sexuality

Talk about relationships in the context of Spiritual Enlightenment

sexuality

Postby Enlightened2B » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:27 am

I thought I'd share this experience I had tonight. I went to a meet-up event with a couple of friends. I decided to do something a bit different than the usual meetups I attend. Going in there, I admittedly felt like Tom Cruise from 'Eyes Wide Shut' in the infamous 'mansion scene'. It was supposed to be a singles event. It turned out to be sexual singles event for something called 'OM' which is another term for 'orgasm meditation' which apparently is a new fad. Just google it and you'll see what it's about. It's essentially sexual stimulation for women only by a male partner who performs it (often a stranger). I'm not going to lie. The practice does not interest me at all.

That aside, what it represents from a deeper sense, seems to make a lot of sense to me in the sexual freedom it embraces. It's all about expression of sexuality and openness. We had a bunch of ice breaker events where we went around the room and had to talk about some pretty deep stuff including some openness about sex and sexuality. I was even called up on the 'hot seat' and had to entertain a barrage of questions from the audience pertaining to my own emotions and sexuality. I was a bit uncomfortable to start off because sexuality is just not something I've been very open with in my life with complete strangers, other than with my monogamous partners in the past, largely due to my own conditioning. Yet, the people at this event were so open, so loving and so compassionate towards each other, I felt such a strong feeling of love which almost kind of freed me from the uncomfort/tightness I initially felt. Yet, I embraced the feeling of uncomfort at the same time as I saw it merely as a 'different experience' and a far different experience than staying home tonight in my comfort zone and reading a book or watching TV which I could have been doing.

That aside, I did some research on this 'OM' as apparently, the founder is largely motivated by zen buddhism and it seems that many of the practitioners of this, look at the practice as a form of 'awakening' which I was surprised to hear. I spoke with one of the organizers tonight and she told me that the intent is the opposite of most meditation practices where they try to reach 'ascending levels', while this practice is to reach 'descending levels' which to be honest, I didn't really understand. It's supposed to form a connection between the person stimulated and the person doing the stimulating. There's quite a lot of sexual openness between the people who are regulars at the event, yet most of it centers around just that....admitted cravings/desire for sex with each other as well, and much dirty talk, which was fun because it was once again a 'different experience', but doesn't really appeal to me in the long run.

I'm betting that I won't get many replies if any in this thread, but I'll ask anyway. Has anyone heard of this practice? If so, what are your thoughts on it in comparison to other spiritual paths?
Enlightened2B

Re: sexuality

Postby Webwanderer » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:12 pm

I've heard of it. I think it has value for the right persons - those that can perceive and work within its intent. We have so many inhibitions based on fear conditioning. Finding a way to expand beyond that conditioning seems to be a good thing.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Enlightened2B » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:48 pm

The fear based conditioning factor is so strong. Like a brick wall sometimes! I felt it initially during this event, in the form of judgements/resistance/discomfort in the body. I feel the more I expose myself to life, it's always another chance to open up and see through that conditioning. It's funny because awakening in the simplest form for me, has allowed me to 'Be' that Presence which is beyond thought which shines through at times, yet is heavily clouded by unconscious thought identification at other times. Ebbs and flows for me. However, the conditioning factor is still running rampantly. I feel that if you really do want to actually live and experience, life itself is the perfect game board to work/see through much of that unconscious conditioning if we really allow ourselves to approach it face to face.

Thanks for responding WW. Didn't think anyone would have even heard of this.
Enlightened2B

Postby KathleenBrugger » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:37 pm

I'd heard of something like it, but in a different context. It's been awhile so I don't remember the details, it seems like it was about helping men in some way, like helping men feel more comfortable with how to please a woman. Certainly it wasn't about OM!

There was a place called "More University" in northern California back when I lived in San Francisco in the early 1980s. It was like a commune, people lived in small houses scattered on the property. The group was based on the idea that sexual hangups keep us from awakening, so if you moved there you had to agree to have at least one orgasm a day. Sex was free among members of the group, and everyone was checked out thoroughly when they joined for disease. Arthur (my husband) knew someone in the group, so we were invited once and Arthur played some songs at the Sat night party they had every week in their clubhouse. The vibe was extremely relaxed. Kids lived there, in a separate children's house that the parents took turns supervising. At the clubhouse the kids had their own table and the older kids took care of the younger ones, all very well behaved. I was too afraid to join! :shock:

Thanks for posting so openly about your experience, E2B. From the number of posts on the 'Open Relationship" thread there is clearly an interest/need to discuss sexuality here.
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/
KathleenBrugger

Postby Webwanderer » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:12 pm

I went on a little search and found quite a lot. Seems the organized group promoting this is called OneTaste. No. I'm not making that up. They have a website. Just google it. It's intent is more than just about orgasm, it's seems to be about real expansion. I found this discussion that details it fairly well. "Enjoy." :wink:

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segmen ... 737000041c

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Enlightened2B » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:43 pm

Thanks Kathleen and WW for posting the link. I'll take a look. Yes the company was called 'One Taste'. To be honest, I found out after researching an article on OM last night and after researching the organizers names that 'OneTaste' marketed models at the event to flirt with the new comers in order to get them to sign up for the 150 dollar OM course which was quite a marketing scheme if you ask me.

That aside, I love the sexual openness throughout these events and the openness to talk about sexuality with both men and women. It's really a cool thing because sexuality is such a conservative, tight wound topic in our society. The OM practice does make a lot of sense to me, yet. I think like anything else though, it's merely one avenue to explore and it like anything else, can become easy to get hooked on. But, it's a worth a try.
Enlightened2B

Postby rachMiel » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:20 pm

Post photos!

(Hah ... jus' kiddin'.)

;-)
“At the still point of the turning world.” T. S. Eliot
rachMiel

Postby Enlightened2B » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:50 pm

Plenty of 'how to' vids on the internet pertaining to this stuff. Enjoy :D
Enlightened2B

Postby far_eastofwest » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:53 pm

Very unusual, fancy that, men pleasing women sexually, complete strangers. Doesn't sound so 'amazing' when you think prostitutes and housewives have been 'pleasing men' and not getting anything in return sexually for millenium. The shock factor is Men Pleasing Women without having anything received at their end, though no doubt the event is replayed at home in the minds eye for a 'happy ending'.
If it was a group of women servicing complete stranger men with out getting gratification themselves it would simply be called and orgy and the women sluts. Or maybe the 'playboy mansion'. Perhaps "rosies relaxation massage where a happy ending is guaranteed"................

This is wrong on so many levels and i dont' have time to list them. maybe later. I would assume the participants pay some sort of fee to join these humdinger events?
:)
There is nothing harder to find than a black cat in a dark room
Especially when there is no cat....
far_eastofwest

Postby Enlightened2B » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:28 am

well, let me state for the record :wink: , that there was no sexual stuff happening last night. It was simply an 'icebreaker' event sponsored by OneTaste who is associated with the OM practice.

But, the point of OM as I see it, is the connection factor between the two people. It's a mutually consented practice where the human connection is supposed to be felt very strongly. It seems that the practice centers around female pleasure and I think it's largely centered around females who have been very closed off in the past as I was told last night, so it can be a huge benefit to some women. I'm not sure what the men actually get out of this other than offering an act of human compassion and love to their partner, which of course can be expressed in countless other ways as well, other than this particular practice. I also don't understand the point in having complete strangers take part in this while people sit around and watch, other than perhaps in the sexual freedom it brings. But, hey, I see no harm in trying it. It's just another experience as I see it to potentially explore. The practice itself doesn't sound like something that really intrigues me personally, but I think the real benefit can most certainly be a cool practice long term for people in a monogamous relationship.

The part that does intrigue me is not necessarily the act of OM itself, but merely the 'being open' whether it's sexually or not, the willingness to go beyond judgement in our feelings of (in this case) sexuality and seeing through so many of those layers of judgement that have built over time about sexuality and what it represents, which there is plenty of on my end which I was able to see last night a bit of in my discomfort. The freedom to express yourself beyond the limitations of this perspective, without necessarily having to take part in this OM practice itself. I would only partake in it if my future partner and I chose to do so monogamously. If I was a woman, I might be more willing to explore this non-monogamously as well. But, I think it's great that people are exploring this path. To me spirituality does not have to be sexual at all, and it's definitely not for me, but sexuality as I see it, is merely one avenue of exploration to open ourselves up a bit.

Just my take.
Enlightened2B

Postby Webwanderer » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:14 am

far_eastofwest wrote:This is wrong on so many levels and i dont' have time to list them. maybe later.
:)

It's easy enough to find what's wrong with something. All we need do is just check our conditioning. The challenge is to find value when our reactions suggest otherwise.

WW
Webwanderer

Return to Relationships