Recipes for Awakening

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.

Recipes for Awakening

Postby vivianamis » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:06 pm

There are several paths to awakening, but what all paths have in common is that they surpass the mind. This is why meditation is a helpful tool. Meditation as most people know it is a tool one may use to help 1) control or quite to mind and 2) surpass the mind.
The most direct path is to go directly through mind without using any "outside" tools such as anything that feeds the senses.
Nisargadatta taught to focus all your attention on "I am" sit with it and keep affirming it. Ramana Maharsi taught to ask the question "Who am I?" This is considered "Self - inquiry".
I was seeking the Truth, not enlightenment, awakening or my Self. I wanted to know the Truth. My meditation was "Truth - inquiry" and my question was: "What is the Truth?"
When we sit with nothing but ourselves in meditation and focus our attention on a question such as :"What is the Truth?" the mind will answer that question. When we repeat that question we will continue to receive answers from the mind. These answers are all based on information we have gathered throughout our life, either from others or from our own conclusions.
When the mind has reached the end of all this information it "gives up" and the real Self/Truth is revealed.
Enlightenment is not something we "get" it is something we already are and realize once the veil of ignorance is lifted.
"To know the Truth, you have to be out of your mind"
vivianamis

Re: Recipes for Awakening

Postby kiki » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:05 am

And there is no "one size fits all" approach. Hence, all the different approaches. We can stumble around for a while until we discover what works for us.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby DavidB » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:14 am

vivianamis wrote:Enlightenment is not something we "get" it is something we already are and realize once the veil of ignorance is lifted.

Yes indeed, ultimately the truth comes and it is seen to be so simple and divine, a forehead slapping moment that left me wondering why it took so long for me to realize that, going through so many twists and turns and roundabouts. Oh well, it took me so long to become so completely deluded, I guess it can take a long time to undo all that.

It's an amazing journey. :)
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby vivianamis » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:16 am

Yes David! So true : )
"To know the Truth, you have to be out of your mind"
vivianamis

Return to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization