Movies Concerning Awakening

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.
Linda

film recommendation

Post by Linda » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:12 am

Just released, Anthony Hopkins stars in "The World Fastest Indian"...a true story that illustrates the incredible flow of living in the now. It's a charming story, too. (And by the way, "Indian" refers to the motorcycle...)

InviktuS

Post by InviktuS » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:35 pm

Marmarlade - I had the same reaction to Vanilla Sky, It welled up inside me out of no-where.. took me completely by surprise.. I wondered what the hell was wrong with me but that thought was quickly drowned out by the sense of something I never really 'understood'.

Movies that have stuck a similar chord for me were "American Beauty" with Kevin Spacey, "K-Pax" also with Kevin Spacey and "What dreams may come" with Robbin Williams.

K-Pax and What dreams may come both reduced me to tears. I still cant really say why, I just found these movies to be so full of beauty and on some level I felt there was a great truth being conveyed there.

I also loved fightclub and the matrix..

I watched american beauty when it first came out and even though I had no idea at the time why I liked it so much, I knew there was 'something' about it that spoke to me. I remember thinking as I heard two people leaving the cinema saying "what a load of crap/shit movie etc" that there are people in this world who simply wouldnt know the truth if they fell over it..I guess some people dont get 'those' kind of movies :D

-Cheers

Jono.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:43 am

I really liked the Shawshank Redemption. I thought it was wonderful how Tim Robbins. the main character learned to accept his predictment of being unjustly accused and locked away in prison, and through acceptance and surrender to what is, and empowered action, things eventually turned around.

dee

Post by dee » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:05 pm

Inquired in another thread about 'peaceful warrior', maybe its too new @ the moment.

Fact is, almost any situation can act as an awakener, tis nice though to see/feel the revelation in a film.

Many years ago the series with david carradine 'kung fu' had quite an effect on me

kiki

Post by kiki » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:15 pm

Many years ago the series with david carradine 'kung fu' had quite an effect on me
Ah yes, Grasshopper! For me as well.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:14 pm

One of my favorite Kung Fu episodes was where Grasshopper was receiving a lesson from his blind master (can't remember the masters name). Grasshopper was expressing his fear about jumping off a large boulder into a pond fearing he might hit a submerged rock and die. The master said he must jump without fear. Grasshopper, not understanding, asked how would that prevent him from dying?

Master retorted. "Without fear, death has no place to enter"!
Something about this just made my mind stop in awe.

Dorothy

Has anyone seen "Waking Life"??

Post by Dorothy » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:03 am

"Waking Life" woke me up! And, Jim, I also love "Groundhog Day." It gets better every time I watch it over again!

Dorothy
"There's no place like home"

Shaz

Post by Shaz » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:11 am

Egoicmidget wrote:Mine is "What the [bleep] do we know.

A movie that discusses quantum physics, the witness and the molecular structure of the brain and body.

The nature of being and existence and our connection ultimately to all there is.

I would love to hear the feed back of others who have seen it.

John

John
I saw the movie (What the Bleep) and loved it. In fact I purchased a copy, shared it with a couple of others, and still view it from time to time. I personally cannot see how quantum physics and spirituality can be seperated, but then that's just my opinion :roll: . I am looking forward to seeing "Down the Rabbit Hole".

I am not a Ramtha enthusiast. However, I respect the work of scientist such as Hawkings and many others.

A good comedy to see is "Monty Python's Meaning of Life"

Shaz

Shaz

Post by Shaz » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:19 am

Webwanderer

Kung Fu was also one of my favorite series on the tube back in the day. Also, the one that PBS ran with Carl Segan narrating, where he often used the word, BBBillions of galaxies :D .

Thanks for that lovely quote from the Kung Fu series.

Shaz

void

movies

Post by void » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:09 pm

"the game" with michael douglas. its very much a portrait of what breality can be like, m. douglas is a rich buisness man very shrewd and uncaring about others. his brother buys him a ticket for his birthday,,,, this ticket is for a game... what that game is he doesnt know until it takes over and nearly ruins his life! he doesnt get what he wants, but exactly what he needs, and is finally grateful when he sees what it was all about.... wont tell you anymore ...well recommended
j.gibirdi

Nebula

Re: Movies Concerning Awakening

Post by Nebula » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:32 pm

A slightly cheesy film I liked ~ with a rather tenuous "Awakening" theme, is Starman (with Jeff Bridges), it is a lovely film.
"If it is the quality of your consciousness at this moment that determines the future, then what is it that determines the quality of your consciousness? Your degree of presence"

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:47 pm

I liked Starman too. Also The way of the Peaceful Warrior. Not as good as the book, but better than I expected. My wife, not normally a fan of spiritual themes, liked it...
Be present, be pleasant.

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:24 am

This is such a great thread! I was thinking about this the other day. What should I rent?

I just made an alphabetical list to search my UVerse, so, I figured I'd post it here: Thanks! 8)

A Home At The End Of The World
Fierce Grace, by Ram Dass
Five People You Meet in Heaven" with Jon Voight
Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy
I Heart Huckabees
Kundun
La Vie de Budda
The Legend of Bagger Vance
'Man from LaMancha'
Meetings with remarkable men
Pleasantville
Powder
The Razor's Edge
Seven Years In Tibet and Little Buddha. Michael."
Siddhartha
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Waking Life

spikyface

Post by spikyface » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:57 am

Fight Club, without a doubt
Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering.
God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars.
Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.
We're the middle children of history, man.
No purpose or place.
We have no Great War.
No Great Depression.
Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives.
We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars.
But we won't.
And we're slowly learning that fact.
And we're very, very pissed off.
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within

goatboy

Post by goatboy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:02 am

forest gump, no ego