I refuse to surrender to what is. Isn't it giving up?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
addman16

I refuse to surrender to what is. Isn't it giving up?

Post by addman16 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:09 pm

I don't like the concept of surrendering to what is, to me surrender means to give up and resign yourself to the pain of your life situation. Currently I am very unhappy with my life. I am single and feel lonley, I don't have any friends and I am fat and out of shape. I deal with depression and social anxiety. I make plans to try and remedy my life situation which gives me hope that things could get better.

Yet to surrender means to me to become trapped with no way out, doomed to suffer till "death". I want out and that means I have to fight my way out. I don't want peace at the cost of not getting a better happier life.

To surrender means accepting the loneliness and unhappiness.

I don't understand how one can surrender to something that is painful and invite the pain and observe it and make peace with it. Just like if you get sick and your immune system decided to make peace, instead of fighting the virus.

kiki

Re: I refuse to surrender to what is. Isn't it giving up?

Post by kiki » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:39 pm

Welcome to the forum, addman16.

Change what you can (which is what you want to do). There's certainly nothing wrong with that. Situations that arise that are impossible to change one must accept, otherwise you will suffer. Suffering is in the mind only, so acceptance is a way around suffering.

Loneliness is, believe it or not, a choice one makes. Right now it seems you have this idea that you must have someone else in your life to be happy. Is that really true or is that something you have come to believe is true? Being single doesn't necessarily lead to loneliness, and in fact can be quite advantageous - it can allow you to be single minded in pursuit of activities that promote personal growth and expansion of consciousness. As far as personal friends go most people are lucky to have one or two actual close ones with the remaining people being friendly acquaintances.

It so happens that I have been single my entire life (and I am about to turn 69 in a few months) and my list of personal friends is fewer than the number of fingers on one hand. However, I am friendly with everyone I meet and strive to be on good terms with everyone I encounter. My advice is to make others feel accepted and cared for, but do this without any agenda or expectation in return. At the very least you will make someone else's day a little brighter, and if your own life becomes a little less painful when you do that then that's an added bonus. Even if it is to greet others with a smile and/or a little compliment or friendly chat that can lead to wonderful surprises. But again, be selfless rather than looking for or expecting something in return. So if nothing comes of it then accept that fact. So, see this as an opportunity for you to be creative in how to put others' welfare above your own.

Overweight? Do something about it. Eating healthy and getting fit will do wonders for one's personal attitude and how they view life in general. As you get healthier, fitter and stronger you will gain confidence and your self-image will improve, and that will motivate you to keep it going.

Establishing a regular meditation routine can undermine the habit of viewing one's life and situation from a mental perspective. It's the mental viewpoint that creates the suffering you seem to be experiencing. In time you will see things as they are and not as how you believe them to be, and with that comes peace.

Spend more time outdoors if you can even if it's just to walk around the block. Simply being in natural surroundings with regularity is healthier than remaining indoors for extended periods of time. And if you can find an outdoor activity to do then go for it, whether it's riding a bike, skating or whatever. Learn to be observant in nature by putting attention on what's 'out there' rather than dwelling on what mind is doing. Simply 'see' things out there just as they are, without judgment or attaching labels/names to anything. This is good practice that can also be applied to your 'inner life' as well. Judgment of others and especially of oneself is a sure fire way of becoming lost in thinking again.

Your 'job', then, is to overcome the inertia of what you've become accustomed to doing and the way you've been thinking. So the bottom line is this: Do what you can to change what you want to change, and accept those things and situations that cannot be changed. And if nothing changes after all of that then accept that as well.

Once again, welcome to the forum.

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:55 am

addman16 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:09 pm
To surrender means accepting the loneliness and unhappiness.
Welcome to the forum addman16.

I would suggest that surrender in a spiritual context does not mean accepting the loneliness and unhappiness and just live with it. There is an entirely different context that is meant to help us get beyond these painful conditions. Surrender, in a more awakened understanding, means accepting the conditions of our life so as to work through them without resistance. It's the resistance to our circumstances that causes us most of our pain.

Once we are free of resistance by surrendering to our conditions existence, then more of our attention is free to be placed on how we want things to be. We have to get out of no, no, no context thinking, and get into yes, yes, yes, here is my goal. One looks at what we don't want, and thereby keeping our attention on it and energy flowing into it, and the other sets our attention on how we want things to be and thereby refocusing energy into more preferable conditions.

Energy is creative. At our fundamental core, we are intelligent energy. We create in an ongoing basis whether consciously with intent, or unconsciously by our programming.

Surrender is simply designed to break the focus of our attention away from the energetic focus of resistance - the no, no, no. The more you see what you don't want, the more you give it life. So surrender to what is to break the resistance mindset, and begin to live in an energy focus of what you want life to be.

WW

turiya

Post by turiya » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:03 pm

A good quote from Practicing the Power of Now:

“It is the quality of your consciousness at this moment that is the main determinant of what kind of future you will experience, so to surrender is the most important thing you can do to bring about positive change. Any action you take is secondary. No truly positive action can arise out of an unsurrendered state of consciousness. To some people, surrender may have negative connotations, implying defeat, giving up, failing to rise to the challenges of life, becoming lethargic, and so on. True surrender, however, is something entirely different. It does not mean to passively put up with whatever situation you find yourself in and to do nothing about it. Nor does it mean to cease making plans or initiating positive action. Surrender is the simple but profound wisdom of yielding to rather than opposing the flow of life. The only place where you can experience the flow of life is the Now, so to surrender is to accept the present moment unconditionally and without reservation.”

:D
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei