Movies Concerning Awakening

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.
the key master

Re: Movies Concerning Awakening

Post by the key master » Mon May 25, 2009 10:54 pm

Dude, ya gotta love The Big Labowski!
Id be embarrassed to say how many times Ive seen Lebowski. Probably between 75-100.

Just saw Star Trek and its actually a solid movie with many enlightenment themes tied in. Spok is awesome in it. I recommend. But I never watched the show if that matters...

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon May 25, 2009 11:38 pm

But I never watched the show if that matters...
If you had seen the original series you'd enjoy the movie even more. The movie was well done and the actors did a great job of inhabiting and bringing to life the original characters.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

nodoubt

Post by nodoubt » Thu May 28, 2009 8:00 am

Juniper22 wrote:"The Fountain," by Darren Aronofsky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM_NF8Zp ... re=related

I think maybe I'll watch this movie a hundred times.

Juniper22

Post by Juniper22 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:29 pm

nodoubt wrote: I think maybe I'll watch this movie a hundred times.
Enjoy... I`ve always liked Aronofskys work - "Pi" was excellent and "The Wrestler" (oscar nominee Mickey Rourke) is also well put together. "The Fountain" received a panning by the critics, but a fine film none-the-less.
"Don`t think of goodness; don`t think of evil; at this instant, what is your original face?" Hui Neng

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:24 am

watchmen

Juniper22

Post by Juniper22 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:36 am

"Don`t think of goodness; don`t think of evil; at this instant, what is your original face?" Hui Neng

student2u

Post by student2u » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:06 am

Thanks everyone, for recommending those movies – I'll check them out…

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned “The Forbidden Kingdom” by Jackie Chan and Jet Lee with Michael Angarano... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_iXLBdy ... re=related)

I found most kung fu movies are good for practicing being present. Kung fu masters' presence and alertness is like they can see in 6 directions and hear from 8 directions :wink:

This movie is a fun movie. Jackie Chan and Jet Lee were really good with their kung fu and they are hilarious in a kind of “monk's way” :lol: The story is actually based on a very popular Chinese classic novel Journey to the West which is “one of the Four Great Classical Novels of Chinese literature” and “a fictionalised account of the legends around the Buddhist monk Xuánzàng's pilgrimage to India during the Táng dynasty in order to obtain Buddhist religious texts called sutras…” (from wikipedia)

Enjoy :D
The Truth is revealed when the mind is completely out of the way...

peleke4

Post by peleke4 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:54 am

JUst saw Jim Carrey's Yes Man. Of course, an exaggerated flick about the good that may happen through surrender, but surely entertaining. In the flick, Carrey's life situation changes effortlessly by saying "yes" as opposed to no:

*the dude passing out flyers, Carrey goes and by "coincidence" meets up again with that girl who hooked him up with a ride

*Carrey dwelled his job as loan officer.. started saying "yes" to each and every request for a loan, and it turned out to be profitable for the company and himself

*the people closest to him have better life experiences because of his "yes's" to everything

I have to say.. I was stuck in a life situation that wasn't going anywhere.. so much resistance. It wasn't until I saw through that which was resisting.. naturally, acceptance arose by seeing through that which resisted.. My life situation changed only when the resistance dissolved. It really is miraculous in a way. And then this movie just so happened to come on shortly after.. I didn't even rent it or make any attempt to check this particular flick out.. just so happened that people close to me ordered it and I happened to be there at the moment to check it out.. it seemed some part of the flick mirrored my life situation. I don't know though. I'm just going with the flow. I have no idea what will happen in the future. But anyway, another funny part of the flick was when Carrey "serenaded" the suicidal man to step out of the ledge. Carrey sang the following lyrics that resonated with me "You could cut ties with all the lies that youve been living in..."

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:26 am

Great reminder, peleke4...

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:44 am

What about "Zen Noir"? Have only seen trailer....anyone seen it?

Nebula

Post by Nebula » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:01 pm

Un Buda
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMYnUAuJctk
That's a youtube trailer for the film, it's subtitled - amazing - I swa it at the Buddhist film festival at the Barbican.
"If it is the quality of your consciousness at this moment that determines the future, then what is it that determines the quality of your consciousness? Your degree of presence"

Nebula

Post by Nebula » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:02 pm

Oops it's not a trailer - it's part of the film....maybe someone's put the whole film in pieces on youtube - have a look anyway
"If it is the quality of your consciousness at this moment that determines the future, then what is it that determines the quality of your consciousness? Your degree of presence"

James

Post by James » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:00 am

I'll add: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, based on the short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald, It's a beautifully made film that provides a lot to reflect on. A fantasy story of a man that ages backwards, that challenges one's concepts of self, time and existence. What resonated with me most was the subtle message, be as you are, and that the self is always the self, regardless of time and appearance.

james
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

OnlyNow

Post by OnlyNow » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:17 pm

Don't some of the films listed fall into the made by pain bodies for pain bodies slot that et mentions?

I did rate the fight club though, brutal but significant
When the Pupil is ready the Master appears

SatisfiedOne

Post by SatisfiedOne » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:40 am

The Man from Earth (based on premise that a man has lived since prehistory and the span of humanity) Brilliant dialogue.

American Beauty --my favorite of all time