confusion

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
bqeuux

confusion

Post by bqeuux » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:58 pm

Hello!

I listen to a zen master in my mother tongue. His dharma talk and q&a sessions helped me. However of course his usage of language don't help me bring presence as Eckhart teachings. And I enjoy more Eckhart teachings (I use his free videos to remember myself to do the spiritual practices [innerbody awareness and breathing focus])
This zen teacher says it is important to have a spiritual teacher and have face to face contanct with him or her. Or it could be happen that the learner can leave the spiritual path. I read Eckhart books (The power of the now and the New Earth) I think 9 years ago, and from then I practice as much as I can the above mentioned two spiritual practice. And I enjoy doing it.

Should I need a face to face contact with my spiritual teacher? I do not feel the need of a face to face contact. However if it is beneficial I am willing to do it.

This zen master taught to me (I see him in videos only) the tantien focus, which is a core zen practice, and I realised that my mind is more calm when I focus to my tantien. (And I can do the innerbody awareness simultaneously)

Now I am a bit confused, because I listen to two teachers. Ultimately, because I get confused because of the Hungarian Zen master, maybe I should not follow his teachings. The point is that I get confused, It is not strengten my practice. Maybe this master not talking in my language in terms of helpingness.

What would you advice to me?

And The formal meditation just do not work for me. I use Eckhart's recommendations. I need a place to ask my questions. Maybe this is that place.

Thank you for your help!

kiki

Re: confusion

Post by kiki » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:10 pm

Use what works for you no matter what the source. It's not essential to have face-to-face encounters with anyone, although it can be convenient if you need something clarified. Over time you will find what doesn't work now will work for you later as you mature into recognizing and resting in/as essential nature. No one teaching or pointing out instruction is applicable to everyone due to one's unique conditioning. As that conditioning weakens via whatever you are doing you broaden the scope of what will work for you.

My 27 year regimen of daily formal meditation ceased when I stumbled upon Tolle, only to be picked up again years later simply because I enjoyed the practice. It's no longer a rigid practice to get something I didn't think I already had, but instead is more of a means of exploring the nature of consciousness.

Welcome to the forum, and feel free to submit whatever questions you have.

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

end

Post by end » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:46 pm

Kiki's answer is great like always! I would like to add something that he doesn't mentioned directly but did it in some context: The most important thing maybe is one to face his true self.
This can happen with or without zen master, usually the second option works just fine.

kiki

Post by kiki » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:14 am

Good point, end. Ultimately, the best teacher is one's own Self/essential nature.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Louis More

Post by Louis More » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:20 pm

One thing that came to me today, even if somebody says something from the heart (pure conscious) the person receiving the message will filter this message through language and its understanding of said words.

Then it is very important to follow our path, to use this 'gurus' words to find our own way to find the truth nature that everything belongs to.

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:49 am

Thanks for your input, Louis More. You are onto something important. The more in-tune to one's own heart the greater the understanding of others' words. By heart, I mean maintaining an attitude of receiving and listening with non-judgmental openness. In other words, fully listening instead of thinking about how to respond as they are communicating. Being open and non-judgmental of what is heard or read will bring a stillness, silence and receptivity to what is related.

I occasionally advise people to write carefully/mindfully when relating insights they have had, taking time to feel the truthfulness and accuracy of what is written. When stuck, remain still and wait for the right words and phrasing to arise. Continue to compose, edit and reread until they give you that Goldilocks feeling of being 'just right' in expressing what you are trying to convey.

Because this kind of writing has the effect of drawing you inwardly toward source those reading them will be more easily drawn inwardly as well. If both the composer and reader are fully present, writing and receiving from stillness, the communication will be enhanced and a resonance will develop in the reader/listener where they can feel that same truthfulness. When others write/speak well, from the depth of their being, it will seem as if you are the author of those words.
---

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:57 pm

kiki wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:49 am
I occasionally advise people to write carefully/mindfully when relating insights they have had, taking time to feel the truthfulness and accuracy of what is written. When stuck, remain still and wait for the right words and phrasing to arise. Continue to compose, edit and reread until they give you that Goldilocks feeling of being 'just right' in expressing what you are trying to convey.

Because this kind of writing has the effect of drawing you inwardly toward source those reading them will be more easily drawn inwardly as well.
This is pure gold.

WW

kiki

Post by kiki » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:45 pm

Thanks, WW.
---

Louis More

Post by Louis More » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:43 am

Oh kiki it is very pleasant to read this, because you described really well what is the feeling when I read your posts.

The funny thing is, when I had this insight it came vast/magnificent with lots of energy. But I was at work, in a very busy day and I just want to put it in this topic before I lost it, and the fact that I only use this website through my phone doesn't really helped. So it lost its energy and I resume it with three lines.

English it's not my mother language, but when I write more present/conscious it doesn't matter, words just comes more easily. So I promised to myself to respond to you with presence (Sunday morning it is).

Another thing worthy to mention it is how timeless the writing becomes when it's from the heart, if we read an old book, an old post from here it resonates the same way, presence really is timeless. And someone who is deeply down in the mind/ego, can read this entire forum without seeing the truth behind the words, so it is really important to be open, because something might click, and makes more clicks, opening a path to discover the true nature, where all of our paths meet.
By heart, I mean maintaining an attitude of receiving and listening with non-judgmental openness
When we have this attitude even the words from someone who speaks unconscious serves us to see the truth through the eyes of someone else that suffers, it seems like it brings more presence to us and to act from this place only brings light to the word.
Even the unconscious can makes us more conscious :D

Louismore

bqeuux

Post by bqeuux » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:07 pm

I am very happy :)! Thank you! In very challenging times "Presence first" is my approach. Now, really challenging to me is not to practice when I face unconciousness, but when there is no challenge and everything seems to me calm :).

Presence first! Thank to all of you! :)

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:59 am

Now, really challenging to me is not to practice when I face unconciousness, but when there is no challenge and everything seems to me calm
I think of those unchallenging times as training time. Get so used to returning to presence in the unchallenging times leads to automatic return to presence when more challenging times come. Just like training wheels on a bike helps to learn balance so that you can more easily transition from four to two wheels when learning to ride a bike.
---

bqeuux

Post by bqeuux » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:29 pm

Thank you very much! :)