I find myslef returning to negative thoughts.

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.
MikeC

I find myslef returning to negative thoughts.

Post by MikeC » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:05 am

Hi, I'm Mike, and am new here. I picked up A New Earth about six months ago, and am on the third read. The problem I am having, though, is that I find my mind returning to negative, "can't do" thoughts. I wan't to be awake, but my mind races and wanders. Any suggestions?

Webwanderer

Re: I find myslef returning to negative thoughts.

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:34 pm

Welcome to the forum MikeC. Good to have you stop in.

Recognize the distinction between silent presence and active thinking. Not so much the kind of thinking that is active problem solving, but the kind that spins, justifies and replays stories of events imagined and real. Sense this moment. Listen to the sounds, see the objects, feel the the texture of what is present without any attempt to define or label that which is in this moment's experience. Just get a sense of clear being with whatever is here.

The spinning of stories creates a sense of "me" that is separate from the reality of what's actually present - it's what fuels the "mego" All those justifications and recreations of events take us out of the genuine experience of what is now. Clarity is a wonderful word/pointer. It is a state free of mental content. Get a deeply personal feel for it.

Don't be to hard on yourself for falling out of presence and back into story land. Just recognize its occurance when you can and gently return to presence awareness. Make note of the slippage and drop it in mid thought. With recognition and experience of these me-storms they become easier to recognize and clear presence returns as your natural state. Be patient and never be harsh on yourself for losing clarity. That harshness is just more ego stuff holding on to its sense of reality. Let it go and rest in what you truly are - Awareness.

WW

Juno

Post by Juno » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:26 am

Hi MikeC, Welcome to this forum. I think you will find a lot of good people here.

Your post reminded me of a paticular negative thought form I use to have some years back. I had read about cyclical thought forms, the tapes running again and again in our head. I read that they can start out exactly with the same word every time (but not neccesarily) and I caught one and it never returned again. I was walking across my yard to got to work and I said to myself "I'm lonely, I'm sad" and boom! I saw it and with the seeing it just burned that tape up instantly. Maybe just by stopping it in it's tracks it can't get energy to really run just by realizing it's a tape. That being said don't be looking for it. Let it all come. No resistance. Be porous. Just notice, is all that's needed. No pressure, no forcing. Allow. Don't worry because it will reveal at the right moment and not before. Have you noticed that MikeC can't change much? What you really are does all the changing.
Don't pressure your self to be aware all the time, that's actually very un-natural, have you noticed? Spend time sensing stillness that's all around you and inside you even if you are moving or not. It's always there. Sense silence that's always there before, during or after a noise. Stay out of your head by putting awareness in your body while sensing. When you get lost in thought and when you come back to resting as Presence. Just say Thank you. I could have stayed lost in thought forever!
Ask yourself the question "What is it to allow everything to be?".............. It's not "I" allow everything to be, because that "I" is the one trying to control everything. It's What is it? That's an Adyashanti teaching that will transform guaranteed. I still have a particular thought form that has plagued me for quite a while and it seems just within the past couple of days it's letting up because I'm letting go more and more and that didn't come over night in this case. Looking back, the past year and a half has had major transformation thanks to clear teachers like Adyashanti and Eckhart Tolle and some others too.
Don't worry, really, really. Those can't do thoughts will go away. Keep it simple.
Monica
by thinking of something you create an entity and by thinking of nothing you create another. Let such erroneous thinking perish utterly, and then nothing will remain for you to go seeking!
Huang Po

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:21 pm

Welcome MikeC!!

What is actually hapening here is discovering a "sense of self", by feeling or intuiting it, which is independent of thought-forms. Independent of any thought forms, but rather like the screen of awareness onto which they thoughts emerge. You are not the egoic, thought conditioned "person" you could define in words like "I'm a guy who likes sports and books; I don't run very fast but I can climb well and I like to work hard; blue is my favorite color and I have a sister.......(etc.)" That simply describes the form through which a tiny sliver of Source views the world.

What is happening, though, is a gradual distancing from the thought forms. Don't expect it to happen overnight. You have been "Mike", just "Mike" for a long time. The simultaneous discovery that that identity is a false self, and that the "Real You" is infintely larger causes some "disorientation" for a while. It is not like you are lost, but more like learning to use a new compass which is three-dimensional, or perhaps, 'multi-dimensional."

Don't worry. If ET has been important enough for you to read three times, that spark of Source within you has been lit. Mike: it will never go out. It can only grow, and with that growth will come comfort, understanding, peace and joy, and lots better health and, believe it or not (at least for me) better memory!!

Nothing of your personality or ego is lost to you. It's just that those elements now become options for a deeper "chooser" to pick from. Your autopilot self is getting turned off. The first step seems to be the sense of being an observer, a witness. Later, the inherent duality of the "witness" will dissolve also. Finally, after some realizations have occurred, they will integrate throughout your heart and body. (I'm summarizing great sections of Adyashanti here.)

Eckhart is not the only nondualist. Please check out our section on other spiritual teachers here: http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... m.php?f=28 . Adyashanti, Ramana Maharshi, Nisargaddata Maharaj, Byron Katie and Loch Kelly are my favorites. Other members have their own favorites. Tim Conway at http://www.enlightened-spirituality.org/index.html is well-established also.

Learning a meditation technique is very useful for establishing Presence in your life. Adyashanti's "True Meditation" is a good source - also check out ETs website. An older CD "Gateways to Now" from Eckhart is popular also - available used on Amazon...

Welcome again, Mike.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:12 pm

Give the feeling of...exasperation, frustration, agitation or whatever is going on when you realise your mind has wandered love. It is impossible for any of those states to be loved and for them to remain as they are. they will always transform into the love that we bring to them. That's because of the two, the negative feelings and the love, only the love is real. That way these negativities can become an invitation for our greatest asset - our own awakened minds to arise and meet them in love. And that is a holy encounter.
Many a mickle muches a markle.

Dory701

Post by Dory701 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:59 pm

Webwanderer wrote:Welcome to the forum MikeC. Good to have you stop in.

Recognize the distinction between silent presence and active thinking. Not so much the kind of thinking that is active problem solving, but the kind that spins, justifies and replays stories of events imagined and real. Sense this moment. Listen to the sounds, see the objects, feel the the texture of what is present without any attempt to define or label that which is in this moment's experience. Just get a sense of clear being with whatever is here.

The spinning of stories creates a sense of "me" that is separate from the reality of what's actually present - it's what fuels the "mego" All those justifications and recreations of events take us out of the genuine experience of what is now. Clarity is a wonderful word/pointer. It is a state free of mental content. Get a deeply personal feel for it.

Don't be to hard on yourself for falling out of presence and back into story land. Just recognize its occurance when you can and gently return to presence awareness. Make note of the slippage and drop it in mid thought. With recognition and experience of these me-storms they become easier to recognize and clear presence returns as your natural state. Be patient and never be harsh on yourself for losing clarity. That harshness is just more ego stuff holding on to its sense of reality. Let it go and rest in what you truly are - Awareness.

WW
Oh that was perfect. Just what I needed to hear (read). I thank you for putting that in human to human terms. BTW, I'm new here, also, but skipped the whole "introduce yourself" thing. I thought maybe it was a trick! (oh, i'm no-body, thank you).

So glad I found this discussion group and this answer in particular.
Dory

Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:35 pm

Ace! I am very happy for you, and well done webby!
Many a mickle muches a markle.

kiki

Post by kiki » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:04 am

Welcome to the board, Dory. I'm glad you discovered our little corner of sanity and peace. Stay a while and refresh yourself.

Concerning your comment to Webwanderer:
Oh that was perfect.
Yes, he has a real gift for putting things in every day language that people can relate to. If you want to read more posts from him or any particular poster click on their name and follow the link.

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:59 am

Welcome Dory, I'm happy to have rang your bell. My friends Kiki and Larryfroot are too modest. We have a goodly number of clear perceiving participants and members here in our little forum community. Look around awhile and see for yourself. Your contributions and enquiries are welcome. It's all in the adventure of awakening and living consciously.

WW

Dory701

Post by Dory701 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:10 pm

Webwanderer wrote:Welcome Dory, I'm happy to have rang your bell. My friends Kiki and Larryfroot are too modest. We have a goodly number of clear perceiving participants and members here in our little forum community. Look around awhile and see for yourself. Your contributions and enquiries are welcome. It's all in the adventure of awakening and living consciously.

WW
Thank you and your friends for the welcome. I live in a community that doesn't make a lot of time for "seekers". I have been on my own for a while and am truly glad to have found a place for discussion and wisdom from those who have progressed in conciousness. There is much to read here and I'm hungrily clicking through. So great to have found you all! Thanks for being here.