont seem to get to the core of stress. For example when there is a examination coming up, I don't have toughts like: I must pass the examination, my happiness depends on it, I need the respect of the professor.... etc.
Its rather that my thoughts keep visiting the examination situation involuntarily and stress arises which doesnt seem to be connected to the images but rather to an underlying story, which produces the stress. But I dont know which story (thoughts) it is exactly. So how do I get to the core of the story?
Do you have experiences with that?

all the best
stefan
Who am I without my story?

Onceler

Re: Finding the Core of Story's

Post by Onceler » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:16 am

If you are feeling stress about the examination, BK would say that this is caused by a stressful thoughts. Sometimes it is helpful to start writing down "automatic thoughts". These are thoughts that pop into your head randomly. It takes some time to catch them, and starting to write them down works well because one thought can lead deeper into other thoughts.

Another method would be to sit quietly and see what arises naturally. You may be able to catch your automatic thoughts and feelings in this manner. Don't try to brush them aside, but rather sink into them and feel them viscerally in your body and mind.

By the way, a little stress can be motivating! Most of us need a little stress to activate us into doing what we need to do. In your case...studying.
Be present, be pleasant.

Plorel

Re: Finding the Core of Story's

Post by Plorel » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:13 am

If you are feeling stress about the examination, BK would say that this is caused by a stressful thoughts. Sometimes it is helpful to start writing down "automatic thoughts". These are thoughts that pop into your head randomly. It takes some time to catch them, and starting to write them down works well because one thought can lead deeper into other thoughts.

Another method would be to sit quietly and see what arises naturally. You may be able to catch your automatic thoughts and feelings in this manner. Don't try to brush them aside, but rather sink into them and feel them viscerally in your body and mind.

By the way, a little stress can be motivating! Most of us need a little stress to activate us into doing what we need to do. In your case...studying.
thanks I gonne try that
Who am I without my story?