Who am I the same as going into the inner body deeply?

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.
PresencePower

Who am I the same as going into the inner body deeply?

Post by PresencePower » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:54 am

Hey guys, just a question, does anyone know whether Ramana Maharishi's who am i? method of stilling the mind is the same as going deep into the inner body?

Because I have read that when asked if Who Am I? was a intellectual excersise, Ramana then replied no, that it is actually diving within and holding onto the source from which the I arises and abiding there. Seeing how going into the inner body deeply, one knows directly that "I AM" but is not thinking, is it not logical to conclude that both feeling the inner body and holding onto the source from which the I arises are both the same technique? holding onto the Silence which underlies all thought/experience?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated

peace and love

karmarider

Re: Who am I the same as going into the inner body deeply?

Post by karmarider » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:05 am

It's just looking at the what it feels like to be you. Your sense of self. Which is very oridinary. And familiar.

I don't see it as similar to inner body meditation.

Check out John Sherman.

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:46 am

karmarider wrote:It's just looking at the what it feels like to be you. Your sense of self. Which is very oridinary. And familiar.

I don't see it as similar to inner body meditation.

Check out John Sherman.
What makes you think its not similar?

I don't see a difference between either Sherman's or Tolle's meditation. Both want you to focus your attention onto your bodily sensations.

They both start out their meditations, by demonstrating that you can place your attention on whatever part of the body you choose. Eventually both meditations lead you to focus attention on the body as whole.

I really can't see a difference between those two.

However, Ramana Maharshi's is a little different in its approach. He poses the questions "To whom do these thoughts arise?" To me! Who am I? This puts the Mind in an alert but receptive state. Whether that leads one attention to his bodily sensations... is anyone's guess. :lol:

arel

Post by arel » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:03 pm

Hey guys, just a question, does anyone know whether Ramana Maharishi's who am i? method of stilling the mind is the same as going deep into the inner body?
Keep in mind that all responses to these question are individual perspectives, it's better if you get clear on the answer from your own experience/feeling.

I would say it's not the same. Inner body awareness is a technique to facilitate knowing what you are. But "Who am I?" is the most direct final question, answer to which if you know without a doubt, is the end of a spiritual inquiry/search.

You place your attention on this thing or that thing, and then on the body. The look of it for example, and other sensations of it.

You might be able to logically and experimentally conclude that if you are aware of the body then you are not the body.

Is that clear/true in your experience, can you arrive to that conclusion?

As you are aware of the experience of the body and everything else, what is it that is aware of all that experience? Who am I?

The answer to that is just another knowledge that you acquire from doing the exercise. When you are clear on that knowledge, you are done.

You might then often find yourself to come back to that knowledge/contemplation of who you really are.

Or it happens when you feel scared for yourself, in different life situations, usually unpleasant ones. At those moments you might realize you are lost in the wrong sense of yourself, mistaking it for the body again, and instantaneously, the knowledge of who you REALLY are comes to the forefront of your experience, in essence repeating the exercise of "who am I?".
What I say is only my viewpoint.