Define Enlightenment/Define Awakening

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.
dagobert

Re: Define Enlightenment/Define Awakening

Post by dagobert » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:55 am

Didn't expected more than that.

however - thank you :)

moonmissy

Post by moonmissy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:11 am

We always know the answers intutively deep down inside when we finish asking it.

The challenge is to accept the simplicity of the answer :)
Before and after there exist not one
Why attachments?

lestat

Post by lestat » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:24 am

I like that, Moonmissy. 8)

EvB

Post by EvB » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:15 am

Enlightenment is the state of Oneness which is who you truly are. Awakening is becoming aware of and coming into right relationship with the obstacles which keep you from experiencing this truth. Awakening is about breaking through your limitations and liberating yourself so you can be free to live in the world as a fully empowered, loving being.

Chronic

Post by Chronic » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:01 pm

Awkaening is finding out who you are

Imo it can only be who we really are, anything else is a passing state

domokato

Post by domokato » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:59 am

moonmissy wrote:We always know the answers intutively deep down inside when we finish asking it.

The challenge is to accept the simplicity of the answer :)
Haha, I've found myself formulating questions for this forum and then the answer just comes to me before I can post it. But sometimes I post it anyway to see what others have to say :)
~housecat

existinginthenow

Post by existinginthenow » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:51 pm

Hello all...

Here, I'll give a whack at it...

Enlightenment and awakening constitutes becoming aware of the truth that you are trying to or are in the process of awaken(ing) yourself.

You are becoming aware that the entire universe is conspiring to communicate with you and show you, that you are in fact, itself, the universe. Message received and understood hopefully.

So in a way, enlightenment is when you get your own message... that tells you that you are now aware of your true self which is all that is.

It may start with a book or something you see on tv, or a song... but somehow your own self connection to being (yourself) will connect either in this life situation or another or at the end of your physical existence. It's kind of a win-win situation.

I have noticed a pattern throughout my entire physical life... that my being (not my ego) trying to connect with me (the sleeping part of me) and let me know that to surrender to the now is the only way out and stop living in thought. Stop identifying with the noise in my head. I've done it and to be honest, it may be fleeting at first but after practice, it becomes an everyday miracle.
"You are here to enable the divine purpose of the universe to unfold."

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:57 pm

Good definition, existinginthenow, and welcome to the forum. Regardless of the definition, and there are other good ones here and elsewhere over the years, what is so impressive to me is that adjective Eckhart uses: "natural." If it is so natural, why is it so hard to recognize/realize? The answer, of course lies in the early strength and power of our genetic, family and cultural egoic conditioning. Even the Dzogchen Buddhists, who will raise a child from birth in the temple, fencounter great resistance to awakening and require much study of their young masters. So...natural, yes Eckhart, but hidden and elusive.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

James

Post by James » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:47 pm

Andy said:
If it is so natural, why is it so hard to recognize/realize?

I know there can be a lot conditioning and resistance that works against awakening, but Andy, perhaps you need to look at your expectations. What is it you may be hoping it will be like, heard it could be like, based on other ideas you have learned? What are you waiting for to happen? Forget all that.

What is that is present now? What is it that is Conscious reading these words? Isn't that sufficient realization for the moment? Keep recognizing and rest in the Presence that already is living as you, and let it unfold in its own way and time. Lose the idea of enlightenment found or gained in the future, that is the stumbling block. It will remain elusive as long as there is a quest to find it. Acknowledge and accept what already Is.

J
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

innerhike

Post by innerhike » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:01 am

Let it be. Whatever it is, let it be. Just be...

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:49 am

Thanks, everyone!

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

existinginthenow

Post by existinginthenow » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:20 am

James wrote:If it is so n Keep recognizing and rest in the Presence that already is living as you, and let it unfold in its own way and time. Lose the idea of enlightenment found or gained in the future, that is the stumbling block. It will remain elusive as long as there is a quest to find it.
I love this. You're right.

Enlightenment is happening now, it's not going to happen in the future.

Excellent!
"You are here to enable the divine purpose of the universe to unfold."

ca345

Post by ca345 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:13 pm

Awakening happens when there is a seeing through of the illusion of separate idenity or separate individuality. But seeing is not realizing. The mind chooses not accept this seeing as it conditioned to believes itself to be a separate entity. It cannot accept the annihilation of its idenity and struggles to prove itself as separte idenity in the wake of this seeing, which seems unrealistic. Awakening is not a permanent. Awakening can happen several time before final enlightenment which is permanent.

Enlightenment happens, when the mind finally surrenders to this seeing; it instanty realises that there is infact no separte self at all and its folly in trying to hold on to this illusion for so long. It experiences liberation, bliss and oness with everythong around and is truly enlightened. It stays in this state forever

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:47 pm

I am nothing.
I know nothing.
And yet...
There is Awareness - and Consciousness - and Experience.
The Miracle IS. :D
Peace

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:50 pm

ca345 wrote:Awakening happens when there is a seeing through of the illusion of separate idenity or separate individuality. But seeing is not realizing. The mind chooses not accept this seeing as it conditioned to believes itself to be a separate entity.
Great post, ca345!
I'm laughing at my mind, and my mind is laughing back saying I'm going crazy.
Man, what a ride...