Intrusive Thoughts

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Placebo

Intrusive Thoughts

Post by Placebo » Fri May 24, 2019 7:11 pm

Hey everyone! Hope all is well.

My question involves constant intrusive thoughts. They consist of images that gross me out to a high degree such as gore.

A huge feeling of contraction and tension follows. I realize that it is me who is reacting to the thoughts. But it feels like an automatic, knee jerk reaction. How do I just let these thoughts be? Did I create some kind of automatic neural connection which causes the intense contraction so quickly?

Thank you very much.

Webwanderer

Re: Intrusive Thoughts

Post by Webwanderer » Sat May 25, 2019 2:02 pm

I would suggest that the problem is not so much with the thoughts of gore, but with the self-judgment that seems to be linked to them. You mention a sense of contraction and tension that follows them. Therein lies the result of judgment.

I suggest you begin to look at those unwanted thoughts that arise with indifference. Don't feed them with a context of somehow being wrong. Rather, see them as just an unwanted habit of thought that you've now chosen to ignore. Let em go, and refocus on something you prefer - or just relax into the enjoyable feeling of being. Breathe a little. Experience what you are.

WW

Placebo

Post by Placebo » Tue May 28, 2019 10:16 pm

Thanks WW. I'm trying to ignore without force more and more. They're still there but progress is being made. If course they won't disappear overnight since I have so much attention to them.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Tue May 28, 2019 11:10 pm

Glad to hear you can feel the progress Placebo. Another helpful tool in ridding yourself of these unwanted annoyances is to laugh them off. It is a little funny when you think of the dumb things we do to ourselves with our addictive thinking. See the humor in it and you've got it beat.

WW