Is Awakening Our Purpose?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
aaphid

Is Awakening Our Purpose?

Post by aaphid » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:49 am

"Your inner purpose is to awaken. It is as simple as that. You share that purpose with every other person on the planet"

If this is true then why is it so elusive?

Many people can study and practice spiritual teachings for many years but it appears that only a rare few reach awakening. And for those that do follow a spiritual practice but have not found awakening their lives are still affected by suffering.

Webwanderer

Re: Is Awakening Our Purpose?

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:32 am

Welcome to the forum.
aaphid wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:49 am
And for those that do follow a spiritual practice but have not found awakening their lives are still affected by suffering.
Suffering is the contrast that offers the motivation to ask deeper questions about life.

"Your inner purpose is to awaken. It is as simple as that. You share that purpose with every other person on the planet"
I notice this is in quotes, but the origin is not cited. In general I don't entirely agree that this is our inner purpose. My take is that our inner purpose is to grow, expand and evolve as Conscious Beings. Awakening in this physical life is just one element of that evolution - albeit a very valuable one. So in a limited sense awakening is a purpose in aiding that expansion. The human experience itself however, is by nature evolutionary, whether awakened or not.

If this is true then why is it so elusive?
It's elusive because we choose for it to be a challenge. Over coming that challenge is the fuel of the expansion of consciousness. From a Spiritual sense, we feel we are up to it. Consider, we are eternal in our True Nature beyond this human expression. 'Time' is on our side.

WW