Movies Concerning Awakening

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.

Re: Movies Concerning Awakening

Postby Pezerinno » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:57 pm

"Before Sunrise" and "Before Sunset" loosely touch on similar themes and are both very enjoyable films in my opinion.
Pezerinno

Postby BJA28 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:20 pm

Haven't had time to look through the entire thread yet so I don't know if anyone's mentioned the movie WHAT ABOUT BOB?.
BJA28

Postby BJA28 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:54 pm

I wanted to share this old Goofy cartoon. ET gave an explanation of how some people are when they are behind the wheel of a car. And in a way, I think this shows some spirituality - how a person may seem so nice, but when they get into a certain situation they become someone else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZAZ_xu0DCg
BJA28

Postby snowheight » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:31 pm

I recommend The Lie. The title, in itself, is somewhat deceptive. :D

Beware of the self-effacing ear worm contained therein.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Postby smiileyjen101 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:11 pm

Source Code a philosophical sci fi

A good one for pondering 'reality', consciousness, what is it we notice, do overs, multiple dimensions/universes etc

The main plot is interesting and well acted, but also interesting as a sub plot (not sure if it was intentional or not) is to watch the fear - love motivating energies and the differences in expression and in action. For me I think I want to watch it lots of times to see how this element has been written/directed and nuanced.

On levels and levels it's a journey, with surprising growth and learning, hopefully for viewer as well as the characters.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby BJA28 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:56 pm

One of my other favorite movies is Cast Away. The film itself can be interpreted in many different ways by a lot of people. So, there are many ways of looking at it and I think a lot of them applies.

To me, Cast Away is about a lot of things too - love...change...willpower...independency...companionship (but this is debatable as "Wilson" the volleyball could be that Hanks' character feels lonely and uses this object as companionship, but it could also be a reflection of his consciousness...again, however you want to look at it, that's my personal view). I don't feel like getting into the whole thing right now, but that's just it, in a nutshell.
BJA28

Postby BJA28 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:47 pm

Just started watching this recent movie called 'We Bought A Zoo', and already I noticed a lot of suffering some of the characters go through. But it's not a grim suffering as portrayed on-screen, more comical-like. Infact, I find myself laughing at times when I see it. Nice film so far.
BJA28

Postby BJA28 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:52 am

The Bicentennial Man

Just recently seen it again and I admit that I teared up. If you haven't seen this movie yet, I highly recommend seeing it. So powerful if you can see the message.

"Welcome to the human condition."
BJA28

Postby Golf » Thu May 17, 2012 2:21 pm

Two recently seen movies:

Carnage
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1692486/
Two kids argue and one whacks the other in the teeth with a stick. Afterwards, four egoic entities inhabiting their parent's bodies meet in an appartment to "settle" the affair. There ensues a "carnage" of tragi-comical proportions. Really funny to watch, and showing clearly how silly people can be! I thought Jodie Foster was simply great when she puts on the forced grin with a cramped look in the face, when she's trying to force her opinion without being rude :mrgreen:

Ostrov (Island)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0851577/
An utterly mystical movie... A Russian ship in the White sea gets boarded by Germans in WW2, they put a sailor in an impossible situation there, the ship sinks and he gets washed ashore and found by some Orthodox monks from a small monastery on an island.
30 years later he's an old man who shovels coal at the monastery. Monks still don't know what to do with him. Local people come to him for advice and healing. He uses extremely unorthodox methods to expose his brethren and locals to their selfishness and plain silliness. All this time he is wracked by guilt from the incident in the war.

I don't know what to think of it yet. He's so burdened with past that he suffers. Yet he's so wise that he sees everything in his neighbors. He prays to God with such utter abandonment, reverence and humility. Watching it just leaves me in awe without commentary.
And the setting of the movie itself... just watch the sea, the snow, the ice, hear the wind, the solitude... pure stillness.
"If you're so smart, how come you're working at a gas station?"
-"It's a service station. We offer service, there is no higher purpose."
8)
Golf

Postby smiileyjen101 » Fri May 18, 2012 2:45 am

One of my other favorite movies is Cast Away. The film itself can be interpreted in many different ways by a lot of people. So, there are many ways of looking at it and I think a lot of them applies.

BJA Castaway is an interesting one, one of those ones you wonder what you would do in the situation.
One funny flaw in such an 'intelligent' and resourceful character kind of reminds me a lot of folks using a sledgehammer to smash a toothpick (over dramatising) - when he's trying to light fire till his hands bleed... he has a torch, the torch has a lens.. any lens with sun beaming through it filters intense heat... heat + fuel + oxygen = fire.
Of course, he 'may' have burnt his fingers if he didn't have something to hold it with :wink:
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Life: TV show

Postby runstrails » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:41 am

Has anyone else seen LIFE (its an american TV show starring Damien Lewis). I just saw the pilot episode on Netflix instant. Its about this cop whose discovered zen and uses it in his work. It can be hilarious as no one else understands him trying to be 'present' or 'in the now'. He often says things like: "you don't have to understand here to be here" and his partner looks at his quizzically. Or when he said, "its all connected" and indeed it was in that episode! Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing more. And Damien Lewis is terrific, of course. It's on Netflix instant and DVD.
runstrails

Postby Webwanderer » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:16 pm

The first few shows of Life were fun to watch. Unfortunately they seemed to loose their consciousness edge after awhile.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby karmarider » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:12 am

Cloud Atlas is a movie about interconnectedness. It's an entertaining movie, and though it's not as captivating as the Matrix (the same people made it), it's still pretty good.
karmarider

Postby karmarider » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:07 am

The movie "Flight" with Denzel Washington is an excellent movie about surrender.
karmarider

Postby Natalie » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:05 am

Just came back from watching Flight. Excellent movie. Talk about a moment of clarity. Also saw Cloud Atlas last week and yes, I found it highly entertaining and a little confusing.

The documentary Encounters at the End of the World is amazing. Here is a preview. They have it on Netflix and CinemaNow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heHiQFEl ... re=related

Natalie
Natalie

PreviousNext

Return to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization