"damaged brain" and consciousness

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Agnieszka

"damaged brain" and consciousness

Post by Agnieszka » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:02 pm

In A New Earth Eckhart says that consciousness enters this realm through the human brain. Then he asserts: "When the brain gets damaged, it does not mean you lose consciousness. It means consciousness can no longer use that form to enter this dimension". He continues by saying that consciousness IS and therefore you cannot lose it, since one cannot lose something that one IS. Ok, brain-damaged person doesn't lose it but it cannot "enter this dimension" through his mulfunctioning brain.
ET does not elaborate on this topic in NE, i.e. he doesn't specify how else, in his view, a human being with damaged brain can be aware of his own true nature=consciousnes.
Have you by chance heard ET mention other possibilities for people with damaged brain?
Thank you,
agn

blueviceroy

Re: "damaged brain" and consciousness

Post by blueviceroy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:58 am

I think it is impossible to assertain the "amount" of awareness in any of us independent of our ability to express awareness.

Consiousness is present , period. A damaged device can no longer perform or allow identification processes to become fully mature.

A radio won't work unless it's components are properly functional. We inhabit the nervous system of a living creature, We are the energy that compells it exist.

Any damage to the system and our use is curtailed ( lack of awareness)

Consiousness is independant of intellect , free of memory, has no identity.It will exist with or without conditioning.

Maturing to a point where the intellect allows this presence to fill us and take over is the goal, prolly won't happen if all the faculties of higher thought aren't working.

weopposedeception

Post by weopposedeception » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:38 am

I'm thinking that a mature intellect may be more of a hindrance than a prerequisite.

Agnieszka

Post by Agnieszka » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:58 pm

Thank you.
As I've always thought, enlightenment (being aware of one's consciousness, living in the realm of consiousness all the time, using it) is not available to everybody, at least not in the same degree. Some people have easier "access", some more difficult, and some none at all :( .
Perhaps those most injured live totally in the now but are not conscious of it?
Unless there are other "channels", which ET doesn't mention...
IMO, generally, intellect is neither an obstacle nor a facilitation. If one identifies with it, i.e. "lives in the head", it's an obstacle. And can be a facilitation when a person is able to begin asking most fundamental questions on human life purpose, our true identity, etc.
By the way, there have always been many fully aware and very simple people on our planet.
:)

Deus

Post by Deus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:01 am

Once your brain changes, so does your nature. The best and only thing you can do is to accept it and move on. People lose limbs all the time, and many of those people eventually experience having ghost limbs. They can feel their limbs even though they're not there. Limbs, like much of the brain, are attributes. Theyre not you. Read Jonah.