THIS MOTHERFUCKING SHIT DOES NOT WORK!!

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.

THIS MOTHERFUCKING SHIT DOES NOT WORK!!

Postby therock » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:01 pm

I literally go crazy ! My thoughts wont stop

This man claims that he spent two years sitting on a fucking bench with pure joy..how is this shit possible ???
He says be aware of your thoughts and say ' Oh there is a pain body '..but I have to say this every 2 sec I go insane.

How can this bastard claim that just being awre of your hands for example and then looking around the room and suddenly you are happy?
Is there anyone who lives a life full of joy and without negative thoughts?
It is impossible
Can sb please explain how this shit works
therock

Re: THIS MOTHERFUCKING SHIT DOES NOT WORK!!

Postby Webwanderer » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:39 pm

therock wrote:Is there anyone who lives a life full of joy and without negative thoughts?

Probably not. But there are those whose lives have more joy and less negative thoughts. Some a lot more, and a lot less. There may be some who are completely free of negative thoughts, but they are surely rare.

This is where insightful teaching, effectively applied, can take you: Say for example, today you have 98% negative thoughts. Tomorrow however, you make a decision to focus more on mindfulness, and when you observe a negative thought you let it go in favor of a recognition that it's just a conditioned thought arising out of habit and then choose to consider what you might learn from it, or how you might prefer to think about whatever the thought suggested.

Doing this repeatedly throughout the day, you cut down the percentage of negative thoughts to 95%. That's still a lot, but it's progress. The next day you do the same, only now because you are more alert to negative thoughts, you catch more of them arising and deal with them a bit sooner. This day you cut your percentage of negative thoughts down to 90%. That's more progress.

This is the way it works. Step by step progress until the preponderance of thought is more positive than negative. Those who stay with it and make it a way of life, become happier more joyful people. It's not that they never have another negative thought, it's that they have learned what they are and how to deal with them to their advantage. Understand there is momentum of energy behind what arises in our thoughts. Until we refocus our attention to where we prefer that our experience to go, there is nothing really to change our life experience as it pertains to the type of thoughts that dominate out consciousness.

Be very cautious about keeping score. While one still has the inclination towards negative thinking, perceived failures can get unfairly magnified and replenish negative momentum.

All this said, thought is just the surface issues. More important than our thoughts are the feelings that underlie them. We can think what we want, but if we don't feel the meaning of the thoughts we think, there is little power to make them real in our perspective - and ultimately our experience. The thing is, when we are thinking negatively, there is usually strong emotion and energy flowing into them. Just look at your own post to begin this thread. It screams of powerful emotion.

So pay special attention to the way you feel. This is where the real work is done toward change, and great progress can be made. I strongly suggest you take time to feel moments and issues of appreciation (not the same as gratitude). The more, and deeper you feel and rest in appreciation, the more joy will come into your life. Only time and experience will prove this true for you.

The good news is, your anger expressed here also indicates that you really want it over. So there you have it - a choice to make.

Can sb please explain how this shit works

You asked a genuine and heartfelt question, and now you have and actionable answer. What will you do with it?

This is not a matter to try once or twice and then evaluate it a success or failure. It's recognizing a new direction in life walking the path from this point forward. There is no success or failure to be measured. There is only your experience of today and doing your best to make it better. The harsher you judge yourself in the process, the more you will slow down your growth of consciousness. But you can always - always - start again.

Remember there is momentum in your life experience and in your thinking. Until you effectively, through repetition and practice, refocus your energy, that momentum will likely continue. Stay with it and there will be created new direction and new momentum. It's up to you.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby ashley72 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:31 am

therock wrote:I literally go crazy ! My thoughts wont stop

Anxious thoughts are created by treating some "stimulus" as dangerous or threatening. Therefore, "Anxious thoughts" are a symptom of Anxious thinking.

Now what happens when a person starts to treat or perceive the "actual" symptoms of Anxious thinking as also threatening?

You create a positive feedback loop.... In other words, you get more & more anxious thoughts.

1st Order: Initial physical stimulus + perceived as dangerous => Anxious Thoughts - Symbolic (Response or symptoms)

2nd Order: Response or Symptoms (Anxious thoughts - Symbolic) + perceived as dangerous => More Anxious Thoughts (more unwanted symbols)

The way to break the loop is to stop treating or perceiving "Anxious thoughts" as dangerous.... but rather as "discomfort". This will break the positive feedback cycle.

Basically, our Thoughts act our behaviours.... and then behaviours can act back on our Thoughts. Its a Feedback loop and feedback occurs because we are "conscious" of all these different categories.

In Summary, its our perception or treatment of the stimulus (in this case your thoughts) which creates more of undesirable state. You basically getting tricked. It is called the anxiety trick. Once you see how this comes about, you will stop perceiving your thoughts as threatening and your mental state will become more harmonious and balanced.
Last edited by ashley72 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
ashley72

Postby peas » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:43 am

therock wrote:I literally go crazy ! My thoughts wont stop ... Can sb please explain how this shit works

What's so wrong with thoughts not stopping? It sounds like you are making them into a bigger problem by insisting that they stop.

WW suggested mindfulness. That's actually the first step I took. It was hard to do given how dominant thoughts were in my brain. But I was suffering so much that I would try anything.

The way someone explained mindfulness meditation to me for the first time was very effective.

Think of a thought as a person walking past you. Close your eyes. Focus on slow breaths through your nose, in and out. When a thought arises, watch that thought 'walk' past you, as they walk from one side to the other and then out of sight. It's like a constant walk. It's like you notice and recognise the person (thought) walking past but you don't say hi. You just let them walk past and away, watching as they do so. Don't make thoughts come, just let them come naturally, about whatever arises.

At first I could do this for only a short time. My mind would be racing. Slowly over time I was able to expand this practice.

There were other experiences after that but this certainly sounds like where you are at.
peas

Postby ashley72 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:22 am

peas wrote:Think of a thought as a person walking past you. Close your eyes. Focus on slow breaths through your nose, in and out. When a thought arises, watch that thought 'walk' past you, as they walk from one side to the other and then out of sight. It's like a constant walk. It's like you notice and recognise the person (thought) walking past but you don't say hi. You just let them walk past and away, watching as they do so. Don't make thoughts come, just let them come naturally, about whatever arises.

Peas,

If someone perceives a "physical" person as dangerous & threatening.... what should they do? Keep away from them?? Avoid them? Yes. In normal life by keeping away from some physical danger protects us from physical harm.

But if someone perceives a "thought" (merely a symbol) as dangerous & threatening what should they do? Keep away from the thought? Avoid the thought? No. Because threatening or unwanted thoughts are a "1st order" symptom of perceiving some physical stimulus as "dangerous". Anxious thoughts only exist to protect us from some physical danger, but we don't need protecting against our unwanted thoughts right? No because "unwanted thoughts" are a 2nd-order bogeyman.

ashley72

Postby peas » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:35 am

Mixing analogies is never a good idea.
peas

Postby Sighclone » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:39 am

..but I have to say this every 2 sec I go insane.

So drop Eckhart Tolle and get conventional counseling and medications for a few months.

And check our rules, here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2051

You have violated #5 and #7 (sb is not a word.) Many of our members do not have English as a native language and text abbreviations are not allowed.

And your title is in all capital letters.

WW and others were kind because it is clear that you suffering big time. We, here, however, are not the cause of your suffering. There is no reason to disrespect the forum with shouted obscenities. Stop it or be banned. Consider yourself warned twice.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby treasuretheday » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:31 pm

Hi Rock! I just want to chime in to offer some words of encouragement too! First of all...please read Webwanderer's wonderful post carefully! He provided you a very clear, insightful reply. I can't underscore his wisdom emphatically enough!
Webwanderer wrote:There may be some who are completely free of negative thoughts, but they are surely rare.
Remember this! It is not helpful to be unrealistic and beat yourself up for not reaching an impossible standard!
Webwanderer wrote:Those who stay with it and make it a way of life, become happier more joyful people. It's not that they never have another negative thought, it's that they have learned what they are and how to deal with them..
Yes! Isn't that comforting, Rock? We don't have to "get rid" of or "purge" our negative thoughts to be happy! We just need to see these thoughts for what they are and then they won't hold so much power over us and steal our joy!

Maybe our minds will never stop telling us unpleasant things, but we don't have to believe every thought we think! Our minds like to "go negative!" Sometimes it seems like that's the mind's favorite "hobby!" But we don't have to be pulled down by those negative thoughts. We can recognize their presence, realize they are only words, and let them be. You needn't judge the thoughts as "bad" or yourself as "bad" for having them. Instead of labeling your thoughts as good or bad, positive or negative, true or false, you might try asking yourself, "Is this thought helpful?" If it is not,
Webwanderer wrote:we refocus our attention to where we prefer that our experience to go

Webwanderer wrote:The good news is, your anger expressed here also indicates that you really want it over.
Whatever you've done so far, wherever you've been, everything you've experienced is grist for the mill! Your entire life has been leading to this moment. A new wave of possibility is washing upon The Rock! Sometimes it is the experience of what you do not want that best teaches you what you DO want! Every experience confronts you with a choice. Claim for yourself new, exciting, life-affirming possibilities! Best wishes!
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby ashley72 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:16 pm

peas wrote:Mixing analogies is never a good idea.

I'm not mixing analogies. Mixing analogies is when we pair two or more comparisons (maps) together, which create a jumbled delivery.

take a shot in the dark" is a combination of "a stab in the dark" and "take a shot at it." One is a random attempt, and the other is just an attempt so it confuses two very different metaphors.

I am guilty of a jumbled delivery! :D ....but it wasn't two or more comparisons (maps).

What we have is two distinct "domains" which is only one mapping not two. There is a physical domain (source domain) and a symbolic domain (target domain). The source is mapped onto the target domain.

Our fear network (Amygdala) evolved in nature to deal effectively with physical threats, in order to protect us from physical harm. But there is an inherent dysfunction built into this cross domain system, whereby the physical stimulus can also be replaced with a purely symbolic stimulus such as an anxious thinking. Whereby the response becomes the stimulus in a positive gain.

Another way to think about the two domains is the physical domain is the stimulus domain, whilst the mental domain is the response domain.

What happens with a positive gain is the response within the response domain, is flipped into a stimulus.... So that the response domain acts on itself in a positive gain.

I know my delivery is jumbled, but what I'm saying is characteristic of all feedback systems.
ashley72

Postby far_eastofwest » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:21 am

therock wrote:
This man claims that he spent two years sitting on a fucking bench with pure joy..how is this shit possible ???
He says be aware of your thoughts and say ' Oh there is a pain body '..but I have to say this every 2 sec I go insane.

Don't believe everything you read... I can write "for the last two months I have been doing my duties as a housewife full of pure joy".
Well? Who can argue with that.... no one can prove otherwise....

Tetris (tetrisfriends.com) is the place to go to No Thought.... as soon as your mind 'wanders'..... well its all over.... so you learn No Thought thru it quite easily.
oh
Its really good fun too
:-)
There is nothing harder to find than a black cat in a dark room
Especially when there is no cat....
far_eastofwest

Postby therock » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:56 pm

Hej thank ya'll for the great advices so far !
In my case I have the fear of not being straight anymore, since two dreams about five weeks ago..
Now what my mind does: It checks everything that could be a sign that I could be bi or gay.
But again that is something I CLEARLY SO NOT WANT. If I have to wander to the other side of the globe so that I am sure that I am straight I'd do it right now.
So what should I do? Should I say to myself : Ok the painbody is there and is searching for reasons to make me unhappy...Let him do it.
But that does not really help me..in everything I do I feel this fckin painbody being there...I cannot breathe good..I am not able to do sth else..it has completely takin over my power and I fear that I'll never be the same agin..
Regards
therock

Postby KathleenBrugger » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:31 pm

therock wrote:So what should I do? Should I say to myself : Ok the painbody is there and is searching for reasons to make me unhappy...Let him do it.
But that does not really help me..in everything I do I feel this fckin painbody being there...I cannot breathe good..I am not able to do sth else..it has completely takin over my power and I fear that I'll never be the same agin..
Regards

It sounds like you're saying that learning about the painbody means you are now being controlled by it. Is that right? In my experience, sometimes when we learn to identify an issue or dynamic, all of a sudden it becomes easier to see, and it looks like it's everywhere. But that's just a matter of perception. The painbody was always there in you, you just didn't know how to label it so you just called it things like "depression" or "sadness" or "anger." You thought it was just the normal, in-the-moment reaction to an event or situation. But now that Tolle has given you a context for understanding how all of these emotional reactions are linked, you see how many of your emotional responses are from the painbody. It feels like it has "taken over your power," but the truth is you never had that power you're imagining. You've always been constrained by your conditioned mind. You just didn't know it before.

For most of us it's not easy to re-program the mind. The conditioning runs very deep, and most of the people around us in our daily lives are completely unaware of what we're talking about here in this forum. So there's a lot of agreement on staying asleep. I think most of us can sympathize with your struggle, rock. There's been some good advice here on dealing with your thoughts. One bit I'll reiterate: there are many methods to get your thoughts under control. Some methods might not be appropriate for you, so if what you're doing isn't working, try something else. I like moving while meditating; I've just discovered QiGong and find it a fantastic way to still my thoughts.

As to your fears about your sexuality: take some deep breaths here. Cultures do some deep programming in regard to sexual attitudes. Put your focus on stilling your mind; that will help you get clear on this issue.
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/
KathleenBrugger

Postby karmarider » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:29 am

therock, coming to the conclusion that spirituality is full of crap is a good sign that sanity is emerging.

So what should you do? I'm sure you're already doing it. It is compelling, impelling and sticky--it won't leave you alone.

Keep exploring.
karmarider

Postby Psychoslice » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:22 am

There is nothing you can do to make this stuff work, its when you are no even there, that it happens, what may seem to work for one, may not work for another. Setting down doing nothing may be not for you, you may find this experience doing everything you do, if you are so called under grace it will happen no matter what your doing.
Psychoslice

Return to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization