Is it possible to awaken in many lives?

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.

Is it possible to awaken in many lives?

Postby Maringa » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:23 pm

Hi there,

I have been thinking about something; Is it possible to awaken in many lives?

I had my first experience of enlightenment 2011 when I first listened to The Power of Now audiobook, then a similar experience 2012 and since then my awareness has been increasing and I'm getting more and more aware and present. Is it possible that I had this experience in previous lives?

My intuition says no, if you awaken NOW, you'll be fully awake in your next life or might not choose to come back to earth at all, because I do not think it's possible to back and become less enlightened, or?

What do you think? :D
User avatar
Maringa
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Re: Is it possible to awaken in many lives?

Postby Webwanderer » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:48 am

I don't think it's quite that simple. My sense is that egos do not reincarnate. Souls, our greater being, incarnates as it will. It's not so much a matter of awakening in any given incarnation, but rather a matter of exploring unique possibilities of experience. It may be an awakened life, or it may be a mentally handicapped one - or something else entirely. It may be in this time frame, or it may be in some other. It may even be in an entirely different life expression. The possibilities are endless.

Life experience is an opportunity of exploration. From our soul perspective, what possibility of experience offers an expansion we wish to explore?

Of course this is only my take on it. It currently feels more accurate than anything I've considered to date. No doubt that perception will continue to evolve.

WW
User avatar
Webwanderer
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 6257
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:03 am

Re: Is it possible to awaken in many lives?

Postby DavidB » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:45 am

Life lives through us, so speak.

We are life of course, but the manifesting momentum of the universe uses our physical form to achieve its goal of uniting the inner dimension of spirit with the outer dimensions of form.

Whatever else our human existence entails, becoming awakened to our inner dimension and therefore being in alighenment with life/nature/universe is always our primary objective. Once this goal has been acheived, do we come back? I have no idea.

Yes, it is possible to awaken in many lives. Does it happen this way? I don't really know anything about that.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
User avatar
DavidB
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:55 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Is it possible to awaken in many lives?

Postby Maringa » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:59 pm

Image

Webwanderer you say that egos don't incarnate, but if someone looses his or her ego then they will probably not lose what is left?

If illumination and transfiguration is the last steps of enlightenment, then an enlightened person should be able to ascend or shift into any form?

Eckhart Tolle no longer live in the nonlinear realm, and if his ego is truly lost he will not die but just simply leave his body fully
awake and in that sense his consciousness will not be lost, because there is nothing that can be lost. "The secret to life is to
die before you die"
User avatar
Maringa
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Re: Is it possible to awaken in many lives?

Postby Enlightened2B » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:16 pm

Maringa wrote:
Webwanderer you say that egos don't incarnate, but if someone looses his or her ego then they will probably not lose what is left?

If illumination and transfiguration is the last steps of enlightenment, then an enlightened person should be able to ascend or shift into any form?

Eckhart Tolle no longer live in the nonlinear realm, and if his ego is truly lost he will not die but just simply leave his body fully
awake and in that sense his consciousness will not be lost, because there is nothing that can be lost. "The secret to life is to
die before you die"


Maringa,

You can't lose your ego while still experiencing in a human body. That's impossible. This is the danger of taking any phrase or teaching too literally as it only leads to more concepts and definitions and labels. Your ego is that, which allows this conversation to take place. My perspective conversing with yours. No matter how wide or narrow your lens of perspective are, there will always be an ego in this physical realm, hence your preferences for certain things in life versus my preferences for other things instead.

Ego is a term that can be taken in multiple contexts. How large your ego is, in my opinion, is determined by who/what you perceive yourself as in any given experience. If you merely perceive yourself to be the one body/mind that you are, then your ego likely will be stronger, because you will likely need to defend a position more so and that will be your experience. Yet, if you widen your perspective and see yourself as more than just a body/mind, then there's a better chance that you will have to less to defend and your experience might bring less suffering.

Eckhart Tolle is of course most certainly still living in the same realm that you and I are living in, hence, he still has a physical body. It's just that his perspective has widened so much, that he is likely more aligned vibrationally with his nature of Love, than perhaps some other people.

The stage of enlightenment chart that Jen posted a while back can vary. It's not meant to be a static thing in my opinion. For most people, I would say that we vary from level to level at different times. It's part of the roller coaster of humanness.

The expression "die before you die" is not meant to be taken literally, in the sense that the ego can actually 'die' prior to death of the body. It's a metaphor for awakening to the realization that 'I am not merely just my ego'. So the 'dying part' doesn't mean the ego actually 'dies', it means you might see through the illusion of separation, in that beyond thought, nothing is actually separate. The ego will still exist, but will no longer be as believable as it once was perhaps.

Consider instead that regardless of how strong your ego is, meaning, whether you are Eckhart Tolle or whether you are a sociopathic serial killer, your body still dies, yet YOU live on because you are not your body nor your mind. You already are Awareness. You are Being, expressing itself through/as this human body/mind known as Maringa. No matter what you do or don't do in this life, you are going back to the exact same place as Eckhart Tolle and that is not really a place, it is merely the awakening from the dream of being human. When your body dies, you take off the costume of humanness and remember who you truly are. There is no enlightenment to attain in this lifetime in order to make sure you as the Soul live on. There is not right/wrong that you can possibly do or don't do in this life. Your perspective is equally valuable to the whole as Adolf Hitler's perspective. Consider the Source Awareness perspective that expressed itself as Adolf Hitler awakened to the exact same after life realm that the Source Awareness perspective known as Eckhart Tolle will when he too dies.

Consider the purpose of human life is merely for the experience of relating with something that is perceived as other than us. We already are whole. Therefore, physical life allows for the expression of reflection and life/death. Relationships are all around us as they reflect to us where we need growth and evolution. The expansion of Love and bringing these experiences back home after our journey here in humanness is over is main purpose. To be the highest versions of ourselves as possible while here in humanness which includes honesty to ourselves and to others. But if you forget and get completely lost in ego, that too is perfectly ok in the long run.

That's just my experience and I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but felt like sharing. WW will provide his own perspective.
Enlightened2B
 
Posts: 1885
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 10:51 pm
Location: New York

Re: Is it possible to awaken in many lives?

Postby Webwanderer » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:30 am

Maringa wrote:Webwanderer you say that egos don't incarnate, but if someone looses his or her ego then they will probably not lose what is left?

If illumination and transfiguration is the last steps of enlightenment, then an enlightened person should be able to ascend or shift into any form?


It's a fun speculation, but I suggest you not get too attached to any particular belief about it. In my view, there is no last step to enlightenment. There is only the evolution and expansion of consciousness - a process that is ongoing and lasts forever. In a relative sense one might be considered enlightened relative to an earlier more limited state. But that is not some final destination, only another step along the Way.

Eckhart Tolle no longer live in the nonlinear realm, and if his ego is truly lost he will not die but just simply leave his body fully
awake and in that sense his consciousness will not be lost, because there is nothing that can be lost. "The secret to life is to
die before you die"

I agree that one can be so clear on the nature of death and life beyond that there is a smooth transition from one's physical focus to their natural state when the body is abandoned. Ego, in my perspective, is a thought construct about our being human. I've never met anyone, nor heard ample evidence that anyone yet had a human form while living consciously in greater realities.

That is not to say there are not many who have directly experienced states of consciousness beyond what the physical form generally offers. There are many who have had such experiences and have developed a sense of our greater reality that profoundly alters how they view their human existence. In this the old ego structures are altered accordingly.

Illumination and enlightenment are high standards indeed. So high that they likely seem unattainable. My sense is that it is a fools errand to have such a litmus test for a successful life. Even to consider it possible may lead to an underlying sense of failure. Even if such states exist, seeking to attain them is likely an egoic pursuit. Simply an ever present interest and desire for more clarity will put one on the path to expanded awareness. And if a state of enlightenment should exist, it will likely be a by-product of this genuine interest. Meanwhile life is not lived in comparison to what is not, but rather in the joyful experience of ever present growth and expansion.

WW
User avatar
Webwanderer
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 6257
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:03 am

Re: Is it possible to awaken in many lives?

Postby Maringa » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:46 pm

Thank you for your insightful answers, very useful for me! :)

Now I feel like each person has his or her own view of what enlightenment really means. For me "transfiguration" and illumination doesn't sound unattainable, I really do think it exists and I really do believe that ego can be transmuted into true presence. But that is just my reality and beliefs right now, and it will probably change the more I learn and experience.

Perhaps I've just read too much Carlos Castaneda :D
User avatar
Maringa
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Re: Is it possible to awaken in many lives?

Postby Webwanderer » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:52 pm

Me thinks that Castaneda had an interest in selling books. I confess that I enjoyed them immensely.

WW
User avatar
Webwanderer
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 6257
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:03 am

Re: Is it possible to awaken in many lives?

Postby kafi » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:07 pm

Hi Maringa,
I have read the books by Gary Renard (Disappearance of the Universe and two others). They explain A Course In Miracles in a very entertaining way.
And, yes, they state exactly what you said. After enlightenment, there is no need to incarnate here again.

This is just my belief. Of course, I cannot offer any experience.
But I think , the source is trustworthy. Again, this is just my personal belief.

For me, this makes sense.
I have experienced that thought forms are prior to the manifested stuff in 3D timespace reality.
Therefore, it makes sense that the thought of 'I am separate' is prior to the manifestation of a physical body
which is equipped with a set of input channels, which are called sense organs,
which in turn make me assume that I live in a world of a thousand separate things out there.

In short, the thought 'I am separate' is the entry ticket for this world. Makes sense to me.
Therefore, I conclude that after the error of separation is undone, there should be no need to incarnate again.
kafi
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:24 am

Re: Is it possible to awaken in many lives?

Postby Webwanderer » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:09 pm

kafi wrote:Therefore, I conclude that after the error of separation is undone,

I suggest that 'separation' is not an error. Rather, it is an exploration. There is no need to make the human experience wrong. It is just one possible environment in an eternity of possibilities.

WW
User avatar
Webwanderer
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 6257
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:03 am

Re: Is it possible to awaken in many lives?

Postby Maringa » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:35 pm

Webwanderer wrote:
kafi wrote:Therefore, I conclude that after the error of separation is undone,

I suggest that 'separation' is not an error. Rather, it is an exploration. There is no need to make the human experience wrong. It is just one possible environment in an eternity of possibilities.

WW


You are too deep! :D

kafi wrote:After enlightenment, there is no need to incarnate here again.


This is what resonates the most with my beliefs right now, maybe it's naive and maybe there's so much more but I feel more comfortable with this thought :wink:
User avatar
Maringa
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Re: Is it possible to awaken in many lives?

Postby kafi » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:11 pm

WW, ok, 'error' is too strong. This would make everyone depressive. That is not my intent.

I was thinking of ACIM: separation is a tiny, mad idea which we forgot to laugh about and which we took seriously instead. This has caused the 3d realm of separate bodies.
Ok, a tiny mad idea which has been taken seriously is not an error. It is just an exploration.
(I have to remember that when my son does his math homework and calculates 2+2=5.
Breathe and keep calm....
It is not an error....It is just an exploration. Let's see what effects this has. Oh, cool. If I earn two plus two months of salaries, then my banking account all of a sudden features five salaries. How cool. I like that.
I would definitely recommend to my son that he keeps this. 2+2=5 . What an invention! :) )
kafi
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:24 am


Return to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest