Who here is fully enlightened?

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.
premiumphoto

Who here is fully enlightened?

Post by premiumphoto » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:11 am

I'm not trying to bait anyone. I am just curious. And is there anyone we know of that became enlightened (other than ET's partner) by reading and studying Eckhart?

Webwanderer

Re: Who here is fully enlightened?

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:51 am

One of the realizations of awakening is that enlightenment is best seen as a verb. To perceive one's state of consciousness as "fully" anything is to limit its further development. There is an evolution to the quality of being. Definitions and pronouncements of achievement are more likely to inhibit than to enhance. Awakening into clarity is an ongoing process whose end is unknown, at least from a human perspective. Explore consciousness and enjoy the unfolding mystery.

WW

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:16 am

I was about to write something really profound, but then I read WW's comments and realized that I had no more to say.

Thanks, WW,

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

premiumphoto

Post by premiumphoto » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:04 am

Ok. Let me rephrase. Who here has had an enlightening experience? The Buddha himself claimed he was enlightened so I don't think it would be a sign of ego to at least state if you have had an experience. I am wondering specifically if anyone has had an experience like enlightenment by the study of ET? I will admit to many, many, deeply profound (for me) "aha!" moments. And some realizations of the ego and being conscious of my unconsciousness and seeing myself as "other" than my unconsciousness or ego. And I have been able to watch my pain body as it gets it's feedings (or not). But nothing I would claim as an enlightenment in the traditional sense. I was very much in the sea of agnosticism before Tolle.

James

Post by James » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:25 pm

Tolle claims his awakening occurred when he woke up one morning and found he had dis-identified with mind and thinking, it was that simple; there were no trumpets, no angles or white lights, no earth moving mystical experiences. (Most of us have many concepts about what enlightenment entails.) He does speak of peace, inner connectedness to the world, a feeling of freedom and clarity, a natural state of being that is accessible to all.

For most of us that dis-identification with mind and alignment with our state of Being, won't come all at once, but rather in glimpses or stages, a gradual transition or shift of identity. And as WW said well, there seems to be no end to the unfolding of conscious awareness. Yet Tolle and others teach that awakening begins with the relinquishing of time (hence the quote used in my signature: "It takes no time to be who you are"). So the best advice is to live in the Now and in inner stillness; and experience that natural state of being, in which the mind stops using time to create illusions and obstructions, which obscure our true identity.

James
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:55 pm

pmp -

You might review some of the older posts in "Personal Experiences" - it's one of the general categories here.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:25 am

Occasionally I am enlighteded as I sit in deep awareness and peace. Check out Suzuki's, "Zen Mind Beginners Mind". He eloquently talks (the book is taken from his Dharma talks to students) about being enlightenment or "big mind" as you sit in zazen. In that moment, taking that form, absorbing into Big mind is enlightenment.

There is no seperation, no self in that timeless moment. Of course the rest of the time I am mostly a flailing ego puppet, but those moments, eternities really, simply get closer together until temperal time is squeezed out. It is the ending of time, time and time again.
Be present, be pleasant.

Anois

Post by Anois » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:43 am

I am.

freedom

Post by freedom » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:47 pm

We all are!

Just that most of us are totally mesmerised/transfixed with the mind and overlook the obvious.

How can we not be present?

How can we not be here now?

How can we not be pure unfiltered awareness?

it's funny really. Oh so much effort

Anois

Post by Anois » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:47 pm

Meant - I AM enlightened !

moonmissy

Post by moonmissy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:14 am

We're all already enlightened....we just don't know it :lol:
Before and after there exist not one
Why attachments?

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:41 pm

premiumphoto wrote:Ok. Let me rephrase....
I am enlightened (granted there is no "I" that is ever enlightened, but just answering although language is quite limited).

Awakening or realization occured while watching Eckhart's video "The Flower of Human Consciousness." I had been seeking and searching for over 13 years, but perhaps I was ripe and ready...for I felt 'presence' conveyed over video and it was like a small nudge and there was realization.

I would agree that it is not necessarily a sign of ego to state if you are enlightened or not...for as you mentioned, even the Buddha said he was awake and enlightened. There can be a stating of facts without ego.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

stephen F

Post by stephen F » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:22 am

I am fully enlightened, not me personally but speaking for this little kitten on my chest he seems fully enlightened as far as i can tell. He does not seem interested on talking about it and is more interested in biting my thumb. I may have been enlightened as a child, my kids were when they were little.
Behind the question, "who here is fully enlightened" seems to be the idea that well Eckhart has it but he can't give it to me or anyone else so what is the point? Does it not seem odd that there is this higher state called enlightenment and some lower state that is not as good and we can't be happy or be ourselves until we reach that state? This seems to be just another reason to look at our lives as not good enough and some future moment as being great, as Eckhart reminds us it is ego that looks for some better future and labels this moment as not good enough. Eckhart mentioned something about being in the now during orgasm, He said it not me. You could try that, like in the Woody Allen movie where he is in the future and gets stuck into the orgasmatron, something like that. Sounds like more fun than chanting or meditating all day. My opinion of Eckhart, and Byron Katie also, is that after much mental anguish the mind sort of blew a fuse and sort of shut down the ego, the voice in the head and for a time there was this bliss. Jill Taylor had a similar event but the fuse was a stroke. I have doubts that these people by what they say or do can do much to bring people "into the light", but who can say. For me the insights they have had from their experiences point me to a more peaceful here and now. Not bad for under a hundred bucks!

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:00 pm

Welcome Stephen F!! Thanks for joining and your two contributions so far. I like your concept of Eckhart and BK and others "rubbing off on me." (I paraphrase.) Getting stuck on his words is easy to do. He encourages a different kind of reading. kiki and I like "Stillness Speaks." It's full of little sound bites...one liners to meditate on.

Who knows what words will trigger what responses in what people. So he just trudges on, occasionally claiming that he speaks from Source. I happen to believe that is true. I also like your image of BK and ET's minds "blowing a fuse." We can appreciate that Jill Bolte Taylor's mind did that, from her stroke - we have physical evidence. And maybe if ET and BK were hooked up to a powerful EEG machine, we could see a "snap" in their stream of consciousness also.

Darn those kittens...what do they know? :)

Namaste, Andy

EvB

Post by EvB » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:01 am

This is a response to the original post: (The following are paraphrased teachings of Leonard Jacobson)...

Enlightenment is simply a state of no thought; whether it lasts 5 minutes or for two seconds. Whenever you come out of the mind into the present moment, you are enlightened; but only for as long as you remain present. The trouble is that you are only awake to the extent that the mind has the power to keep you out of Presence. In order to awaken and make a shift from living at the level of mind/ego to becoming fundamentally grounded in Presence, you must make the present moment your number one priority in life. You must demonstrate to your ego that you are the master and won't allow it to pull you out of Presence, or if it does to bring consciousness to how you are pulled out and bring yourself back to Presence. True Awakening is about integrating the enlightened state into your daily life.

In the following video of Leonard demonstrates being present.
Being Present
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arjmsHHyzF4