"The Work" for Social Workers & Counselors?

peleke4

"The Work" for Social Workers & Counselors?

Post by peleke4 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:08 am

"The Work" did wonders for me. I introduced it once to a friend of mine who was having issues in his life. I tried my best to explain the idea between the first two questions (Is that true? Is that absolutely true?). He wouldn't budge. That was 100% his reality, his sacred religion. It seemed that absolutely no light could shine through that dense wall.

I posted a something similar in the "question" category. I'm now working in the social field profession. I'll be interacting with people via groups and one on one (late teens/early 20's). Has anyone here ever experimented with "The Work" in a setting like this? Well, I guess I might just have to try it out for myself and see where it goes. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Sighclone

Re: "The Work" for Social Workers & Counselors?

Post by Sighclone » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:03 am

I also recommend "The Sedona Method." The book by that title is sufficient. It is another method of cognitive 'work' to release bound-up beliefs and tensions - also easy to do. Good luck with BK!!
Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

BillyPLed

Post by BillyPLed » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:09 am

peleke4 wrote:"The Work" did wonders for me. I introduced it once to a friend of mine who was having issues in his life. I tried my best to explain the idea between the first two questions (Is that true? Is that absolutely true?). He wouldn't budge. That was 100% his reality, his sacred religion. It seemed that absolutely no light could shine through that dense wall.

I posted a something similar in the "question" category. I'm now working in the social field profession. I'll be interacting with people via groups and one on one (late teens/early 20's). Has anyone here ever experimented with "The Work" in a setting like this? Well, I guess I might just have to try it out for myself and see where it goes. Any feedback would be appreciated!
Hi there,

I am a social worker and work in an inpatient substance abuse treatment center for adults. I have used The Work with them many times and it is often very effective. Of course, The Work only works if the person is open to it and is willing to at least question their thoughts. For those who are unwilling to answer the questions and instead want to tell their story of blame, judgement, guilt, etc., The Work will not "work."

I would also suggest that you ask the questions the way that Katie has written them. In the above paragraph you state the first two questions as, "Is that true? Is that absolutely true?" Actually the wording of the second question is, "Can you absolutely know that it's true?" You might think this is nitpicking, but it seems to me that this version of the question works better. Instead of asking if the thought is absolutely true, we are asking if the person can absoultely know that it is true. For me, I can't absolutely know that any thought of mine is true.

Also, I have heard Katie say before that there is one question that we can ask that summarizes the first two questions. That one question is, "Are you sure?" I like to ask this question from time to time and then go straight to the thrid question ("How do you react when you believe that thought?"), not matter how they answer the first one.

I love discussing The Work. I will try and come back to this forum from time to tome to see if you have asked any other questions. I wish you the best as you explore the power of inquiry with your clients.
Billy in Lousiana

kiki

Post by kiki » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:21 am

Instead of asking if the thought is absolutely true, we are asking if the person can absoultely know that it is true. For me, I can't absolutely know that any thought of mine is true.
I agree that the difference in the questions is important. Glad to hear you have used it successfully in your work.

It's nice to see you again, BillyPled
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.