Katie Byron

Katie Byron

Postby mccpcorn » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:48 pm

I've just ordered two of this teacher's books:

Loving What Is: How Four Questions Can Change Your Life, and

I Need Your Love - Is It True?: How to Find All the Love, Approval and Appreciation You Ever Wanted

I really only wanted the top one, but Amazon had a special for buying the two together. ;)

I've bought these books based on what others here have mentioned about Katie Byron, but I was just wondering if anyone had any specific experiences of her teachings and what they're all about?

Ta!

^_^
mccpcorn

Postby heidi » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:20 am

Once you've done The Work a few times it becomes part of your simple divining process. I love asking/knowing whose business is it? Mine? Yours? or Reality's? Cuts the ego out at the get go. :) Frees you up.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby lakeswimr » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:10 am

I love her stuff. The 2nd book is much better than the first IMO, just BTW. :)
lakeswimr

Postby Sue » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:31 pm

Hi mccpcorn

You were asking about personal experience with Katie's teachings and what they are about. You can check out http://www.thework.com and get an idea of what the teachings are about.

I think of it as a portal in which the mind is used to go beyond the mind using inquiry - a set of questions designed to turn awareness back on itself. My personal experience with it makes me think of suffering as a slip knot tied in a rope. The knot looks and feels very real. Pull both ends of the rope and the slip knot disappears. Seeing the illusion that suffering is based on is like pulling both ends of the rope. Poof -suffering is gone.
Sue

Postby JedEye » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:24 pm

This picture of knotis similar to what emotion is - life energy in the body, not moving. And then suffering comes out of that.
no more words
JedEye

Postby Shaz » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:59 am

Her first book, Loving What Is was mentioned by ET on one of his CD's. I read it and found it to be a different approach to the "hows and whys" of loving. The book is done in workbook style and discusses senarios of some of her clients. Made for very good reading!

Shaz
Shaz

Postby Viv » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:53 pm

Am going to see her tonight at St James Church in Piccadilly!

It will be interesting to see The Work in action, so to speak.

V xx
Viv

Postby heidi » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:25 pm

We look forward to your report on that experience. :)
Heidi
heidi

Postby mccpcorn » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:32 pm

Yeah I've read through some of the first book and although the method seems straightforward enough having to address every single statement with these same four questions appears rather long winded. ^^;;

I'm assuming that, once you get the gist, you can apply it to the critical areas and cover the rest as you may.
mccpcorn

Postby Viv » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:31 am

Heya!

Very powerful and very simple.

This is what I took away from tonight:

I get what you're saying Mcp and it may seem that way. She said tonight that The Work is a meditation. Take each assumption/thought/statement and apply the questions and then turn it around. To find the truth.

At the base of it is the truth that the universe is a friendly place and that peace is exciting and vibrant. What makes us unhappy (no news here) is our thoughts, our story. Without these thoughts and stories, who are we? Also our thoughts project 'out there' and then we observe the projection and think "oooh, that's this/that/other and it's making me unhappy" and then we try to change the projection. When it's the projector that needs to be worked on. It's never about you/them, it's always about me.

There was a lot of laughter, especially when people realised that what they were accusing their neighbours/friends/fathers of doing/being was actually what they were doing themselves. i.e. My father should be happy; was one statement. The upshot being that this lady was holding her father's happiness as being accountable for HER own happiness. i.e. she only felt she could be happy, if her father was happy. What a ridiculous burden to put on someone. and of course, the ultimate truth in that is that she didn't really want her father to be happy at all, what she wanted was for herself to be happy, but was projecting the responsibility for that onto her father's imagined state of happiness, according to HER.

The final part of the evening brought this from Katie; that the universe is a friendly place. I paraphrase, but this is the gist; "so, he comes up and hits me, hard around the face - bham! and.. it's over. That's it. It's over. He does it again. And.. it's over. The unhappiness comes from the thoughts about that incident. 'isn't it terrible what he did to me, he must really hate me, look everyone how awful this man is, we've got to get him back...... etc., etc.' And then there's me and them against him or if they don't agree with me, me against him and them....' But the reality is that he hit me.. it's over."

Now, put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Viv xx
Viv

Postby mccpcorn » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:56 am

*smokes*

*coughs*

Guess that's the essence of turn the other cheek. ;)
mccpcorn

Postby heidi » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:17 pm

Smokin' and Inhaling :)
Thanks so much, Viv.

I think one of the most powerful aspects of The Work, is that we egos have this tendency to want to blame, and of course the truth is that all blame points inward if one insists on blaming at all.
XO-H
Heidi
heidi

Re: Katie Byron

Postby nutrition » Sun May 09, 2010 6:12 pm

I tried BK but find the WOrk impossible to do given the lenght of time it requires. It really is a lot of writing and if we think of all the issues we have to do the work on (because as you start is like the pack man game, issues keep coming up) then it will require us to quit our jobs.
is there a more practical, shorter way to do it?
I find the sedona method much more practical ....
blessing
nutrition

Re: Katie Byron

Postby mmy » Mon May 10, 2010 4:43 am

Hi nutrition,

I use The Work, more right now than I ever have as I seem so caught up in mind identification that I feel I have progressed backwards. I keep it simple and writing out things does not work for me. As soon as a bothersome thought comes in I imagine BK saying to me "Sweetheart, take a look at what you're thinking right now. You're living in a story that isn't true for you." Somehow that shakes the thought loose a bit and then I quickly go through the questions in my head.

"Is that true?" yes, but when I ask "Do I absolutely 100% know that is true?" my answer always is no, not 100%. Then I feel thought loosen a bit more so I go on to "How do I feel when I have this thought?" Rather than a long internal discussion I say quick words that instantly come up – sad, scared, frustrated, etc. I usually skip the last question "Who would I be without that thought?" and go right to the turnaround.

I have been "shoulding" all over myself lately so I use the turnaround this way.

I should have said that when I had the chance.
Turned it around - I should not have said that when I had the chance.

My mind instantly goes to why so I pause, breathe and simply say "it shouldn’t have happened because it didn’t." Sometimes I will think further (there was no inclination at that time to bring it up) but I try to stop so I don't mind loop again.

I encourage you to listen to some of her videos – on her site and you tube. She is very centered and calm. Her investigative techniques really can help stop spinning thoughts so one can regain some clarity to see them through.

Be gentle with yourself and use her stuff in whatever way works for you.

Peace
mmy

Return to Byron Katie