Is This It?

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.
RCharles

Is This It?

Post by RCharles » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:52 pm

This morning's meditation brought me to a state that I can only describe as samahdi, bliss, or what Catholics call ecstasy. It was so beautiful, so perfect, that it was all I could do to drag myself away and start the day's activities. As I was driving to work, I remained somewhat in that state yet also managed to drive in what seemed like an effortless way. Even now, as I type this, I am still in a deep state of peace, though not blissful, as I was earlier.

While driving all I could think of is Ken Watanabe's haiku about the cherry blossoms in The Last Samurai, culminating in his death scene where he appears to reach satori and says, "...they are all...perfect!" That is how I felt, feel. It's all so perfect! I am even moved to joyful tears thinking about it now.

I don't know whether this state will stay with me, but this is the deepest experience I have had and the longest time it has stayed with me. It is very special and peaceful, yet so simple, and I am very grateful.

Charles
"They are all...perfect..." --Ken Watanabe, dying scene in the movie The Last Samurai

James

Re: Is This It?

Post by James » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:18 pm

That sounds great RCharles. Experiences like that may come and go. The key for me is not to hold onto them or try to recreate them, but continue to abide in Presence, or the true Self; and be open to the unfolding mystery. And when needed, combine that with inquiry into thoughts that, un-awaken.

james
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

RCharles

Post by RCharles » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:17 pm

Thanks, James! I recognize now that there is no disappearance of the "I" that many describe, so this is probably not a full enlightenment experience, but it feels as though I'm on the doorstep. The peace is incredible! I'm trying just to rest in it without clinging.

Charles
"They are all...perfect..." --Ken Watanabe, dying scene in the movie The Last Samurai

James

Post by James » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:33 pm

It sounds like a period of enlightenment, whether it is abiding or not, I guess you will find out in time. And yes it may deepen or evolve further.

But it sounds sufficient for now, so I would say enjoy it. Gratitude goes a long way.

james
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

Mesquared

Post by Mesquared » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:34 am

Well, I don't know if it's it, but it sounds like it. I'm glad for you, Charles. I enjoy background presence and lovely moments of pure presence throughout my day with my toddler. If that's anywhere near the peace you felt, oh, I just love hearing about it. I feel peace just hearing about yours! :)

heidi

Post by heidi » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:35 pm

Hi RCharles - How wonderful to experience the joy that is being! What James said about the clinging, and I will add that comparing it to other states and seeing it as "in the past" are simply little mind/ego things to create minor drama, goals or longing. Now, all you need to do is acknowledge and accept those mind/ego things as part of the whole picture, and know that that energy, that joyous presence is always there underneath all the other mind made stuff - always there now.
:)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Great experiences come and go...but if it was it, it would not go (for it never came either).
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:40 pm

How beautiful Charles. I think those cherry blossoms were a way of reminding you that the Beloved can never leave you, their scent is merely covered up.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:46 pm

RCharles:

That was then, this is now. :)

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

RCharles

Post by RCharles » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:57 am

Thank you all for some wonderful comments. I don't know what "it" is, but I can see now that remaining in the bliss I was in would be close to impossible while still going about my daily affairs. So now there is no longer bliss but still there is greater clarity and peace. I still have an I and an ego, so maybe that wasn't "it," but whatever it was/is, I am grateful for it. If there is more, it must be a joy that is beyond belief. :D

RCharles

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:47 pm

RCharles wrote:So now there is no longer bliss but still there is greater clarity and peace. I still have an I and an ego, so maybe that wasn't "it," but whatever it was/is, I am grateful for it. If there is more, it must be a joy that is beyond belief.
The concept or belief that your ego should disappear is incorrect...the ego will always remain as long as you are living in the world. For if someone called your name and you had no sense of "I"/ego, then you would not answer...that makes it difficult to interact with anyone or anything in the world.

Furthermore, there isn't a greater clarity and peace...there is just less mentation and "ego" obscuring what was always present. The deep clarity and peace...you are That.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

Tony-S-Ma

Post by Tony-S-Ma » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:27 pm

eputkonen wrote:
RCharles wrote:So now there is no longer bliss but still there is greater clarity and peace. I still have an I and an ego, so maybe that wasn't "it," but whatever it was/is, I am grateful for it. If there is more, it must be a joy that is beyond belief.
The concept or belief that your ego should disappear is incorrect...the ego will always remain as long as you are living in the world. For if someone called your name and you had no sense of "I"/ego, then you would not answer...that makes it difficult to interact with anyone or anything in the world.

Furthermore, there isn't a greater clarity and peace...there is just less mentation and "ego" obscuring what was always present. The deep clarity and peace...you are That.
Individual being is part of the Being. Ego or "the sense of individual 'I' " is a field effect that " an individual self is the source of individual being's experiences". The individual being is always be and the ego field effect will disappear when individual being is more identified with the Being. Just like childishness disappears when one becomes an adult.

RCharles

Post by RCharles » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:47 am

Thanks Eric and Tony for helping me understand the experience. :)

Charles

RCharles

Post by RCharles » Fri May 01, 2009 6:45 am

Had another experience along these same lines. As I was driving home today after a few minutes of meditation to clear my mind after work, it seemed as if "I" receded into the background somewhat, and my awareness was flooded with the overwhelming beauty and amazing complexity of the life going on around me. Again, it was intense enough to bring me close to tears of joy. Wonderful!

I think, thanks to Tony's and Eric's posts previously in this thread, I understand what is happening and am not so surprised by it. It seems more natural, and I just receive the experience peacefully and gratefully.

Charles

RCharles

Re: Is This It? -- This Really Was/Is It

Post by RCharles » Wed May 06, 2009 11:33 pm

Interesting how awakening happens, dawning on us a little at a time. For others it may be sudden. For me the experience was sudden, but the recognition of it is gradual.

At the time I had the experiences described under this topic, it was fairly earth-shattering, but I later returned to more or less normal consciousness, wondering what it was all about. Except that consciousness isn't quite normal anymore. I have a certainty of the perfect oneness of everything now that I didn't have before. Everything is perfect, just as it is, and I can accept it all and be at peace with it. Before I felt somewhat tentative. Now I'm certain. Before I sometimes had peace--maybe even much of the time--but now it's always available, even if I don't choose to dwell in it constantly.

What finally convinced me that these were awakening/enlightenment experiences was Adyashanti's talk on "Everyday Oneness" on his website. At between 8:30 and 9:30 minutes, he talks about moments of clarity when we see our absolute nature, and that recognition of it may come and go, but it doesn't come and go. It's always available, always who you truly are.

This exactly describes my experience. And it may describe experiences some of you have had as well. If so, I hope sharing my experience will help you recognize yours. I also hope some who have had this experience will share how it happened.

Adya's talk on this subject is probably the best I've ever heard on enlightenment, or at least, it was for me.

Charles

P.S. I should also add that I have no sense of having "arrived." I do not claim to be enlightened, just to have had an enlightening experience that shifted my perspective. For me, there is no destination, just life's continuing journey.