Movies Concerning Awakening

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.
sweet inspiration

Re: Movies Concerning Awakening

Post by sweet inspiration » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:29 pm

smart people

blink2337

Post by blink2337 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:06 pm

This isn't a movie, but it's a song--sorry for straying from the topic:)

Lily Allen's The Fear is a song about awakening. If I am not my things and this concept of who I should be, then who am I?

highlife66

Post by highlife66 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:55 am

Edit: Thanks Ananda for finding this thread for me... :D

Hi folks,
I looked here for a while for a previous thread on spirituality in movies but couldn't find it so I'll post a new topic...

I recently re-watched "Total Recall" starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and (although I didn't remember the acting being so awful :lol: ) there is a scene in the beginning where Arnold's character (Quaid) is being pitched a virtual vacation (memories are implanted in the brain).

Bob McClane: What is it that is exactly the same about every single vacation you have ever taken?
Douglas Quaid: I give up.
Bob McClane: You! You're the same. No matter where you go, there you are. It's always the same old you. Let me suggest that you take a vacation from yourself. I-I know it sounds wild. It is the latest thing in travel. We call it the Ego Trip. You're gonna love this, Doug. We offer you a choice of alternate identities during your trip. Why go to Mars as a tourist when you can go as a playboy... or a famous jock or--

I thought to myself "whoa bro", I felt like Eckhart and Adyashanti were both looking at me and each winking...

Jeff
Do not seek after what you yearn for, seek the source of the yearning itself.

SirNikalot

Post by SirNikalot » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:19 pm

"The Truman Show"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the longest time that movie was one of my favorite movies of all time, and I didn't know why. But after reading some Tolle and Listening to some Adyashanti, I came to the conclusion that its within our nature to seek truth and become in touch with reality. In the end Truman (Jim Carry) finds the truth and he has the option between choosing a fake happy fantasy, or choosing the unknown, and waddya know? He chooses the unknown, which is reality, not fantasy.

sweet inspiration

Post by sweet inspiration » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:38 am

Jason Bourne - in the Bourne Trilogy - could qualify as a guy who lives in the moment

Plorel

Post by Plorel » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:12 pm

What defenitively qualifies is the new movie "Avatar". Its about a folk, the Navi, who really live in alignment with life and nature but are threatend by humans who (surprise) ruthlessly try to assert the economical interests.
One of the best cine film I have seen in years, beautifully made with a good message.
If you want to watch it, I recommend the 3D-version.
Who am I without my story?

steph H

Post by steph H » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:41 am

YES!!! Avatar definitely qualifies! I was just about to write that on this thread but you beat me to it!
fantastic movie! absolutely amazing :)

mukau

Post by mukau » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:38 am

I hated 'What the bleep...' and 'The Secret'. I there's something about them that puts me off, like something poisonous. I can't define it more than that. I just avoid. On the other hand, I think 'Groundhog Day' is a great spiritual film.. as is 'The Truman Show.

I was really surprised by 'Avatar'. It really moved me (I had expected not to like it). It felt like it taps into something bigger and more powerful than the clumsy script or cinematic gestures ought to allow. Worth seeing

highlife66

Post by highlife66 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:16 am

I really liked Avatar although it reminded me of "Dances with Wolves". Very similar storyline. Leap the movie was really cool too, watched that about 3 times...
Do not seek after what you yearn for, seek the source of the yearning itself.

RighteousLover

Post by RighteousLover » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:50 am

Life as A House

I highly recommend it with all my heart. This probably will change some peoples lives, to appreciate it more. It has so many themes about, leaving things as they are, loving things as they are, true love, not the selfish kind, and much more. You will defiantly like it. It will make you feel powerful, weak, peaceful, sad, all in one. Its a very emotional movie, with a very big gift.

"There is never a dull moment. Although it does not have war planes crashing at every second, it still keeps your attention. "

"You will cry. No way around it. This is a heart-wrenching and heart warming movie.

It is about family, the value of life, the quality of life, correcting the past, facing the future, breaking down barriers, showing love and accepting love (which is often the hardest thing to do), all symbolized through the the building of a house. Fathers, sons, mothers, daughters all bravely striving for love and redemption under time limited circumstances.

Although the film is heavy in its emotional themes, it triumphantly uplifts and focuses on the things we should appreciate as human beings. This film is in no way contrite. It is raw in its portrayal of vulnerability. You will never forget this movie.

The cast is superb. Kevin Kline is amazing as is Hayden Christensen.

This is a real gem, a movie of depth and meaning."
As one reviewer puts it, therefore it is a true movie.

Don't take my word for it though, watch it yourself.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... C/bookrags

100 % percent recommend. This is probably my favorite movie.
You won't regret watching it. It changed my life a long time ago as I felt like the main actor one time and I am very grateful I watched the movie and learned from it. Its time to pass it one.

jackh

Post by jackh » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:42 pm

RighteousLover, I thought at first that this movie critic quote you posted was actually from the movie itself, because it applies beautifully to real life as well!

"There is never a dull moment. Although it does not have war planes crashing at every second, it still keeps your attention."

:D

RighteousLover

Post by RighteousLover » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:58 am

lol it could be applied to real life now that I think about it
jackh wrote:RighteousLover, I thought at first that this movie critic quote you posted was actually from the movie itself, because it applies beautifully to real life as well!

"There is never a dull moment. Although it does not have war planes crashing at every second, it still keeps your attention."

:D

Nobody

Post by Nobody » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:35 am

Haven't seen Avatar yet, but just re-watched Groundhog Day -- definitely a favorite!

"I've killed myself so many times I don't exist anymore!"

:lol:
I'm nobody! Who are you?
Are you nobody, too?

Emily Dickenson

kiki

Post by kiki » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:20 am

just re-watched Groundhog Day -- definitely a favorite!
A favorite of mine, too.
"I've killed myself so many times I don't exist anymore!"
That's a great quote.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

sweet inspiration

Post by sweet inspiration » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:13 pm

not a movie but a short story - pretty cool

http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html