Path to Enlightement

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.
jojo316

Path to Enlightement

Post by jojo316 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:35 pm

What I am learning is that the path to enlightenment is a little bumpy. I have to say that most of Tolle's book is a whole lot of information that I have thought about in the past and just let go. Actually reading the words as if someone from outside of me is saying them to me pute them into perspective a little bit better. As it was stated in a different post:

"Over the years I have had awakening experiences, followed by periods of back peddling or resistance, but I always found myself coming back, as if the choice was not mine to make. I tried to get away but couldn't :>) I came back because I found nothing else to be satisfying. Without truth the world had an empty quality to it. In reality, where else is there to go? There are two choices, truth or dreams. Did you ever see the movie The Matrix? The line about taking the red pill or the blue pill? In the movie, one pill gave you reality the other kept you in the matrix, a dream world. Some people enjoyed the dream world and were not ready to give it up."

I have to say that living in the "dream world" seemed easier...that is until you truly take the time to read this book and get a new perspective on the inner-self, consciousness, and state of being. I only just started reading the book a few days ago. I have found myself feeling a sense of peace beginning to come over me as if I am accepting of this change. It is unlike any feeling I have ever had internally before. Why is it that we are so eager to tak the "path of least resistance (at least it seems that way)? When the true answer is to look within, find that peace and life just seems a little bit nicer....it is as if I awoke from th dream world to find that this is MUCH easier than expected.

I just want to state that this is fabulous forum and I am grateful I can come here for a little guidance and clrification on issues should I need a little help.

James

Re: Path to Enlightement

Post by James » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:27 pm

Hi Jojo316
Welcome to the forum. You said:
Why is it that we are so eager to tak the "path of least resistance (at least it seems that way)? When the true answer is to look within, find that peace and life just seems a little bit nicer....it is as if I awoke from th dream world to find that this is MUCH easier than expected.
We all ask those same questions, the how and why, for which there is no clear explanation. The more helpful questions are along the lines of: Am I interested in awakening now? Am I willing? As long as the dream seems pretty nice, most people won't be interested, that is just the way it is, or at least how it appears.

The word enlightenment is a slippery slope, it often denotes achievement or attainment, specialness, etc. A path can imply future, that you will arrive at a destination. I prefer the term awakening. Awakening is always by Grace, and it available to everyone and anyone that is willing. We can be awake now, if we choose, to the best of our capacity to open to it, and be fully present with what IS. and yet it seems we grow in Grace or Presence over time, quite a paradox.

Take it one moment at a time, and enjoy.

James
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."