Spiritual Materialism

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.
Peaceman

Spiritual Materialism

Post by Peaceman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:47 am

While reading through above subject came across

If we become successful at maintaining our
self-consciousness through spiritual techniques, then genuine
spiritual development is highly unlikely. Our mental habits become
so strong as to be hard to penetrate. We may even go so far as to
achieve the totally demonic state of complete "Egohood."
from "Cutting through spiritual materialism"

Anyone care to comment on above or on subject itself please? I am new to this term.

kiki

Re: Spiritual Materialism

Post by kiki » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:55 am

One of the masks that ego dons is that of "spiritual aspirant". It accumulates techniques, practices, and rituals all in the name of "spiritual growth", and in so doing another layer gets added to ego. In other words, egohood becomes more dense and the likelihood of seeing/realizing reality diminishes.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:46 am

I like Leonard Jacobson's description of this: spiritualized ego.

One way we can avoid falling into this trap is decide to rely only on direct experience.

James

Post by James » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:43 pm

Good quote peaceman, never heard of the book until now.

I agree with Kiki's remarks. Awareness and Consciousness raising practices, and pursuits, although some may find them to be helpful, can be like a double edged sword. Especially when they don't get to the root of the problem, which is dissolving the imaginary separate sense of self. A more aware ego can sometimes be more trouble than one that's completely asleep.

This reminds me, there is a movie from 1992 called The Lawnmower Man, loosely based on a Stephen King story. It's about a slow witted man (he mows lawns for a living), that becomes involved in consciousness research. Through the miracle of science, and virtual reality, he takes on extreme mental powers, which then leads to delusions of grandeur and all kinds of trouble. It's a decent Sci Fi film. Here is the video trailer: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2360607257/

james
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:08 pm

There is nothing more about this subject apart from the the works of the person who coined the phrase!
Lawnmower man! Yes havoc?!! :lol: I cannot watch it. Why? I hate the look of the blonde guy!! :roll:
Last edited by Peaceman on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:13 pm

Spiritual materialism is a seeker and their teacher.