Movies Concerning Awakening

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.
snowheight

Re: Movies Concerning Awakening

Post by snowheight » Sun May 01, 2011 10:22 am

Natalie wrote:Thanks for the recommendation. Just saw “Stone” by Robert DeNiro and Edward Norton. Great movie about the process of awakening precipitated by extreme suffering. Loved watching Norton failed miserably at explaining what was happening to him. Nice to see DeNiro making these types of movies.
Best lines of the movie by far were Norton's (this is from rough memory):

"oh I know what you're feeling and I'm pulling for you buddy! .. Just let it go ... let it all go ... just burn it all down to the ground ... let it all go up in smoke ... you have NO idea of the freedom on the other side ..."

It surprised me when they expressed that literally ...
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

Natalie

Post by Natalie » Sun May 01, 2011 4:46 pm

Yes snowheight. I remember gasping when I heard that line. Norton is such a gifted actor. His transformation was amazing………not only the physical part, but his demeanor and mannerisms as well.

I am not sure what Norton meant when he referred to his girlfriend as ‘alien’ twice during the movie. Do you think he was referring to the apparent depth of her unconsciousness? Was she really unconscious? Her performance threw me off more than once, although it kept my hubby glued to the screen…. :lol:

It was comically painful to see DeNiro and his wife immersed in the bible while gulping down glasses of that shiny brown liquor they loved so much. I was sooo happy for them when their world came crashing down. I remember ‘witnessing’ this happiness and asking myself ‘who is witnessing the witnessing of the happiness? Hahahah … I think Kutso and a few others here are responsible for that one :D

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Mon May 02, 2011 4:46 am

Natalie wrote: I am not sure what Norton meant when he referred to his girlfriend as ‘alien’ twice during the movie. Do you think he was referring to the apparent depth of her unconsciousness? Was she really unconscious? Her performance threw me off more than once, although it kept my hubby glued to the screen…. :lol:
Mila's character represented the chaotic forces of nature. She was written not just as some accessory to demonstrate unconscious action .. quite the contrary ... she is not driven by desire, she simply channels what comes naturally, without malice and without remorse .... think of the scene on the highway ... the dilapidation of her car was such a great detail, a woman like that only lives outside of luxury based on a lack of fear and ego.

So now you can watch the film again like watching Willis in "Sixth Sense" ... what is her motivation for doing the things she does to help Norton?

Funny thing about Kutso, he has this gift that he keeps on giving, but no matter how much of it he gives he never runs out of it.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

bbb9705

Post by bbb9705 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:46 am

Maybe it's already been mentioned, but I thought "Phenomenon" with Travolta was pretty good

WhatisMu

Post by WhatisMu » Fri May 06, 2011 9:43 pm

The Big Kahuna

I Heart Huckabees

Groundhog Day

Fight Club

Big Fish

American Beauty

Planes Trains and Automobiles

Donnie Darko

There are others, but in my opinion these all have elements of awakening in them or are just plain about awakening. I dearly love that two of them appear to be simple little comedies and yet have so much to offer! Cheers!
“In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't try to control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present.”
- Tao Te Ching

walken

Post by walken » Fri May 06, 2011 10:25 pm

My favs are: The Matrix, I Heart Huckabees, Fight Club, and The Truman Show

arel

Post by arel » Sun May 08, 2011 12:47 am

TV show: "Minute to Win"
What I say is only my viewpoint.

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Sun May 08, 2011 1:19 pm

walken wrote:My favs are: The Matrix, I Heart Huckabees, Fight Club, and The Truman Show
Yeah the matrix is just so literal ... gotta love that. The shock value of that scene where he "wakes up" is just too precious. Lot's of posts on here about the "Red or the Blue" pill ... and then Joey Pants ... :lol: "not someone too important ... like an Actor" ... the recursive reference at its finest!

There is a thread here somewhere discussing the conversation between Hoffman and Schwartzman with the sheet and how Physics echo's the pointer of Oneness from spirituality.

I've seen snippets from the other two on cable in the past few years and it's wonderful to recognize now what I only absorbed when I first saw them.

jamestown0101

Re:

Post by jamestown0101 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:57 pm

Triple T wrote:I haven't seen The Razor's Edge or Vanilla Sky yet but I thought The Matrix was incredible in that regard.
The most recent movie for me is I Heart Huckabees....
With the wonderful question -
"How am I not myself?" :)
Waking life is another interesting one. Tron Legacy too was pretty cool in that regard. Sort of off the mark a bit but, cool. Yes, I would agree, Matrix is pretty spectacular especially the first one. The others seem to lose their way. lol

WhatisMu

Post by WhatisMu » Tue May 24, 2011 5:39 pm

Curious if anyone else here has seen Donnie Darko & what you thought?

"Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?" LOLz!
“In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't try to control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present.”
- Tao Te Ching

walken

Post by walken » Tue May 24, 2011 6:29 pm

Great movie. Cool review on David Scoma's site: http://justperception.net/archives/450
"When it comes to truth realization, Donnie Darko is the greatest motion picture ever made..."

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:18 am

The Living Matrix Movie: Looks at the living Holographic information matrix. Featuring geneticists, scientists and switching between stories of people healed and scientific studies.

Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne-I7JTX ... r_embedded

Website

http://www.livingmatrixshop.com/

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:16 pm

Has anyone seen the documentary "Enlighten Up?". It's available on Netflix instant. Its an often hilarious account of a documentary producer who uses a journalist who decides to see if Yoga can lead to spiritual awakening. First he tries all the yoga 'masters' in the west and then he ends up in India and there are some interesting interviews with yoga gurus like BKS Iyengar and some others who do Bhakti yoga. Its fun to watch, but I found that spiritual awakening is discussed at a pretty shallow level. All the 'authentic' gurus are clearly pointing to non-duality, but that is not explored by the director as in the depth as it could have been. Still, I found it mildly entertaining and worth a watch.

WhatisMu

Post by WhatisMu » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:08 pm

runstrails wrote:Has anyone seen the documentary "Enlighten Up?". It's available on Netflix instant. Its an often hilarious account of a documentary producer who uses a journalist who decides to see if Yoga can lead to spiritual awakening. First he tries all the yoga 'masters' in the west and then he ends up in India and there are some interesting interviews with yoga gurus like BKS Iyengar and some others who do Bhakti yoga. Its fun to watch, but I found that spiritual awakening is discussed at a pretty shallow level. All the 'authentic' gurus are clearly pointing to non-duality, but that is not explored by the director as in the depth as it could have been. Still, I found it mildly entertaining and worth a watch.
I watched it, and agree with what you shared. To me, the most important realization of the entire film was when Kate says that she should have done the documentary about herself and given all of these experiences to herself instead of making it about the young skeptical man.

I'd love to meet Noman Allen.
- Tao Te Ching

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:56 pm

Its fun to watch, but I found that spiritual awakening is discussed at a pretty shallow level.

I watched it too, and I agree with your assessment.
All the 'authentic' gurus are clearly pointing to non-duality, but that is not explored by the director as in the depth as it could have been. Still, I found it mildly entertaining and worth a watch.
I get the sense that most people have no idea what enlightenment is all about, and those on a "spiritual path" have some very strange or nebulous ideas of what it is, so those who use it to find their "higher Self" appear almost comical. I have no doubt that hatha yoga has many health benefits, but it seems most people have no knowledge or understanding of the deeper truth behind it and get sidetracked by the poses.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.