How to wake up

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.

How to wake up

Postby Adi » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:25 am

I have been reading lots of eastern spiritual philosophy such as Buddhism over the last several years and also meditating lots, practising mindfulness, chanting and doing yoga. Everything I read including Eckharte Tolle's books talks about this practice of recognising what we are not such as saying to yourself "I am not this hearing or these ears that are hearing, I am not these thoughts, this body, these sensations, this mind, what am I, I am that" etc. Im sure you're all well aware of this kind of thing.
So I practice this and I ask myself what am I, who am I but just cannot seem to understand this concept or move past an awareness that I am a mind and a body. I don't feel this sense of being ever present awareness. No matter how much I sit there and tell myself I am not this but without knowing anything else how can ever realise that I am not this? I see my body here, my mind thinks and engages with this world and this life so how can it not be me? All the teachings also say to awaken is not an experience nor is there anything you need do yet they present it as though it is.
I begun living this way of life i.e. seeking truth and meaning because I was not happy in my life and felt controlled by external circumstances. I totally get that Im not my thoughts and sensations, that seems obvious, but I dont get that Im not my body and mind. I am becoming more and more confused about this whereas I want more clarity. If this is true why is it so difficult to see? I feel like Im semi conscious but I want to be fully conscious.
Adi

Re: How to wake up

Postby Onceler » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:03 pm

The one thing that really changed things for me was the simple inquiry, 'how does it feel to be me'. This is a non-cognitive exploration and done by shifting attention to 'me'. It is a felt sense of me. Try it and see what 'me' includes. Do this whenever you think to do it.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby dijmart » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:55 am

I can say that if I was doing something or reading a certain author and I wasn't feeling the truth or having AH HA moments, I switched the doing and/or the author. I have a stack of Douglas Harding books I had ordered early on and read one or two and just wasn't feelin' it. So, I abandoned them and him completely. I moved on, I think I came across Mooji and watched tons of his youtube videos and Nisargadatta ,then Ramana. Of course, ET was the first though! Everyone path is different, there use to be people on this forum who swore by D. Harding, but he wasn't for me, for whatever reason.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Ralph » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:33 am

Adi wrote: I don't feel this sense of being ever present awareness. No matter how much I sit there and tell myself I am not this but without knowing anything else how can ever realise that I am not this? I see my body here, my mind thinks and engages with this world and this life so how can it not be me?

..... but can you see that there is this ever present Awareness that SEES all the doings of the one that is doing all this seeking. Perhaps, this is hard to see because you are too busy seeing through the eyes of the me without realizing that this me is what is keeping you from the true Seeing . What is always constant and aware is this ever present Awareness and you are that. What may help is take a different approach, can you see that there is this Awareness that sees your body/mind ?..it see your hands, your thoughts, it is always aware, , It is closer than you next breath, if you blink, you may miss it.
You say, "I see my body here" but what truly sees this ? ... who is this 'I' that sees this body/mind ... this needs to be investigated.
Ralph

Postby Manyana » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:39 am

Hi Adi, maybe dont worry too much about the conceptual for now, and explore more the experiential, and go further into the body.

In PON, in the section about the inner body Eckhart writes:

The fact is that no one has ever become enlightened through denying or fighting the body or through an out-of-the-body experience. Although such an experience can be fascinating and can give you a glimpse of the state of liberation from the material form, in the end you will always have to return to the body, where the essential work of transformation takes place. Transformation is through the body, not away from it.
Manyana

Postby kafi » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:34 pm

Hi Adi,
in retrospect, the following things have been crucial on my journey:

1) Reading many NDEs ( my favorite ones were the exceptional accounts on nderf.org,
http://www.nderf.org/NDERF/NDE_Archives/Exceptional%20Accounts.htm )

Especially, Pam Reynolds’ famous NDE during brain surgery made me accept that my consciousness does not arise from the neuronal acitivity in my brain, but that it is actually the other way round. I will exist even if my brain and body don’t exist any more.

2) Doing the Awareness-Watching-Awareness exercise of Michael Langford ( The most Direct Means to Eternal Bliss) .
This is the same as John Sherman’s Just One Look. The focus of attention turns back 180 degrees in order to look at the one who is looking.

3) Reading Greg Goode’s Direct Path .
The chapter about ‘Does awareness arise from the brain’ gave me the direct experience that the feeling of “I am located behind my eyes, between my ears” can actually be looked at in awareness. And therefore, the brain arises in awareness ( and not the other way round).

4) Synchronicities.
Since I have become more peaceful inside, I have experienced fast synchronicities. I wish something and this wish comes marching around the corner manifest within quite a short time. And that has convinced me that I am not located in my body. Rather, I am the ground of being which puts the wish into my mind and then takes care of its fulfillment.
And the ground of being is a single one. It is not many consciousnesses. No, it is a single guiding hand behind all seemingly separate appearances that is able to take care of the perfect orchestration of events .

See, if I am located in my head, then I can wish to lift my arm, and my arm will be lifted.
But the thing is , not only can I make my arm lift, but it appears that my wish can influence other things to appear. Therefore, I can not be located in my body.

I wrote more about this here ( Ego deconstruction – supported by LoA):
http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth.info/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=12571

Once in a while, I complain to God that I still see these seemingly separate people running around , and isn’t this supposed to vanish somehow? Then, the answer appears in my mind: “A mirage will continue to look like water - even if you know that it is not water.”

Ok, I got to be patient here and see what lies ahead on the path.
I still have ego going on . And I still have a sense of self. I am curious whether that is going to vanish.
kafi

Return to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization