Releasing Control

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.

Re: Releasing Control

Postby erict » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:46 pm

I feel like there's just no way to figure it out; to understand it. I suppose it'll just make sense when it spontaneously becomes a part of my reality. If ever.

Maybe it's just about not trying so damn hard. Including not trying so hard to understand certain things.

I don't know. I'm really confused.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby heidi » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:55 pm

I think there's a big issue with the ego and surrender, because the ego really likes to think its in control when we all know that just isn't so. And we even enlist the ego to "do the right thing" with acceptance - or releasing control. All releasing control really is is simply allowing what is or as ET says, Saying yes to what is. So, it's actually so simple your ego wants to make a big conquest of it when in fact, there's nothing to fight, since what is is what is.
What it is :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby jackh » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:58 am

It is simply choosing not to change any aspect of the dream, and instead allowing it to be. If you are relaxed to the point of not constantly making decisions, as you say, to manipulate different aspects of experience, then there are moments when your resistance drops. Adyashanti defines ego as resistance to what is.

It is refusing to call any experience your enemy.
jackh

Postby enigma » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:00 am

It is simply choosing not to change any aspect of the dream, and instead allowing it to be.

Releasing control does not involve choosing at all. It's also not about not changing any aspect of the dream. If a meteor crashes into your house, I give you permission to try to change that aspect of the dream. ;)
Life calls on 'us' to respond appropriately to events. If the one who thinks he is in control will get out of the way, the appropriate thoughts and actions will follow without the need to either declare a choice to act or to declare a choice to allow it to be what it is. The idea is not for an imaginary person to make an imaginary nonvolitional choice, but rather that what you are withdraw it's identity from that which you imagine it to be, and leave it alone. It doesn't need 'your' help.
enigma

Postby Onceler » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:01 pm

enigma wrote:
It is simply choosing not to change any aspect of the dream, and instead allowing it to be.

Releasing control does not involve choosing at all. It's also not about not changing any aspect of the dream. If a meteor crashes into your house, I give you permission to try to change that aspect of the dream. ;)
Life calls on 'us' to respond appropriately to events. If the one who thinks he is in control will get out of the way, the appropriate thoughts and actions will follow without the need to either declare a choice to act or to declare a choice to allow it to be what it is. The idea is not for an imaginary person to make an imaginary nonvolitional choice, but rather that what you are withdraw it's identity from that which you imagine it to be, and leave it alone. It doesn't need 'your' help.

Yes, Egnima, I've noticed this.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Sighclone » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:30 am

If the one who thinks he is in control will get out of the way, the appropriate thoughts and actions will follow without the need to either declare a choice to act or to declare a choice to allow it to be what it is.

This is vital but not always obvious. I can wonder if this impulse to stay home today is coming from Source, or just laziness. The "cues" to action, or felt impulses to action can arise from the sneaky old ego also...and some egos have control of the autopilot switch. Perhaps over time, the absence of even the Self which observes the arising of impulses also dissolves, then we are like the sapling from p. 268 of ANE -- "Life...wants the sapling to become a tree, but...the sapling wants nothing for itself." I get too granular...'just go with the flow, Andy'...he lectures to himself :)

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby karmarider » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:26 am

Giving up control is not the same as giving up responsibility.

When you consider, giving up responsibility takes a lot of control. In giving up responsibility, you are controlling yourself to do things that don't come naturally. You are pitting one set of beliefs against another.

Many of these spiritual concepts--surrender (giving up control), acceptance, forgiveness, non-attachment--are difficult for to understand in the mind but in experience very natural.

Giving up control is surrender and we think surrender is a horrible word. In the dualistic mind, surrender is defeatist and irresponsible. It's ironic because we actually have a great deal experience with surrender. Most of us have surrendered to the egoic mind.

Giving up control is giving up the fantasy that the ego is wise guide.

My advice is to learn to release. When we can release hurtful emotions, it is a natural progression to release resistance to what is (acceptance) and to release the ego's drama (non-attachment) and to release cravings/aversions and when there is nothing left to release, that is surrender.
karmarider

Postby randomguy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:28 pm

When Adya says relinquish control, I take it as a message to heart to quietly cease (or more specifically become aware that there is already awareness of) the fabrication of control. It is noticed in mind that the feeling of control carries with it a necessary swelling of attachment to thought, particularly thoughts founded on the concept of time. The feeling also seems to require consistent attention to maintain it's momentum. It is like mind building it's own separate personal wave of imagination for the "me" to surf upon and enjoy and "do" (and suffer). With attention drifting away from this imaginary phenomenon it sort of just goes where all temporary perceptions go.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Postby kafi » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:29 pm

I love real-life stories about how the universe supports us once we ‘let go and let God ‘.

I came across these blog posts by Sherri Staples which are about letting go of controI:

Releasing the Tiller:
http://releasingthetiller.wordpress.com/2013/02/26/releasing-the-tiller-nuts-and-bolts/#more-918

The Steep Path beyond Fear:
http://releasingthetiller.wordpress.com/2013/06/01/the-steep-path-to-beyond-fear/#more-1011
kafi

Postby Sighclone » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:20 pm

Sherri seems to be a lovely person -- too bad she has stopped posting.

Thanks for the link and welcome to the forum!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Previous

Return to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization