What is the purpose of awakening?

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.

What is the purpose of awakening?

Postby TemporalDissonance » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:52 pm

If we are all mere actors the Awareness directs, what is the purpose of awakening? Why have the actors realize they are acting in a play? Is the ego (our attachment to our perceived "roles") preventing us from giving a great performance? Is the purpose for the actors to follow directions from the director? To literally "move aside" from and give way to the stage directions? Do the actors have a say? Is there collaboration? Free will? Perhaps a better analogy is that of puppets and their puppeteer? That the ego is literally getting all the strings tangled? Are we only to witness the play unfold so that there 's a knowing audience to the theatrics?

This is obviously a mind-based inquiry and the mind may not provide the "answer". And that in the end all actors, stage designers, makeup artist, etcs and the ultimate director is one. But does only the director knows all?

The following quote is from Baleskar in his description of the ultimate understanding. Thoughts? Is that it? Why only investigate the ego only? Is that our limitation as humans?

“That the only thing a human being can ‘do’ is to investigate thoroughly and honestly who this ‘me’ is, who thinks he is the doer!”
Excerpt From: Ramesh S. Balsekar. “The Wisdom of Balsekar.”
Last edited by TemporalDissonance on Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
TemporalDissonance

Re: What is the purpose of awakening?

Postby rideforever » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:09 pm

Yes, your questions show the poverty of most spiritual understandings.

Truly to go beyond the ego is just to reach a level of sanity on par with an animal, nothing to write home about.

The prize is to become a new being a new spontaneous movement in the universe, immortal. Krishna, Siva ... those were some who made it.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby RCharles » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:54 am

What is "awakening"? :D What is that you seek? Why seek anything?

Chuck
"They are all...perfect..." --Ken Watanabe, dying scene in the movie The Last Samurai
RCharles

Postby TemporalDissonance » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:34 am

rideforever wrote:Truly to go beyond the ego is just to reach a level of sanity on par with an animal, nothing to write home about.

Yes, its like the "natural" state is being as "care free" as a pet.

rideforever wrote:The prize is to become a new being a new spontaneous movement in the universe, immortal. Krishna, Siva ... those were some who made it.

I am not as familiar with Hindu deities as others which I need to read up. Are there equivalents or similar ones in other teachings as Krishna, Siva?

RCharles wrote:What is "awakening"? :D What is that you seek? Why seek anything?

Hi Chuck, by "awakening" I meant the "event" when one comes to experience that which is "beyond the veil" experientially. The experience of witnessing.

It isn't "awakening" I seek. I am trying to understand what the teachers point to. Maybe my lack of understanding but I have a few questions. Perhaps others may be of help. As the witness (non-doer/doer), even my questioning and typing at this very second on my keyboard is initiated by Awareness. My volition is an illusion. My consciousness is the one interpreting it as an "action" done by "my body". If that is the case, then all of us (in our physical form) are mere conduits in which these interpreted "actions" play out.

It's like each of our consciousness being glued down to watch a passing show (or more accurately, the changing of still images in the eternal Now). Just so happens we are witnessing images that look sequential, hence we think they are "actions" and "passing of time".

Why then, if we are mere witnesses (as consciousness with a small "c"), is the purpose of us "waking up" is to realize we aren't the "egos" we thought we were? Why bother telling us we are watching a movie? So we can get some popcorn? I am not suggesting those who have "awakened" and not are any different. Is this a mere glitch (like in the Matrix movies)?
TemporalDissonance

Postby DavidB » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:13 am

There is no purpose to awakening.

Awakening is just another experience, a profound experience for sure, but an experience none the less.

What we may gain from "awakening" though, is a clarity of thought, a clearer picture of reality, which then helps us to become healthier, more functional human beings, nothing more.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby rideforever » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:21 pm

From the point of view of the 'ego' it is an experience. The ego wraps any 'light' that you have found into its machinery.

Unless you are ready to move your identity into the light, all will remain 'experience' of the ego.

It is interesting that you say "understanding" is optional; because if you do not engage your "intelligence" then you may only have tasted a state energetically, and be unable to proceed.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby Enlightened2B » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:39 pm

DavidB wrote:There is no purpose to awakening.

Awakening is just another experience, a profound experience for sure, but an experience none the less.

What we may gain from "awakening" though, is a clarity of thought, a clearer picture of reality, which then helps us to become healthier, more functional human beings, nothing more.

Yes, I resonate with this post. I think spreading compassion can be viewed as a "side effect" as I like to put it. However, I don't really think there is an ultimate purpose. As ET says, we have "inner purpose" and "outer purpose". Our inner purpose is to awaken and once we do that, we can achieve something positive WITHIN this relative world we live in which ultimately would become our "outer purpose".
Enlightened2B

Postby DavidB » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:53 am

Enlightened2B wrote:
DavidB wrote:There is no purpose to awakening.

Yes, I resonate with this post. I think spreading compassion can be viewed as a "side effect" as I like to put it. However, I don't really think there is an ultimate purpose. As ET says, we have "inner purpose" and "outer purpose". Our inner purpose is to awaken and once we do that, we can achieve something positive WITHIN this relative world we live in which ultimately would become our "outer purpose".

There is no ultimate purpose, I agree. Oneness is already doing whatever it is doing. What it is, is it's purpose.

ET does say that if there is any purpose at all, then awakening could be perceived as a type of purpose, but not a purpose perse but rather just a shifting from insanity to sanity.

What is, is as it is already.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby DavidB » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:04 am

rideforever wrote:From the point of view of the 'ego' it is an experience. The ego wraps any 'light' that you have found into its machinery.

Unless you are ready to move your identity into the light, all will remain 'experience' of the ego.

It is interesting that you say "understanding" is optional; because if you do not engage your "intelligence" then you may only have tasted a state energetically, and be unable to proceed.

"Do not mistake understanding for realization, and do not mistake realization for liberation." ~Tibetan Saying

The world is an illusion, Brahman alone is real, Brahman is the world.
DavidB

Postby RCharles » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:20 am

Some very interesting intellectual answers. I say again, what is awakening? :D

Chuck
"They are all...perfect..." --Ken Watanabe, dying scene in the movie The Last Samurai
RCharles

Postby SandyJoy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:44 am

Of course there is a purpose. Why do you think you have this urge to understand and seek and know? Why is that longing to understand, that drive to find out, keep going in your DNA? Of course there is a purpose. Everything in life moves toward fulfillment of It's purpose. The apple tree is to eventually produce apples. Tell me one thing in nature that is without purpose? Even the maggots have a purpose. The sea, the sky, the stars, the flowers, the bees--name one thing without a purpose.

You are supposed to bloom, that is for sure, and when you do, you will see the reason for your being here and being alive and being in this most incredible and gloriously magical world. You will figure it out -- you will find what your purpose is--you are destined to---Your purpose is written in your DNA, like a seed, its all there. One day with the right conditions, with nurturing and with your Heart following the drive to seek upward, toward the light, to reach up to the sky like a little seed that reaches up out the earth, and you will reach down into the soil and the soil of of Life will feed your being and you will one day begin to see sprouts, to see little roots--and you will bloom---Through giving and receiving, right here in Life-- it is all within you, what you are to be, your purpose, is already there like a seed contains the tree-- you will see all that you are because it is already there. It is within you right now -- the total purpose of your being is within you--- and you will become the Wholeness of Your Self in all your radiant beauty---that is your purpose, it is already there, nothing can stop you from your purpose, unless you stop you by saying you have no purpose and then you stop giving and you start withering away, never reaching for the Light, the Water, the Earth, the Air-- all you need is Here waiting for your to open up and give of your self.
You are not finished, until you play in that meadow and live there. You can, you know. But only you can take yourself there.
SandyJoy

Postby TemporalDissonance » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:51 am

DavidB wrote:"Do not mistake understanding for realization, and do not mistake realization for liberation." ~Tibetan Saying

Isn't it nondual to say there is no purpose?
Just as to say I am Oneness or separate only?
Awakening can only be an "end" and "beginning".
TemporalDissonance

Postby DavidB » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:54 am

RCharles wrote:Some very interesting intellectual answers. I say again, what is awakening? :D

Chuck

Who wants to know?

Awakening, enlightenment, awareness, these things are simply things that happen.

Seeking is the ultimate avoidance of liberation, as it prolongs the story of a seeker trying to find something that isn't missing.
DavidB

Postby DavidB » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:05 am

TemporalDissonance wrote:
DavidB wrote:"Do not mistake understanding for realization, and do not mistake realization for liberation." ~Tibetan Saying

Isn't it nondual to say there is no purpose?
Just as to say I am Oneness or separate only?
Awakening can only be an "end" and "beginning".

It is nondual to say there is no purpose, yes.

I am Oneness is presupposing that there is an apparent I that can claim it is one. This is Oneness appearing as duality. Separation is an illusion, there is nothing separate from Oneness.

Awakening is something that happens, like sitting happens and eating happens and breathing happens. Nobody every awakens, awakening happens.

Awakening is not liberation.
DavidB

Postby SandyJoy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:52 pm

Awakening is realizing the Wholeness of Yourself and Awakening is being filled with the Joy and Delight in getting to be Your Self, be just who you are without having to change anything----while also being fully aware of the Oneness that is Being All That You are----The Joy is when you get to be you --no more fighting to get rid of your self in any way---you can live again, when you get to be yourself and Love your self---In this 'third view' you fall in love with life----because now you Live without having to divide 'this is dual and this is nondual and I will only be awake if I am on the nondual side--- No! You will fully wake up when you see that YOU are already the Wholeness of It All so you are Both and You are Free because Now you can Be Both sides at once---the Magical Alchemy of being Both which makes you This Wonderful Richness of Two that are One and You are Free from having to be one or the other---completely Free from trying to be this or that---You Are Both and that makes Your Heart so Full to see You are greater than either side, you are All Inclusive Both and That Knowing is simply a "realization" that You the fullness of both and greater than both---to Live in both is It--as both is the Wholeness, Complete, the One--- That is Liberation--true, honest, and real Liberation.

Oh and --- Experience is included! Experience is part of the Totality-- We get to experience Life and That is the Joy of what we call awakening--- we throw nothing out, nothing---It's all Good--- Everything, even this experience right here reading and writing this, All of It, all that you are Is Here Being Your Experience --- right now--- It is wonderful! Of course it is!
Last edited by SandyJoy on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You are not finished, until you play in that meadow and live there. You can, you know. But only you can take yourself there.
SandyJoy

Next

Return to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization