Eyelid and toe twitching

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Eyelid and toe twitching

Postby MatheusFrancis » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:19 am

Good evening
I have been reading the book "The Power of Now" and practiced meditation over the past 3 months. I began to present a strong twitching in my eyelids and toes the moment I managed to achieve greater attention throughout my body. Outside of meditation, when I try to take time out of my mind (one of the first tips from the book "The Power of Now") the same situation happens. The muscular contraction of the eyelids becomes so intense that it bothers my eyes and head; the more concentrated, the more present in my body, the greater the contraction and the nuisance. What should I do in this situation?
MatheusFrancis

Re: Eyelid and toe twitching

Postby rachMiel » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:57 am

Matheus, hi. :-)

Sounds annoying! Similar things have happened to me, though more in the mental than physical realm. I'm quite sure they were attempts from my ego to sabotage meditation/mindfulness, because ego sees non-ego-centered activities like these to be threats to its (ego's) dominance over the organism.

I don't have much to offer you in terms of help dealing with your issue, but I will pass along that in a course I'm taking now in Dzogchen meditation, we just went through a long section on nyams = physical and mental "side effects" that can result from meditating. The list is HUGE! And some of the side effects are really weird: "Outer disturbances such as the magical displays of gods and demons, inner disturbances including various physical illnesses, and secret disturbances of unpredictable experiences of joy and sorrow can all arise." (That's the tip of the iceberg.) So if I can offer any advice to you, I guess it would be: Try not to take your nyams too seriously. Most likely they're harmless. And, like some of the strangest nyams discussed in the course, yours might in fact indicate that the meditation is WORKING.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Return to Questions