How to Soren surrender to the now

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Hockey66

How to Soren surrender to the now

Post by Hockey66 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:54 pm

Hi.

I'm stuck, because Eckhart starts off answering this quotation by saying to acknowledge the resistance and observe it, but in the same paragraph he also says that all resistance is unconscious.

How is it possible to observe unconscious activity and especially be there when it starts?

With appreciation. Thank you.

Sighclone

Re: How to Soren surrender to the now

Post by Sighclone » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:44 pm

Welcome Hockey66!

Of course you can't observe anything you are not aware of. By "unconscious," ET means "not awake." By "not awake" he means unevolved and ego-driven. The ego resists almost everything - it sees most events as threats. He asks us to simply be aware when an egoic reflex arises...to be a witness, not a participant. This suggests a "higher awareness" in which we are Present with the many permutations and manifestations of ego. In that presence is also the freedom to not act on the impulse of ego.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Hockey66

Post by Hockey66 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:27 pm

Thank you so so much Andy.

I guess by unconscious, he means without (sufficient) consciousness.

Unlike subconscious.

Dcdc

Post by Dcdc » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:49 pm

Hey, mate. :- )

I'd suggest to you follow your breathing. In fact, I suggest one step further: follow each nano-second and each nano-moment of the breathing's process.

Best regards.