Can awakening happen in stages?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
SalomeDH

Post by SalomeDH » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:52 am

Moderator's note: Despite the numbered points of the original poster I broke this block of text into separate paragraphs to make it more readable.

And can you be just partially awake? It seems/feels to me that I am understanding bits and pieces of "what essentially is" but I don't think I've been completely awakened. So far-

1. Many years ago, while looking up at the moon, I thought about all the humans and even pre-humans that must have looked up and seen the same thing. I thought to myself that my perception of seeing it must exactly match at least one person's perception in the past, to the point that in that moment I WAS them on an essential level and would be again (in perception or thought pattern) after I'm gone. However, I just took this to be that I had a different view of reincarnation (since I thought others believed it meant a "you" coming back in a different body and that's not what I was saying).

2. On another occasion more recently but still years ago I read a quote that said something like "You are the universe trying to understand itself". It instantly made sense to me and I put that together with my idea about reincarnation of perception.

3. I recently had a night when my negative self-thoughts were just non-stop and I was desperate, crying to myself thinking I can't live like this (not "I can't live with myself" :). The next morning while driving to work I thought about the "You are the universe" quote and I suddenly had the notion that maybe the "unsatisfactory me" was just a role the universe was playing through me. The idea that "it is what it is just let it play out and be okay with it" brought me sudden peace. But some days I thought my new idea was a cop-out and making excuses for being such a misfit.

4. A few months ago, a doctor prescribed Prednisone for foot inflamation. I was a different person- happy and in the moment. I remember suddenly seeing people differently and being present with them. Time nearly stopped for about a week. I stood outside a lot and felt childlike. It felt like nature was "looking" at me and it felt good. I was eating a piece of pie and remember hearing my fork scrape across my plate and it was like pure bliss. It seemed like I was mixed up in the molecules of everything around me. I haven't been able to get that feeling back but I know what it is. (Looked it up and read that Prednisone can bring manic and other psychological states). Does knowing what it feels like count as some awakening?

5. I found Eckhart Tolle on the internet. Don't remember what I googled. Can't stop listening, analyzing and trying to learn. So if I'm trying to learn and practice being present, does that mean I'm not awake yet? I don't really feel yet like I AM one with other people, but practicing and TRYING to feel it. Thanks and sorry this was so long.

Webwanderer

Re: Can awakening happen in stages?

Post by Webwanderer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:22 pm

Yes, indeed it can and is almost always the case.

Welcome to the forum.

WW

SalomeDH

Post by SalomeDH » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:14 pm

Thank you for that! Ha ha such a short answer to such a long question -looking back it appears I just really wanted to share my story ;).

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:45 am

It's a very good story. It's pretty much the same with all of us. We each have our own unique story of how we came to the path we are on. Anyway, enjoy the forum. You'll find many of those stories to peruse.

WW

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:34 am

I found Eckhart Tolle on the internet. Don't remember what I googled. Can't stop listening, analyzing and trying to learn. So if I'm trying to learn and practice being present, does that mean I'm not awake yet?
To keep listening, reading and thinking about this is standard behavior for most everyone when they first begin to explore this sort of thing, so keep doing that and use the pointers he provides to become present - that's what's most important, the 'tasting' of presence. Once you become present review past material and you will have a much better understanding of it, an understanding born of experience. Suddenly things that were unclear before become crystal clear.
I don't really feel yet like I AM one with other people,...
I wouldn't be concerned about that at all. It's a kind of expectation of what you think should happen. Set aside expectations because if you have them they will set you up for disappointment and frustration, and instead just look to become consciously present to what is without any mental interference, to be consciously witnessing 'now', free of expectations, labels and judgments about anything, and free of all manner of what mind has to say about it.

The beauty of now/presence is that it is always available, always at hand because now is all there ever is. There is no difference between now/presence and one's true nature. It is that that is one with everything.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

SalomeDH

Post by SalomeDH » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:40 am

Helpful- focusing on just that one thing simplifies things quite a bit. Thank you.