Movies Concerning Awakening

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.
runstrails

Re: Movies Concerning Awakening

Post by runstrails » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:49 am

Kiki wrote:
I have no doubt that hatha yoga has many health benefits, but it seems most people have no knowledge or understanding of the deeper truth behind it
Exactly! And this documentary the missed opportunity to explore that. They were interviewing all these yoga masters and guru's (all the way in India) and because the movie makers had no idea of what enlightenment is about, they missed the opportunity to explore it in any depth.
For example, when BKS Iyengar said (something to the effect of), "Yoga can lead you to two paths: It can liberate you or it allow you to live a healthy life"--they should have followed up with "what did he mean by liberation"? Real lost opportunity here.

Salem

Post by Salem » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:44 am

What are some of the meanings behind hatha Yoga that are so meaningful that is lost on people, Kiki?

I'm a little surprised that no one has really mentioned the films of Terrence Malick. Someone did list "The Thin Red Line" but didn't go into it. However, there's a character named Witt in that movie who certainly is in touch with a peace in him, moves from a place of presence most of the time, and has a joy in him that shines out, even in the middle of a battlefield. The whole movie has a real spiritual feel to it, as do all of Malick's movies that I've seen. He has a new one out now called "The Tree of Life" that also seems to be very spiritual.

Also, this has been bugging me on this thread: It's "Forrest Gump" with two r's! :-P
"The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love." — Meister Eckhart

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:47 pm

Salem,
Here is a thread on yoga that you might find informative:
http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... oga#p53705

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:26 pm

Also, this has been bugging me on this thread: It's "Forrest Gump" with two r's!
:oops: That would likely be 'me' messing that up, going with my more ala naturale leaning word picture associating ... can you see the Forest for the trees? :lol:
Could be worse I could still be calling him Worzel Gumple (as I was whenever I couldn't remember his name at all.. felt right and everyone around me knew who I was talking about :lol: )

Apologies to your sensitivities Salem... ummm I think I probably misspelled it in the 'and other laws' thread too, can't guarantee it won't happen again.

My gift to you - Picture - Monk in a long robe, kneeling in obedience, solemn head bowed in meekness, hands clasped reverently, and from under the hood a soft, strong voice... "Forgive me now. For tomorrow I may not give a damn".
:shock:
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com

Salem

Post by Salem » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 am

Haha, forgiven!

But don't worry, Jen. It wasn't just you; I think it was misspelled every time in this thread. :twisted:
"The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love." — Meister Eckhart

hemanth

Post by hemanth » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:36 pm

Pay Check is also one of good movie to realize why we do/are something for which we don't know the reason.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:51 pm

"Quantum Activist" with Amit Goswami (2009). Absolutely on point with nonduality - Goswami was a quantum physicist for many years before embracing a more radical, spiritual view that "Nonlocal Consciousness is the ground of being." Available on straming Netflix and not to heavy with deep science. Excellent!!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

EternalPrize

Post by EternalPrize » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:50 am

Someone may have already mentioned it, but The Truman Show seems to contain some enlightened material, even if its not specifically about it. In fact, I think most of these movies are probably just channeling eastern philosophy rather than specifically being about enlightenment.

In The Truman Show they interview the director and ask him "Why do you think Truman has never come close to discovering the true nature of his world."

The Director replies "We accept the reality of the world with which we're presented. It's as simple as that. He can leave at any time. If his was more than just a vague ambition, if he was absolutely determined to discover the truth, there's no way we could prevent him."

Powerful words.

Natalie

Post by Natalie » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:07 pm

I think all you Matrix’s fans are going to enjoy this video.
Awakening, Enlightenment, Truth, Love, nirvana, samsara, free will, determinism, causality, nature of reality, etc, etc are all discussed here as they relate to the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q1jHx29 ... re=related

unbornawakened

Post by unbornawakened » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:00 am

John Carpenter's "They Live" (available on Netflix streaming)

In this consumer culture parody, professional wrestler "Rowdy" Roddy Piper plays an unemployed working stiff who inadvertently finds a pair of sunglasses that allow him to see the world as it truly is. Billboards carry subliminal messages such as "Submit to Authority," and yuppies are actually aliens who are bent on subduing the human race. Before you can say, "Die, yuppie scum!" Piper grabs a gun and starts blasting.

abc123

Post by abc123 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:04 am

Listen, smile, interact and grow. We are learning in a toddlers playground.

Robert_the_Bruce

Post by Robert_the_Bruce » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:01 pm

The Celestine Prophecy movie.

Just caught this one by chance, thought it was interesting. There are no prophecies as such, just a story, but it fits the thread.

rontant

Post by rontant » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:41 am

The Departures ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1069238/)

I think this is a movie that Eckhart Tolle would love even though I am not sure if you can call it "awekening", but it surely carries a message about "surrendering to what-is" and "acceptance". When one surrender to what-is and accept what life brings, peace and ... "finesse" are what you would get.

I highly recommend this movie.

HowToKnowGod

Post by HowToKnowGod » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:07 pm

I watched both Powder and Clifford, movies suggested on this list.

I enjoyed both, but didn't understand why someone would suggest them here.

I guess we're sort of talking about seeing things differently, and these two movies were about boys who were social outcasts, who saw things differently.

Other than that, I don''t really see much.

vera

Post by vera » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:15 pm

Not concerning awakening specifically, but Wings of Desire has some glorious quotes about the experience of being human and the questions that arise about our existence:

"When the child was a child, it was the time of these questions. Why am I me, and why not you? Why am I here, and why not there? When did time begin, and where does space end? Isn't life under the sun just a dream? Isn't what I see, hear, and smell just the mirage of a world before the world? Does evil actually exist, and are there people who are really evil? How can it be that I, who am I, wasn't before I was, and that sometime I, the one I am, no longer will be the one I am? "

And this incredible scene:

The Dying Man: [thinking to himself while lying on the side of a road after a motorcycle accident] You never saw anyone die? I stink of gasoline. I saw it all clearly - the Mercedes, the pool of oil. Karin, I should have told you. It can't be that simple. I've still so much to do.

Damiel: [Damiel places his hands on the Dying Man's head] As I came up the mountain, out of the misty valley into the sun. The fire on the cattle range, the potatoes in the ashes, the boathouse floating in the lake. The Southern Cross.

The Dying Man [slowly begins to speak Damiel's thoughts out loud. They speak together at first. Then, Damiel walks away, and only the Dying Man speaks]:

The Far East. The Great North. The Wild West. The Great Bear Lake. Tristan da Cunha. The Mississippi Delta. Stromboli. The old houses of Charlottenburg. Albert Camus. The morning light. The child's eyes. The swim in the waterfall. The spots of the first drops of rain. The sun. The bread and wine. Hopping. Easter. The veins of leaves. The blowing grass. The color of stones. The pebbles on the stream's bed. The white tablecloth outdoors. The dream of the house in the house. The dear one asleep in the next room. The peaceful Sundays. The horizon. The light from the room in the garden. The night flight. Riding a bicycle with no hands. The beautiful stranger. My father. My mother. My wife. My child.