Movies Concerning Awakening

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.
lucy

Re: Movies Concerning Awakening

Post by lucy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:45 pm

The Shawshank Redemption

Hand

Post by Hand » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:47 pm

"Spring, Summer, Autumn (Fall), Winter and Spring" 2003 - this is an amazing film, very little speech, highly recommended.

The Bow
3-Iron

The Scent of Green Papaya
Last edited by Hand on Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is. Accept Life. Peace reigns.

Cleis Pearce

Post by Cleis Pearce » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:47 am

I recommend the films of Kurosawa....egThe Seventh Samurai,Kagemusha...Dersu Ursala.. very deep and inspiring and also a more recent film called Himalaya.Cleis

beYOND4m

Post by beYOND4m » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:16 am

A film about ego. Spiritual teachers discuss ego during the ending credits.
:arrow: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365686/

Juniper22

Post by Juniper22 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:43 am

"The Fountain," by Darren Aronofsky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM_NF8Zp ... re=related
"Don`t think of goodness; don`t think of evil; at this instant, what is your original face?" Hui Neng

eagle2phoenix

Post by eagle2phoenix » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:10 am

X-men Origins : Wolverine. Logan realizes that it is not his nature to keep killing, that he is not an animal.
Life is fascinating. Nature is beautiful. Live life with nature.

Eggman1

Post by Eggman1 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 pm

This is my first post and this subject (movies) is very important to me. The films that are very important to me are:

The Fountain ("death is the road to awe")
Joe vs. The Volcano (the first Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan matchup, full of the spiritual, "Thank you for my life")
I Heart Huckabees ("anything you could ever want or be, you already have or are")
V for Vendetta ("God is in the rain")
Fight Club
American Beauty ("there is no reason to be afraid, ever")

BTW: Some of the posts I've read here under "Awakening", have made me feel deliciously strange.
Many of us crucify ourselves between two thieves -
regret for the past and fear of the future.
-- Fulton Oursler

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri May 01, 2009 8:07 am

Welcome Eggman1 - yup, there are a lot of twists and turns in this big ol' place - we're going on five years now...

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

jugu

Post by jugu » Fri May 08, 2009 3:28 am

Equilibrium

It's a movie that features a radical society who rids themselves of human emotion. It shows how dull and insane life would be not living emotionally.

If you want to have fun, replace the word "prosium" with "presence" throughout the movie.

This movie is really good at showing the cost of ridding yourself of emotions, and how it's not really worth it. Check it out.

peleke4

Post by peleke4 » Sat May 09, 2009 6:52 am

yes, groundhog day and forest gump are great flicks. I've heard Tolle speak of both flicks in his various audio programs. He pointed out how gump was totally nonresistant to life and because of that, right action just flowed through him. As pointed out earlier, groundhog day is a great flick about resistance to nonresistance. As the main character becomes more accepting, his life situation changes. A funny scene that comes to mind is when he's trying to make things happen with his love interest. The wanting, the desire for things to work out with the girl is the very thing that mucks things up. And when he just goes with the flow w/ no trying, that's when he hooks up with the girl.

I love American Beauty. When I first saw the flick years ago, I thought the drug dealer was kind of out there to think a plastic bag swirling in the breeze was something beautiful. After immersing myself in Tolle, I now see how something so simple could actually be a beautiful thing. Even the subject of death is brought up a couple of times in the flick (fliming the dead bird, Lester dead at the end). The drug dealer has a fascination w/ death.. perhaps because he realizes the impermanence of all things.

Grautgramsen

Post by Grautgramsen » Tue May 12, 2009 12:38 pm

Somebody mentioned "Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter.....and Spring". This is an absolutely wonderful film; very beautiful and full of silence. Here's a short description from lovefilm.com :
"A young boy lives in a small floating temple on a beautiful lake, together with an elderly master who teaches him the ways of the Buddha. Years later the boy, now a young man, experiences his sexual awakening with a girl who has come to the temple to be healed by the master. The youth runs away to the outside world but his lust turns his life into hell, so he returns to the lake temple to find spiritual enlightenment."

It's in Korean, so anyone who doesn't understand Korean will have to read subtitles, but there's not much said (or done for that matter) in this film, so it shouldn't be a problem. I am confident that most people who are into meditation, spirituality and suchlike will find that this film speaks to them.

Another film that's been mentioned by many people here is Vanilla Sky. Yes, it's good, but my preference is still the original, which is called (in English) "Open your eyes". It's in Spanish, made in 1997, with Penelope Cruz and Eduardo Noriega. A truly excellent film.

....and then there's always "The Big Lebowski" directed by the Coen brothers.... :lol: It's not exactly about "awakening", but because it's so funny, at least it'll take you effortlessly into the Now. That's what laughter does, so at least to me, really good comedies are as spiritual as anything.

kiki

Post by kiki » Tue May 12, 2009 1:52 pm

Dude, ya gotta love The Big Labowski! Thanks for the tip on the Korean film.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Eggman1

Post by Eggman1 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:24 pm

peleke4 wrote: Even the subject of death is brought up a couple of times in the flick (fliming the dead bird, Lester dead at the end). The drug dealer has a fascination w/ death.. perhaps because he realizes the impermanence of all things.
Regarding American Beauty and death:

Ricky Fitts (the drug dealer) who is enlightened, finds/sees God and beauty in death. In the scene where Ricky and Jane Burnham are confronted with death in the form of the funeral procession passing by them on the road, Ricky talks about videotaping a dead homeless woman he ran across:

Ricky Fitts: It's like God's looking right at you, just for a second, and if you're careful... you can look right back.
Jane Burnham: And what do you see?
Ricky Fitts: Beauty.

And then this exchange when someone asks what he is doing:

Ricky Fitts: I was filming this dead bird.
Angela Hayes: Why?
Ricky Fitts: Because it's beautiful.

I absolutely love this film and its final message: " I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life.... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday."

fade to black and cue the Beatles; "Because". Love it, love it, love it.

Gregg
Many of us crucify ourselves between two thieves -
regret for the past and fear of the future.
-- Fulton Oursler

peleke4

Post by peleke4 » Wed May 13, 2009 6:51 am

wow, ricky the drug dealer enlightened? that never crossed my mind! makes sense considering his outlook on life. good points you brought up. as mentioned earlier, one thing i like about the flick is how you have an initial impression of all the characters, and you later find the character is really the opp. with ricky, you're under the impression he's some loner wierdo... the two girls are talking about him and out of no where BAM... ricky, in such a cool firm manner, approaches them and introduces himself. man i love this flick!

johny

Post by johny » Mon May 18, 2009 11:36 am

Kungfu Panda. :-)
The best part of the movie? It's a quote:
"yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery and today is gift, that's why it's called present."
Surrendered laziness is my birth right --Johny
If your post/response was more than 5 lines I probably have not/will not read it. Drop me a PM if you want me to.