What is the purpose of awakening?

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.

Re: What is the purpose of awakening?

Postby KathleenBrugger » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:10 pm

This is a very good question. So many of the posts in this thread have reflected the paradox of spirituality; as a Buddhist saying puts it: “Act always as if the fate of the universe depended on what you do while laughing at yourself for thinking that whatever you do makes any difference.” There are so many ways to question the pursuit of awakening; one that springs to mind is: If there is only the eternal Now, when does this awakening take place?

20 years ago I co-wrote a book about metaphysics called The Game of God. Quickly, the premise is: God is unlimited (that’s what all those words like all-seeing, all-knowing, all-powerful, and eternal mean). This means God cannot experience what it is to be limited (ignorance, fear, death, etc.). But this inability to experience limitation is itself a limitation. The universe is the solution to this riddle: we are the Unlimited experiencing limitation.

We proposed that there are three purposes to the universe:

1. for the unlimited to experience limitation (this is being brilliantly expressed throughout the universe right now)
2. for the limited to experience the unlimited (as evolution occurs some creatures will develop a level of consciousness that allows them to perceive and experience the unlimited)
3. for the unlimited to experience the unlimited (you could say the universe of limitation is the self-awareness of the Unlimited—only through losing Its identity can It have the perspective to look upon Itself. Something like you don’t know what you’ve got ’til it’s gone.)

What I like about this metaphysics is that everything is perfect. Everything that has ever been done and will be done (pretending that time exists) fits within the purpose of experiencing limitation. Imagine the shades of limitation from almost-infinitely limited to almost-infinitely unlimited as the varied shades on a color chart. The purpose of the universe is to experience every single one of those shades. All are equally valuable. Nothing is wasted.

So from an ultimate point-of-view I don’t think there is any purpose to awakening per se. But from an individual point-of-view I think there is a very cogent reason to awaken: being asleep hurts. Awakening, being more aware, means you have less suffering in your life.
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/
KathleenBrugger

Postby smiileyjen101 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:45 am

jimmyrich said: Our only "limitation" as humans, is that we have deliberately forgotten our Perfect Spiritual nature in order to have an imperfect, temporary, form adventure.

I want to combine that with a notion from CWG on love... used in a different context but coming to the same 'place'.
You limit what you choose to experience, (not what another is allowed to experience). This limitation is voluntary and so not a limitation at all.

The limitations we experience are voluntary, and so not a limitation at all.

When we awake to that.... 8)

“Act always as if the fate of the universe depended on what you do while laughing at yourself for thinking that whatever you do makes any difference.”

Yum!! It does/does not matter & no choice is wrong, it just brings a different experience :D
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby rideforever » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:47 am

smiileyjen101 wrote:The limitations we experience are voluntary, and so not a limitation at all.

Can you imagine a colour that your eyes cannot see ? Try right now.

No you can't; because you are limited. It is not a voluntary thing.

Many spiritual mantras are just simply wrong, easy to see ...
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby Psychoslice » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:52 pm

What is the purpose of eating, sleeping, breathing.........the purpose is to live, if we are no awake we are not truly living.
Psychoslice

Postby DavidB » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:10 am

The purpose, if we want to propose one, not that there is one, is the evolution of consciousness.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby smiileyjen101 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:26 am

Can you imagine a colour that your eyes cannot see ? Try right now.

No you can't; because you are limited. It is not a voluntary thing.

Then it's the imagination that is limited, not the reality ( :?: :?: :?: )

You limit what you choose to experience, (not what another is allowed to experience).
This limitation is voluntary and so not a limitation at all.

It might be helpful to put that little snippet in the wider context - it's from a discussion about unconditional love
Love is that without condition, without limitation, without need. Because it is without condition it requires nothing in order to be expressed. Because it is without limitation it places no limitation on another. Because it is without need, it seeks nothing not freely given, to hold nothing not wishing to be held, to give nothing not joyously welcomed...

Loving another does not mean that you must stop loving your self. Granting another full freedom does not mean granting them the right to abuse you, nor does it mean sentencing yourself to a prison of your own device, in which you live a life you would not choose, in order that another may live a life that they do choose.

Yet, granting full freedom does mean placing no limitation of any kind upon another.
You limit what you choose to experience, not what another is allowed to experience.
This limitation is voluntary, and so not a limitation at all.

It is a declaration of who you are. A creation, a definition.

When you are awake you're not living in your imagination. You see what 'is' and know that in individualised 'perceptions' all is only ever within awareness, capacity & willingness of the perceiver; and by the choices of experience those three things are self determined/determining - awareness, capacity & willingness are a self feeding bio-system.

These limitations therefore are voluntary, and so not a limitation at all.

I am aware that I am voluntarily in a physically limiting 'perspective' experience, therefore the limitation is no limitation at all.
Even to imagine something outside of the limitations that I've volunteered for :wink:

(even to momentarily being unaware that rideforever posted this ages ago and may not read this answer :wink: )
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Re: What is the purpose of awakening

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:46 pm

Awareness, capacity and willingness. I like this a lot Jen :) and how you have changed it from a limitation to not. It does all feel like a choice here too. A few weeks ago I had a tooth infection and was around my family and feeling a bit miserable with the tooth and getting frustrated with my little niece and nephew for arguing with each other. Then I remembered I choose this feeling. And it all changed. I decided to love the pain. I decided to appreciate it for the lesson it was giving me. I looked at my niece and nephew in a new light. I saw I was projecting my conditioning from my own childhood and poor relationship with my sister onto my niece and nephew and judging them for it. If this new light all was forgiven and I gave my love to these beautiful children. I gave myself to them more fully and our relationships became closer and more authentic. It was wonderful.

Thank you for reminding me of this :) much Love to your Love,

Jack
EnterZenFromThere

Postby aquarius123esoteric » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:51 pm

I would rather ask: 'What is awakening?' To me, it merely means to become aware of our spiritual nature, i.e. that we are mainly a spirit and soul who is presently encased and entombed in a physical existence on the Earth plane.

With love - Aquarius
aquarius123esoteric

Postby DavidB » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:17 am

I would rather ask: 'What is awakening?' To me, it merely means to become aware of our spiritual nature, i.e. that we are mainly a spirit and soul who is presently encased and entombed in a physical existence on the Earth plane.

With love - Aquarius

Encased and entombed sounds a bit on the ominous side. :lol: I'm sure you probably didn't mean to give that impression though.

I agree, it is to become aware of our spiritual nature. I might add though that physical existence isn't separate from our spiritual nature, physical existence is a manifestation of our spiritual nature in the physical form and therefore equally as wonderful and beautiful an expression of the divine as any other expression, albeit though with it's wonderfully divine faults and flaws, which is always an aspect of the manifestation of physical form, with the yin and the yang and the polarities indicative of physical manifestation. :)
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby aquarius123esoteric » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:25 pm

Dear David,

How right you are! I couldn't agree more with everything you have to say about this theme. I too believe that our physical existence and all our experiences are of great value. But in spite of that, that which happens behind the scenes of life is always of the greater importance.

With love - Aquarius
aquarius123esoteric

Previous

Return to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization