Question about meditation

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.

Question about meditation

Postby joe » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:12 am

So when you follow your breath, what exactly should you be experiencing? Is it simply calm or do you get some inner wisdom? It has been feeling more like an exercise to me lately. I know there are instructions that tell you to focus on different things, but its the same as focusing on the breath. Just following. But where does the transformation occur?

By the way, was this site down recently? I couldn't get it.
joe

Re: Question about meditation

Postby DavidB » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:45 am

Hi Joe,

Focusing on breathing/meditation, is a technique, designed to get you used to not thinking. Quite simply, if you are focused on breathing, you can't be thinking. You cannot do both at the same time. It is a door way into present state awareness.

Once you get used to that, then techniques are no longer necessary, you can go straight into presence without needing any doorways. You can then deepen that present state awareness and essentially remain in presence indefinitely. Presence though is your natural state of being, so being in that state is essentially effortless, so being in that state is not something we can achieve as such, as it is who we already are when the distractions and identifications dissolve.

The realization that is suppose to occur, is that you come to realize that you are not the thinking mind. Because if mind has stopped, from focusing on breathing, then you cannot be the mind. The mind has stopped it's incessant activity, yet you are still keenly aware of being conscious.

When you realize that you are not the mind, then the imagined self with all it's problems become like a mirage. That mirage is then no longer able to have power over your life. That is the transformation, the living consciously.

Good luck. :)
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby kiki » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:22 pm

Good answer, DavidB.

When all is said and done, breath meditation leads to the realization that something is present when all else is absent, and you are that. When thoughts are gone the "perfume" of your own true nature becomes apparent, which is stillness, silence, and peace/contentment.

As you become more familiar with your own true nature on a conscious level you begin to notice that perfume even while thinking and performing action. In the beginning the breath acts like an anchor, and gives you something to return attention to once you've noticed the mind was caught up in thoughts again. Eventually you notice presence all the time, in and out of sit down meditation sessions.

It is in this clear and calm awareness when insight arises naturally and spontaneously, and that insight is the birth of wisdom because it arises out of one's own direct experience. The key to wisdom is in allowing it to arise of its own accord; it can never be forced, so don't have any expectations about something happening. Just be; just be here; just be here now and allow whatever happens to happen in innocent relaxed ease.

------------

The website was down when the site owner forgot to attend to one of his duties. If you would like to actively support the forum and keep it online you will find a donation button at the bottom of the page. Every little bit helps.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby joe » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:05 am

I thank both of you for your responses.

I guess I just feel lately that when I am sitting it is more of an exercise than a spiritual process. I focus on my breath and try to hold my attention there, lose my focus and then come back. But when I'm focused on my breath it is just a mechanical watching. I am not feeling any insight during the process. When I read instructions that discuss shifting your attention to things like sounds and feelings and noticing how the mind works, that all seems more purposeful and suggestive of the possibility of gaining insight whilst in the meditation. Should I change to those techniques? I've just been trying to keep it simple.
joe

Postby kiki » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:46 am

Go ahead and try different things, things that you feel drawn do. However, I caution against looking for something specific to happen. It seems to me you are putting pressure on yourself by having an expectation that insight should be arising, as if you can dictate that it happens on your time schedule. Any expectation will only get in the way. Just do whatever method you are drawn to for the sheer enjoyment of it, and let things unfold unconditionally. Be easy with it, relaxing into whatever method you use. Finally, keeping it simple is a wise thing.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Return to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization