It's Simpler Than You Think

Forum rules
In this category please do not start new topics that aren't directly related to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization.

It's Simpler Than You Think

Postby kiki » Sat May 08, 2010 6:45 am

Sitting down now with eyes closed, resting comfortably and breathing easily, and there it is again in stark relief against the black background behind the eyelids: the arising of thoughts; dancing, twirling, changing thoughts, coming and going in a steady and persistent parade, banging their drums in a cacophonous din. There they are again, dipping into that old storehouse of memories, and pulling out familiar stories of past events and rushing towards thoughts of possible futures. There they are again, weaving together and creating something so familiar that a habit has been formed in the mind that they are “my” thoughts. “I” have been created again, me, kiki, and he is laying claim to those thoughts.

But the next thought arises and asks, “Is that really true? Is kiki really here?” So a thought comes, “Just where am I anyway? What am I really?” and a looking commences.

Yes, there is seeing of those old familiar thoughts, but where is this kiki character? Where am I?

I can’t find him, I can’t! I just can’t do it! I look and look, and nowhere is kiki found.

What is found when I look for “me”? Thoughts, just a series of thoughts and physical sensations. Many of those sensations have their own familiar stories behind them too – that ache in my knees, for example, is because of a sports injury 30 years ago – oh, there’s a good story about that injury, and it’s become a part of me that makes me “kiki”. That story gets played over and over when that pain comes around and “kiki” shows up every time. Faithful old dog, that kiki.

Kiki seems to like to come around when past events play in the mind, and that sports injury is a frequent reminder of kiki’s presence; kiki seems to come around when thoughts arise about what will happen tomorrow or next year; kiki seems to come around when thoughts of why and how stream through the mind, looking for answers, needing answers, desiring certainty about everything. Kiki seems to come around when analyzing situations, playing out different scenarios and looking for resolution to problems. Kiki seems to come around when interacting with other people and they draw out familiar stories we seem to share. Yes, kiki is around a lot whenever thoughts are here. Hmmmm, interesting!

In all of this, however, it is only a seeming kiki that appears, constructed out of those thoughts because an actual kiki cannot be located anywhere outside of those old familiar thoughts. Yet, there is something else present that is both connected to those thoughts and separate from them. Something so innocent, so silent, so unassuming that it is easily overlooked: a very simple and basic “knowingness”; an alertness to what is happening, an awareness and consciousness of all of those thoughts and sensations.

What the hell is that, anyway? Can I isolate whatever that is? And how would I do that? Can I take “some” of “that” and look at it? And “who” would look at it? And if I did “what” would be looking?

Gosh, this is getting a bit confusing! Oh, wait a minute – it’s happened again! Damn!!! THOUGHTS… thoughts about “how” flowing, demanding, hoping, wanting to be answered. Geeze, will it ever end?

OK now, let’s see … what happens when I sit a while and no longer have “my” hopes and desires acted upon, when I no longer analyze and grasp for an answer. Yes, there are those thoughts coming again, but let’s just let them pass on through to wherever expended thoughts go to. Let it all come and let it all go. Yes, that’s it.

What’s present when that is “done”? Ok, let’s see … thoughts coming, thoughts dissolving, and something else “seeing” that. “That” which sees seems pretty insubstantial, it cannot be grasped in any way yet it is here, it’s present. It’s right here, right now…

...Oh my gosh. IT’S STILL HERE!!! THOUGHTS STOPPED, YET IT’S STILL HERE. THERE IS SILENCE, STILLNESS, “KNOWINGNESS”, EXISTENCE, EVEN WHEN THOUGHTS ARE GONE! AMAZING! THERE IS EXISTENCE; JUST UNADORNED, RADIANT, LIVELY EXISTENCE!

Oh how amazing this is! OK, now there are thoughts coming again, but that quietness, that stillness, that “knowingness” that is present here, now, sees them more clearly than before. Suddenly that silence is booming, reverberating everywhere and nowhere simultaneously, and within it thoughts are returning. But now those thoughts seem more distant, less distinct, less “noisy” in the arena of that booming silence. And as those thoughts become less distinct kiki disappears again. The stories that made up the kiki entity aren’t loud enough to be drawn into anymore, aren’t persistent enough to weave their magic spell and create the landscape of the kingdom of kiki. It is seen how kiki was complicated, how kiki was incomplete, how kiki was unfulfilled, how needy and demanding kiki was; but now kiki is seen for what he really is - an illusion constructed out of thoughts.

Ahhh… such a relief, such rest, such peace. Nothing to do anymore, nowhere to go, no search for something else … yes, yes, yes. Just “this” right here, right now. “This” that is, is enough. It is seen that kiki has dropped away and all that’s left is “this”. There is no boundary seen that makes up “this”, no beginning of it, no end to it. It is here; right here, right now; it’s realized to have always been here. How obvious "this" is, how simple "this" is, how complete "this" is, how fulfilling "this" is.

Could I be anything other than “this”? Of course not, and neither can you.
Last edited by runstrails on Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: This post that has helped so many--I think its important to keep it up here so new members may continue to benefit. Runstrails
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Re: It's Simpler Than You Think

Postby Sighclone » Sat May 08, 2010 7:19 am

How completely lovely...thanks, kiki. All those thoughts...like a radio playing in a car down the street, and then it drives away.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Ralph » Sat May 08, 2010 11:13 am

hmmm.... so it all comes down to "this".... "this" is all there is.... this moment right here, right now.

...so be careful what you believe in or where you put your attention to, it may take you away from "this".

Thanks kiki or should I say thanks "this". :)
Ralph

Postby Plorel » Sat May 08, 2010 11:33 am

Inquiry in grace :)
Who am I without my story?
Plorel

Postby HermitLoon » Sat May 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Yes Kiki - "This" :)
Last edited by HermitLoon on Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace
HermitLoon

Postby James » Sat May 08, 2010 3:30 pm

Beautifully said Kiki, ... That is the necessary giving up of control, and I would add that is a beginning not an end. I would suggest not getting stuck there as a "now-be"... Life is "always, already is and becoming at the same time"... There is no finish line to be found in the future through seeking, nor is there a finish line in the Now by not seeking... It's a paradoxical continuum of ever deepening realizations, and revelations, of what already is, none of which we have any control over; infinitely unfolding in what appears as time, yet it is always only ever experienced when we let go in the Now... The moment is always sufficient unto itself.
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."
James

Postby Webwanderer » Sat May 08, 2010 5:17 pm

Clarity Speaks.

Who would argue? Who could argue? It seems you've already seen through who. :D

WW
Webwanderer

Postby snowheight » Sun May 09, 2010 1:31 am

All of that space. All of that loud silence. A deep deep well of peace. Crystal clarity without an observer. A 5-minute long century.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Postby karmarider » Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 am

Clarity.
karmarider

Postby runstrails » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:28 pm

I wanted to resurrect this thread because Kiki's original post is so wonderful and to the point. I had a very deep realization of this two days ago. It came out of the blue so to speak. After a fairly stressful work day I was hiking in unfamiliar woods and suddenly it was so clear that there is no "i". The "I" or "me" is continually formed by thoughts--it takes effort to form and sustain this "i". It was as clear a realization as I've ever had. For me it was like the made up "I" existed at the level of the head with thoughts swirling around, but who I really was, was completely amorphous and existed at the level of the heart-- there was no identity so to speak and I was able to see the effort that was involved in maintaining the 'I". Ego/mind has a full time job and does it well :wink:
Now I feel that reality lies below the level of the head--and it feels good to rest there--while the chatter continues in my head. This is very very hard to explain in writing, actually.
runstrails

Postby snowheight » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:48 am

runstrails wrote:This is very very hard to explain in writing,

:lol: .. 'dunno 'trails you did a pretty good job of this up there ! ... :lol:
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Postby HermitLoon » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:04 pm

The Observing Presence alone is real - even as the virtual realities of the mind arise.
Peace
HermitLoon

Postby heidi » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:29 pm

Now I feel that reality lies below the level of the head--and it feels good to rest there--while the chatter continues in my head. This is very very hard to explain in writing, actually.

Like those ripples on top of the deep water - they are superficial - and if we are not conscious of that fact, they might do some erosion damage. Thanks for the reminder, I needed it this morning. :-)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby ceekaye » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:20 pm

I read this and thought i would share/ :)

A short story of Ram Dass. There are two waves drifting along in the ocean, one a bit wave in red and yellowbigger than the other. The bigger wave suddenly becomes very sad and upset. The smaller wave asks what's wrong. "You don't want to know," the bigger wave says. "What is it?" the small wave asks. "No - really - it's too terrible. If you knew what I knew, you'd never be happy." The small wave persists. Finally the big wave explains: "You can't see it, but I can see that, not too far from here, all of the waves are crashing on the shore. We are going to disappear." The small wave says," I can make you happy with just six words, but you have to listen very carefully to them." The big wave doesn't believe it -- what does the small wave know that he doesn't -- but he's desperate. After a while of doubting and mocking the small wave, the big wave finally gives in, and asks the small wave to tell him. And so the small wave says: "You're not a wave, you're water."

ceekaye

Postby kiki » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:55 pm

Great story, ceekaye - thanks for sharing.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Next

Return to Awakening / Spiritual Enlightenment / Truth-Realization