Friends.

Talk about relationships in the context of Spiritual Enlightenment
lilly83

Friends.

Post by lilly83 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:02 pm

Hi All,

I'm writing this post about friends. I'm finding the more i live in awareness and practice this everyday, the more i find myself feeling like I am drawn away from people who are identified with their thoughts and egos, but this happens to be the majority of people I come across. I had one good friend who I shared awareness with, but he has now moved, and I'm feeling a bit alone on this spiritual path as you could call it. I find it a great gift to share awareness with another, but at the moment, I find my self surrounded by people who don't understand what I'm talking about when I mention ET teachings and others and my view on the truth of life. I'm just wondering, will I ever meet people who share my awareness and understanding about the truth of life, will life send me people to share my awareness with?

Thanks
Lilly83

kiki

Re: Friends.

Post by kiki » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:42 pm

I'm just wondering, will I ever meet people who share my awareness and understanding about the truth of life, will life send me people to share my awareness with?
Find out. Can there be acceptance whichever way it turns out? If you knew nobody else would show up what would be the result? The fact is nobody knows for sure. Whatever comes your way is what comes your way. Whatever doesn't come your way doesn't. In either case there can be but one approach to what unfolds - acceptance. Look for nothing, accept everything, hang on to nothing, resist nothing.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:37 am

lilly -

My experience is that you will. Why not start a meetup group on nonduality...(meetup.com) - maybe there is one already. You might visit a Unity Church - Eckhart has spoken to them...they seem to be the closest "new thought Christian" group. Or hang out at a metaphysical bookstore...just ideas, lilly...be well.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

lakeswimr

Post by lakeswimr » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:10 am

I liked Kiki's reply. I find that when I have looked outside myself I tend to end up feeling frustrated and when my focus is on love/NOW things I used to struggle after seem to be there. And while I appreciate them it doesn't matter in the way I used to think it would.

I have lately been getting very present around people when I think of it or just because. And then I get to enjoy them just the way they are which is beautiful.

You know, if this is something you want to change maybe it might be something you want to make happen by staring an ET group locally at a library or something like that??

locksmith

Post by locksmith » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:59 am

I, too, like Kiki's reply! If I could borrow a thought from Katie Byron, she stated something like "I wouldn't pull another person off of their path for my convenience." I forget the context, but I heard her say basically something very similar to Kiki. Your friends (enlightened / awake, or un-awake) are doing their job(s), and to "argue with reality is to argue with God." Just be present with whoever you are with. Accept them lovingly. Accept what is.

Namaste

Jim

dagobert

Post by dagobert » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:13 am

Hi lilly,

You don't "feel like you are drawn away", this is your mental wanting recogniton and acceptance from your relatives, that's normal, that's what the mind does.
You don't recognize yourself anymore in people that are identified with your mind and ego's, this is the best clue that you still are too.

Your mind has a new identity, the one of the spiritual seeker, it is no more real / true than previous role you identified with, but as it believes this is the most important thing in your life now, it judges hard other people that are not on the same path.

When you are awake, you don't have theses issues, use this knowledge to go further than your mind's last spiritual game.

inseglet

Post by inseglet » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:56 am

Hi Lilly,

I understand 100% what you mean. you see.. as I read your post, I couldn't help laughing at the "ET" part. That is because it stands for E.Tolle but in Portuguese (my mothertongue) it means UFO and my mind, how silly, made that association as it fit so well in the context :D it does feel like an UFO if you attempt to bring this topic with old acquaintances - with whom my ego was so identified with.. Hmm life moves on.. I am not that disappointed anymore, in the sense that I am gradually accepting the fact that the world and people are not there to meet 'my expectations' and 'think likewise'.. everyone has their 'timing'. And as you move onwards your wavelength changes.. and you eventually change.. the circumstances too.. and even the people around you.. Don't worry, be happy. haha
It occurred to me the passage of a study guide (of a movie, "What the Bleep do we know"):

God be with those who explore
In the cause of understanding:
Whose search takes them far
From what is familiar and comfortable
and leads them to danger or terrifying loneliness.
Let us try to understand their confronting or
Unusual language; the uncommon life of their emotions,
For they have been affected and shaped and changed
By their struggle at the frontiers of a wild darkness,
Just as we may be affected, shaped, and changed
By the insights they bring back to us
Bless them with strength and peace.
Amen
By Luenig, From “Prayer Tree”

xoxo

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:03 am

kiki wrote:
I'm just wondering, will I ever meet people who share my awareness and understanding about the truth of life, will life send me people to share my awareness with?
Find out. Can there be acceptance whichever way it turns out? If you knew nobody else would show up what would be the result? The fact is nobody knows for sure. Whatever comes your way is what comes your way. Whatever doesn't come your way doesn't. In either case there can be but one approach to what unfolds - acceptance. Look for nothing, accept everything, hang on to nothing, resist nothing.
Very nice KiKi thanks
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana

Javonni

Post by Javonni » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:49 pm

Lilly, I have lived all my life in the land of fundamental Christianity. I have had to remain quiet about my beliefs or be persecuted. These people can be vicious and even stalk you until you are 'saved' from going to hell(their beliefs, not mine). So, I learned early on to quietly go about my business and not reveal my beliefs. However, that gets very lonely and we all do need some like minded people around us.

Presently, I don't have any nondual friends in my area but I have met other people who are 'on the spiritual path' and that helps. I also recommend Unity church. This church tends to attract people with diverse beliefs and many are very open minded. Many Unity churches have A Course in Miracles groups which attracts nondual people.

Perhaps you could start a meditation group and see who comes out of the woodwork!

Javonni
When someone asks me who they are or what God is, I smile inside and whisper to the Light: "There you go again pretending."
~Adyashanti

doug

Post by doug » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:11 pm

How can we know what another's conciousness is? Who/what is doing the evaluating of what people are concious of or not? Is this judgement veiled as something else?

I feel much the same way and find myself very, very withdrawn. But I've learned recently that if I look out at the world through a different "window" of my house, the world looks differently. If I look at a person's "heart" rather then their "mind" they come accross differently to me.

Isn't the fact that others are alive, here near us in this cast physival universe, experiencing a similar play of atoms/forms that we are all in this together?

Is looking for people more "like us" another mind/ego trick designed to keep us dependent?

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:48 pm

doug -

You say:
Is looking for people more "like us" another mind/ego trick designed to keep us dependent?
What an excellent question. But I'm going to say no, (and try to stay nondualist :) ). I'm a believer from my experience and others' that there is a gradual awakening. So at any given point, many of us are still asleep, still prisoners of ego to an extent. Just the chance to talk about it with another human being who is able to discuss it is a blessing. Did Ramana need to talk to anyone? Nope. But most of us are not so fully self-realized as he was.

If my impression were not shared by others, this forum would have four little moderators sending little green messages back and forth and nobody listening. :mrgreen:

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

doug

Post by doug » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:29 pm

if I may ask further of your reply Andy...why does ET advise us to not discuss the teachings in groups?

Is this a safeguard to help us avoid falling into mind/ego motivated conversations?

Andy wrote: "four little moderators sending little green messages back and forth"

Actually, that's what's happening and the rest of us are just sitting back LOAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:34 am

Then you must have a finely tuned funnybone, because we moderators aren't very funny at all... :mrgreen:

Yes, ET was all concerned about people and egos blasting around, and "leaders" who might not really have experienced anything and just want to co-opt the meetings, etc. But I think in the last year, that those who are truly interested can deal with egos, including their own, and he might consider dropping that requirement...certainly his call. Of course, you could start your own meetup group.

Namaste, Andy

doug

Post by doug » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:18 am

Sighclone wrote:Then you must have a finely tuned funnybone, because we moderators aren't very funny at all... :mrgreen:

Yes, ET was all concerned about people and egos blasting around, and "leaders" who might not really have experienced anything and just want to co-opt the meetings, etc. But I think in the last year, that those who are truly interested can deal with egos, including their own, and he might consider dropping that requirement...certainly his call. Of course, you could start your own meetup group.

Namaste, Andy
This forum has provided considerable help and guidance so at this time I don't feel that a group is necessary. It's great to read other's experiences and there are no big ego trips here like I have observed in other forums.

Thanks to yu Andy and the other Mod's for being so supportive with everyone here.

The simple solutions that the Power of Now has introduced into my life are working quite well. The day to day things that used to trouble me just don't very much anymore. Now it seems I know more what to do with "myself" and "my life". The Power of Now turned out to be sort of an "owners manual" for being a human being for me. I am so grateful the more I learn to experience the present without the pressure of always have to be "thinking" and "doing" something. Of course, It's constant to observe the mind going this way and that but at least now I know when I'm awake and when the mind is in charge.

Wow..what a different and wonderful way to live life, surrounded by a fantastic universe of creation! It's a miracle...all of it! Let it be, "let life live you" is how I think ET has put it. Man, was he right on or what? :lol:

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:26 am

He was, doug, and so are you.

Andy