Wandering mind

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
mindcontrol

Wandering mind

Post by mindcontrol » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:33 pm

To begin briefly about myself: I been into meditations not so long. I discovered Eckhart Tolle when I was attending a local NVC(non-violent communication) based anger management class around 3 months ago. The teacher pointed Eckhart Tolle's YouTube videos to me because there were some similar methods about the observation of thought. I got really interested and I started meditating and observing my thought daily, which I believe it helped me to make the anger almost completely gone.
Before I was stressed and almost on the edge so once I discovered that I can notice my feelings and thoughts I suddenly was living in this awareness I never had before for almost a month which felt quite amazing and I was truly happy during that time. Now all that seems to be gone and I guess I am more close to a normal state but what has happened is that I find it now more difficult to observe my thoughts and focus. I almost feel like my mind is getting more power over me. When I was on the edge somehow the state of feeling was so extreme that paying attention & noticing thoughts was easier if it makes any sense. I am worried if I am going back again towards the stress I come from. I found this community so just wanted to ask if it seems like I am doing something wrong or if its normal. I don't have that many people around to talk about these things.

Webwanderer

Re: Wandering mind

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:34 am

I found this community so just wanted to ask if it seems like I am doing something wrong or if its normal.
Welcome to the forum. I would say it is quite normal. The things in our psyche that bring us pain tend to be well established from a long history of conditioning beliefs. So when we discover something as refreshing as Tolle's teachings their effect is often short lived. It's because the conscious mind recognizes the value of the new perspective, but the old entrenched beliefs about self and life are still active in the subconscious.

So what to do? That's where practices such as meditation and certain types of yoga come in - or for that matter any practice that can more readily effect the subconscious. Meditation is well known to have better access to the subconscious than does just observing thought, although both have considerable value. They do however, work better in tandem. In meditation we get into deeper states of consciousness where the subconscious belief structures live.

For most it is a life long process that can seem to be of little value at times as the restructured processes of the deeper consciousness often take a while to come to the surface in ways that become part of a new, more aware, waking perspective. Stay with it. Be patient. Every effort we make is cumulative over time. Learn effective ways to refocus your thinking processes including ever-ready genuine forgiveness of self for what the ego likes to label as failures. Life is a learning experience, especially once one awakens to the knowing that there is a better way to live and be.

WW