Heart Sutra time!

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.
Mason

Heart Sutra time!

Post by Mason » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:00 am

I have to ask about the Heart Sutra. It really seems to be a colossus in spiritual circles. In my travels I have encountered book after book after book written on it's content. How do you guys feel that this sutra relates to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization?

http://www.dzogchen.org/chant/heartsutra.htm

Sighclone

Re: Heart Sutra time!

Post by Sighclone » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:07 am

On p.16 in ANE, Eckhart speaks highly of Dzogchen Buddhism. This excerpt might be an effective portal...I cannot comment on its authenticity.
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

moonmissy

Post by moonmissy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:57 am

I have grown up chanting the words of the heart sutra since I was six. Vietnam (where I came from) has a regular repetore of heart sutra chanting in all the Buddhist temple services. I memorized it for years without understanding what it talks about, it sounded like a real big riddle. But since PON.....I awaked to the heart sutra's profound spiritual truths.

The heart sutra describes the state of "no-self", heart of the universe and all that exists as infinity.

It becomes so simple when one understands that in non-dual vision, there are no concepts...nothing.

literly, the world we see is an illusion of our mind (ego), what is real cannot be seen with our eyes but with our spirit.
I found the heart sutra so beautiful in its description of the enternal reality of what "is". What is cannot be said...but can the writer can only say what is not "is". What is the true reality of the universe cannot be expressed in concepts or words (which are the things of forms, thoughts and henceforth ego).

You cannot understand the heart sutra without being awakened and experiencing the reality of the ultimate.

In a many words...the heart sutra talks about "nothing" but that "nothing" is so much of something, and that something makes up all of us, the galaxies and is divine, without form and yet so infinitely vast.

A futile attempt is that of trying to explain the heart sutra, like a man describing the grandeur of Rome to a boy who never know more than a farm....it's hard to imagine the grandeur of Rome when you're a farm boy with no picture books or TV.
Even with the aid of picture books or TV, what is shown is still not the experience of being in Rome.
Before and after there exist not one
Why attachments?

Mason

Post by Mason » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:44 am

Friends, these teachings are like thunder resounding through space and time down to this moment itself. ...Can you hear it?

moonmissy

Post by moonmissy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:24 am

Trying to explain that which cannot be explained by words....is like...the more you say...the further you are from the truth. More noise.
Before and after there exist not one
Why attachments?

Mason

Post by Mason » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:32 am

"The sutras in question are the entire universe, mountains, rivers, the great earth, plants, and trees; they are the self and others, taking meals, wearing clothes, confusion, and dignity. Following each of them and studying them, you will see an infinite number of unheard-of sutras appear before you." ~Dogen

When words fail us the moment speaks clearly. ...Can you hear it?